• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swaro video (1 Viewer)

Thanks for posting - interesting!

But I must say that I had imagined a more clinically clean (sterile) indoor environment, people with white coats and gloves, and that the process would be more high-tech.. |^|

The video is really interesting. But i wonder how much of his old EL model is left after Swaro took care of it. It seems that he became a almost new binocular. I mean new armouring, new housing, a few rings, screws and so on. Not that i dislike it, its quiet the contrary. Never thought that the Swaro service is THAT good. But is this the real common practice or more of a commercial spot?

It has somewhat of a "too good to be true".

Odradek, post 6,
The procedure of swarovski repairs, shown in the video, is comon Swarovski policy, as I heard from many binocular shops in The Netherlands and Belgium. Someimes it goes sofa that a binocular which a collector only wants to be cleaned and repaired is returned as a complete new instrument in which lenses have coatings, which the original instrument did not have.
Leica also performs such complete repairs, only in his case the customer had to pay a high price.
Gijs

Thank you Gijs!

I did not expected such a massive service program. But as a collector it could be horrible to see the "old darling" refurbished that way.

Thank you Gijs!

I did not expected such a massive service program. But as a collector it could be horrible to see the "old darling" refurbished that way.

I agree - it ''bastardizes'' the model if they mess around with new prisms, coatings, lens etc.

I have an old, non-phase-coated 10x40B, that could be improved with new coatings, phase-coating and all that but I wanted this model, and I wasn't after state-of-the-art optics - more like I wanted optics from that time period. As a collector, the original view is part of the character of the binoc. I wouldn't want all my bins to look like FL's, even if the view is great - it's not really the point.

Kinda like sticking a 911 motor into a 356.......

...I did not expected such a massive service program. But as a collector it could be horrible to see the "old darling" refurbished that way...

When I sent in my 8.5x42 EL a few years ago for service on the focusing knob, I specifically requested that they not replace anything that didn't need to be replaced in order to fix them. They complied with my request and included a hand written note inviting me to send them in for a more comprehensive refurbishing in the future if I ever changed my mind.

--AP

... Never thought that the Swaro service is THAT good. But is this the real common practice or more of a commercial spot?

It has somewhat of a "too good to be true".

Odradek,

I've attached the three page receipt for my 8x30 SLC repair, which literally bursts with goodness. :t:

For collectors: Since it received a new body in 2011, it received a new serial number coded for 2011.

Attachments

• Swaro 8x30 repair receipt 2011.pdf
    159.6 KB · Views: 228
I am hardly thinking about buying a Swarovski SLC. And as more i hear from a service like this as more i became convinced to buy such a thing ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back