• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Supertop100 (1 Viewer)

Mickymouse

Ubuntu Linux user
Is there any way of blocking or skipping it, my page loading time is being held up for ages waiting for it, is it necessary???

Mick

Mickymouse said:
Is there any way of blocking or skipping it, my page loading time is being held up for ages waiting for it, is it necessary???

Mick

It seems to be the last thing that loads on any page, so I just hit 'Stop' (the red X on the toolbar) to stop it continuing to load, having had much the same problem. That technique works with that particular thingy, but not all, making some pages on other sites a pain in the threepennies.

Last edited:
Yes, we are reviewing the situation with top100 ... they seem to have some serious problems. Everyone knows we're the number one birding site, so it's not that important having it these days.
cheers,
Andy

Thanks for that guys, I have tried hitting stop but that is no good if you want to reply, because it stops loading the rest of the reply panel if you know what I mean.
Yep BF is number one, even if it wasn't it is my personal number one site.

Mick

Mickymouse said:
Thanks for that guys, I have tried hitting stop but that is no good if you want to reply, because it stops loading the rest of the reply panel if you know what I mean.
Yep BF is number one, even if it wasn't it is my personal number one site.

Mick

That's odd. It didn't stop mine this time. If you look at the task bar while the page is loading, and wait till only the ST100.gif doodah name appears on it (which is always the last 'item'), then maybe you'll be able to dodge that problem.

You could add an entry to your host file and point it to null, then it would never load.

I won't post a how-to just in case they are paying advertisers.

They're not paying advertisers. Their site seems to be down more than up. My sites don't seem to get many hits from their viewers anymore. I'm seriously thinking about removing them from mine. My sites rankings is in no way as good as this site is on Supertop 100. I don't think they are worth the hastle anymore.

BradP said:
You could add an entry to your host file and point it to null, then it would never load.

I won't post a how-to just in case they are paying advertisers.

I've just altered a setting in Firefox which stops the Supertop100 from loading:

From Firefox Tools menu, select 'Options' -> 'Web Features' -> 'Load Images' -> then click on the 'Exceptions' button and enter in the box: 'www.supertop100.com' then click the button marked 'block'.

BF now loads up superfast with no problems - as yet .........

Alan99 said:
I've just altered a setting in Firefox which stops the Supertop100 from loading:

From Firefox Tools menu, select 'Options' -> 'Web Features' -> 'Load Images' -> then click on the 'Exceptions' button and enter in the box: 'www.supertop100.com' then click the button marked 'block'.

BF now loads up superfast with no problems - as yet .........
Just done that and this is the first test, so far much better, what annoys me however is, why didn't I think of that :C
Thanks Alan

Mick

I've tried this but it doesn't match up with my computer. I'm using XP so I wonder if that's the difference. I can follow the instructions up to the point where I should enter the exceptions. I can't find an Exceptions button. I'd love to get rid of this annoying Supertop100 nonsense but can't seem to do so.
Suggestions? Help? :h?:
Thanks!

Mickymouse said:
Just done that and this is the first test, so far much better, what annoys me however is, why didn't I think of that :C
Thanks Alan

Mick
I did it a simpler way, by right clicking on the supertop icon at the bottom of the page and selected "Block Images from Supertop". Now I don't get the problem either. I don't know if this will also work with Internet Explorer though.
David

O.K. everyone, we've got rid of that annoying supertop100 system... It was a bit of fun in the beginning but we've got a long way past the stage where we are interested in being top of some list, it's probably more suited to smaller websites (when it works!!)

regards,
Andy

It was fun when it worked. However even smaller sites found it annoying when it was taking forever for their page to load because supertop100 was down. Those who still have dial up modems rally got t'ed. I wonder what happen to them.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back