• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Suggestions for bins with $1100.00 budget? (1 Viewer)

Thank you all for the helpful advice.

I am considering the following.

Kowa Genesis 8x33
Minox HG 8x33
Meopta Meostar 8x32
Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32

It seems that your needs can be met with a "general purpose" binocular, and IMO a good 8x30-33 such as the ones you mentioned are exactly that. I would not recommend a 8x42mm bino for what you want to do. I hardly ever use mine, as the extra bulk/weight and decreased FOV are not worth the slightly larger EP and (often) extra cost.

Between those you listed, I would pick either the Kowa or the Zeiss. Know that the Kowa has an extremely fast focus wheel. I would prefer our Genesis' wheel to be a bit slower. The Zeiss' wheel however is very good in all characteristics. Also know that the Kowa objective covers stay on very well, but the Zeiss' don't stay on at all. In fact, the Zeiss covers are the absolute worst I've ever seen or used, and by a large margin. The Zeiss has a very long ER. Be aware that the Zeiss' eyecups are rather hard to move, and that there are more positions that you would think. There are instances where people thought there wasn't much ER, when in fact they just didn't adjust the eyecups outward far enough. Choosing between the two would be very hard if they were the same price. However, I've seen the Zeiss at lower prices than the Kowa, so the Zeiss is the one I would get if I were buying something new today.

The examples of the Meopta I've used had very stiff focus wheels. Also had a color bias that would not bother me, but know that it is there. I wanted to like the Meostar/Cabela's 8x32, but the focus wheel was too jerky and sticky to make me like it. If you get one, be sure that you get it from a place that will let you return it if you don't like it.

I can't tell you about the Minox, but I can say that every Minox I've ever used has been a moderate to severe disappointment, and I have sworn off that brand forever. Yes, there will be somebody along here soon enough that will tell me that they love them, but I certainly do not, and would not ever recommend one. At every price point they are found, there is something else that is better.

Hello Ibramr,

I believe that you may be quoting the price for the demo. I am certain that Leica demos do not have the same guarantee as new ones. However, Leica is known for their reliable binoculars. Cameralandny's Zeiss Conquest Demo at $675 is practically a steal, given that Zeiss provides the same guarantee for their demos as their new ones. Besides, Cameralandny has a good reputation.

If Hubcap wanted to go over budget their 8x32 FL demo would be worthwhile. I bought one of those demos, eight years, ago. My only problem was with an eye cup, which Zeiss fixed, quite quickly.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

Arthur,

I purchased a Leica Ultravid 8x42 Blackline Demo from Camera Land this past February. It came with a Limited Warranty of 10 years. The green Limited Warranty card stated in red ink that it was CERTIFIED PRE-OWNED. It was substantially discounted, priced at $1299.99, although it looked like it had never been out of it's box.

I went to the Leica Website but was not able to find information about the length of their new binocular warranty. I believe that it is a Limited Lifetime Warranty from what I could find on the Company7 website.

Bob

Arthur,

I purchased a Leica Ultravid 8x42 Blackline Demo from Camera Land this past February. It came with a Limited Warranty of 10 years. The green Limited Warranty card stated in red ink that it was CERTIFIED PRE-OWNED. It was substantially discounted, priced at $1249.99, although it looked like it had never been out of it's box.

I went to the Leica Website but was not able to find information about the length of their new binocular warranty. I believe that it is a Limited Lifetime Warranty from what I could find on the Company7 website.

Bob

Hello Bob,

Yes, Leica has two levels of warranty. My handsome red bodied 8x32 BN Demo, bought in 2005, is now nearly out of warranty. My FL's will enjoy the full Zeiss warranty.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :hi:

Hello Bob,

Yes, Leica has two levels of warranty. My handsome red bodied 8x32 BN Demo, bought in 2005, is now nearly out of warranty. My FL's will enjoy the full Zeiss warranty.

Happy bird watching,

Better sell your Red Arthur, how much are you asking? Keep in mind, rarity or not, the new owner will be footing the bill for repairs.

Brock

Hello Ibramr,

I believe that you may be quoting the price for the demo. I am certain that Leica demos do not have the same guarantee as new ones. However, Leica is known for their reliable binoculars. Cameralandny's Zeiss Conquest Demo at $675 is practically a steal, given that Zeiss provides the same guarantee for their demos as their new ones. Besides, Cameralandny has a good reputation.

If Hubcap wanted to go over budget their 8x32 FL demo would be worthwhile. I bought one of those demos, eight years, ago. My only problem was with an eye cup, which Zeiss fixed, quite quickly.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

Greetings Arthur.

Yes, you are right. I referenced the demo model. And yes, the demo model does not come with the three-year passport warranty plus the 10 year limited warranty. It comes with only the later, that is the 10 year limited warranty.

The passport warranty is very nice to have--however, I have three of them, and none of the three pairs needed them so far--one is about to expire. Leica binoculars are really very nice with built quality that is bound to please many, many, of the birders here in the forum, most likely, including hubcap.

And yes, you are right. The Zeiss 8x32 FL is a wonderful pair of binoculars that enjoys a very good warranty support. And despite of its superior attributes, it is the least used of my binoculars. Please do not ask me why (because I honestly do not know the exact reason) but the Leica Trinovid 8x32 BN gets more use for certain. The new Leica Trinovid 8x42 is optically very close to the Trinovid 8x32 (and in a way superior), hence my recommendation above.

I guess hubcap will be a very happy user with either of the Zeiss 8x32 FL or the Leica Trinovid 8x42 crossing the finish line. But if budget is an issue, the Trinovid demo is $400 cheaper. This is just enough to buy a second demo-cum-new 8x20 Trinovid BCA for urban hikes. Good luck.

Last edited:
Well I ordered bins.
Nothing on my list and way under my budget:-O
Leupold 8x32 BX-3 Mojave

Thanks to all for all the suggestions and comments,B :)

Well I ordered bins.
Leupold 8x32 BX-3 Mojave

The difference in those and the top of your budget will be an incremental difference. Good choice.

Well I ordered bins.
Leupold 8x32 BX-3 Mojave

Hello Hubcap,

Enjoy the binocular and use it well.

Happy bird watching,

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back