• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski 8x25 CL-P best compact binocular? (1 Viewer)

Chimay is "re-fermented" in the bottle. I believe this is a process, similar to champagne, where yeast is added in the bottle to continue fermentation.

It makes for some very fizzy stuff. The wired-on cork, like a champagne bottle, is a clue. I think it continues to ferment in the stomach|8|| because (for me) it becomes the gift that keeps on giving.

I still have it now and then 'cause it's good. I might be a slow learner. B :)

Last edited:
Chimay is "re-fermented" in the bottle. I believe this is a process, similar to champagne, where yeast is added in the bottle to continue fermentation.

It makes for some very fizzy stuff. The wired-on cork, like a champagne bottle, is a clue. I think it continues to ferment in the stomach|8|| because (for me) it becomes the gift that keeps on giving.

I still have it now and then 'cause it's good. I might be a slow learner. B :)

Sounds like Worthington White Shield that I had a taste for decades ago. You left the 'dregs' out if you wanted something smoother and left them in for that authentic eye-watering, nose-tormenting, tongue-tickling effect.

Guess we might be getting a bit off topic here.

Lee

Dennis,
Get those mincepies of yours tested.

Besides 8x32 anyway which has better ergonomics and better optics than the Zeiss HD.[/QUOTE]

To get the thread back on topic. If you could only have one binocular what would it be. A Swarovski 8x30 CL or Swarovski 8x25 CL-P?

If I had to choose only from Swaro I'd go for the 8x30 for its easier view and it does feel so nice in the hand.

Given an open choice I'd go Conquest HD 8x32 because I think the optics are way better and the close focus is far more useful to me at 1.5 metres rather than 3.

Lee

If I had to choose only from Swaro I'd go for the 8x30 for its easier view and it does feel so nice in the hand.

Given an open choice I'd go Conquest HD 8x32 because I think the optics are way better and the close focus is far more useful to me at 1.5 metres rather than 3.

Lee
I think the Conquest 8x32 HD's optics are slightly better than the Swaro 8x30 CL on axis but the Swaro has better edges and it is brighter. Since I already have the ultimate optics in my Swarovision 8x32 which beats the Conquest in optics and absolutely kills it in ergonomics. I prefer the Swaro 8x30 CL over the Conquest because it has way better ergonomics. The Conquest has great optics but it feels like a fat little chunky pig in my hands compared to the slender much better designed Swaro. After using the Swaro 8x30 CL and the 8x25 CL-P for awhile now I have to admit the CL 8x30 is more comfortable in the hand and brighter especially in low light conditions. The CL 8x30 is not quite as finicky as the CL-P although the CL-P is still the best compact available. One thing I do notice about the 8x30 CL is the ER is a little bit long for the eye cups. One way to help this is to not twist the eyecups when you pull them out at the end of their travel because it actually shortens the eye relief about a 1mm. So just pull them out and leave them there. The ER on the CL-P's are a little long also for the eyecups for me and more finicky with eye placement with the smaller exit pupil then the CL's. The CL 8x30 has a noticeably larger FOV than the 8x25 CL-P also but both have excellent edges.

The Conquest has great optics but it feels like a fat little chunky pig in my hands compared to the slender much better designed Swaro.

HaHaHa!

Don't forget that the slender Swaros might suit you better, but lots of folks have got 'chunky pig' hands who like something 'to get hold of' in order to hold the bins steady.

Your comments about ER are good because they illustrate that generous ERs do not guarantee perfect viewing comfort: the eyecup has to be designed just right too.

Lee

HaHaHa!

Don't forget that the slender Swaros might suit you better, but lots of folks have got 'chunky pig' hands who like something 'to get hold of' in order to hold the bins steady.

Your comments about ER are good because they illustrate that generous ERs do not guarantee perfect viewing comfort: the eyecup has to be designed just right too.

Lee
Exactly. I have had many binoculars where the eye relief was too long for the length of the eyecups for my eye sockets. They have to work with YOUR eye sockets and it depends on how deep or shallow your eye sockets are. The Zeiss Conquest 8x32 HD for me had a little too much eye relief for the length of the eye cups also. Some binoculars are unusable in that respect. For me the Swarovision 8x32's fit my eye sockets perfectly. I put my eyes up tightly to the eyecups and I get a full FOV with no blackouts. PERFECT! Not a lot of binoculars work that perfect. You can use the eyebrow technique where you put the top edge of the binocular on your eyebrow or you can cup your hands around the eye cups to compensate for the extra eye relief but that is kind of a pain. The CL 8x30's are VERY close though so for me it is just a matter of not putting the eyecups tightly into my eye sockets to avoid blackouts.

Last edited:
HaHaHa!

Lee
Your right about how the size of your hands affect what type of binocular design you like. For me the Swarovisions 8x32 and the Swaro 8x30 CL's are wonderful. These two would be great for woman also with their normally smaller hands. That is why they like them so much. As a side note I was comparing my Swaro 8x30 CL's to my Vanguard Endeavor 8x42 ED's which are great low end binoculars but it is surprising that the much smaller Swaro with only a 30mm aperture still beats the much bigger Endeavor in every optical test even brightness in most situations. I guess you get what you pay for. Did you hear that Frank? Where is that member that doesn't like that statement?

Last edited:
I have been using my Swaro 8x30 CL's exclusively for birding lately and frankly I am impressed with how good they are. They don't have the perfect edges or huge FOV of my 8x32 Swarovision but they are beautiful on-axis and once the bird is centered you forget about those things. I really prefer them overall over the Zeiss Conquest 8x32 HD. The ergo's are just so good on them and they are so light. I highly recommend them especially for a woman. The case carries very nicely on your belt also and you hardly notice the weight. It is more comfortable than a shoulder strap and not in the way as much. The view is really WOW with them! Forget the Naysayers and try them.

Last edited:
All,

I'm going to cast my vote for the 8x32 Conquest HD despite the pummeling.

I have whittled my bin collection down to 7x and one 8x and it is the 8x32 Conquest HD that I am keeping.

Despite compact size and light weight being desirable, the added weight of the 8x32 Conquest HD makes the 8x more user friendly in my hands, so I will take it over the Swaro 8x25 pocket, the Swaro 8x30 Companion, and the Swaro 8x32 EL swarovision. The Zeiss Conquest HD really is the "best" 8x32 available for someone like myself.

I've been debating the purchase of a Nikon Monarch 7 8x30 to have on hand in the car and for packing on day hikes, however, I keep thinking I'll be disappointed in the 8x lightweight package.

CG

P.S. None of the Swaros have undergone a destruction test equivalent to the Zeiss Conquest HD, my belief is that none of them could endure such a test. (Shotgun in hand and ready to prove it)!

Last edited:
All,

I have whittled my bin collection down to 7x and one 8x and it is the 8x32 Conquest HD that I am keeping.

Despite compact size and light weight being desirable, the added weight of the 8x32 Conquest HD makes the 8x more user friendly in my hands, so I will take it over the Swaro 8x25 pocket, the Swaro 8x30 Companion, and the Swaro 8x32 EL swarovision. The Zeiss Conquest HD really is the "best" 8x32 available for someone like myself.

I've been debating the purchase of a Nikon Monarch 7 8x30 to have on hand in the car and for packing on day hikes, however, I keep thinking I'll be disappointed in the 8x lightweight package.

CG

P.S. None of the Swaros have undergone a destruction test equivalent to the Zeiss Conquest HD, my belief is that none of them could endure such a test. (Shotgun in hand and ready to prove it)!

What's the point? I never levelled a shotgun blast at my Subaru either, and yet the thing gets me out of my snowbound driveway every day. Would it be better if I could blast the snow off the windshield with a shotgun every morning? And trust me, it's been every morning clearing snow 'round here. Only so many shotgun blasts anything is going to take. :smoke:

Mark

All,

CG

I didn't like the Nikon Monarch 7 8x30. The optics for me just were not in same league as the Zeiss Conquest 8x32 HD. If you have large hands the Conquest HD would probably work pretty good for you. I will agree the Conquest HD has about the best optics I have seen for the money. The Zeiss on-axis is REALLY sharp. Only my Swarovision 8x32 was a little better overall. The Swaro 8x30 CL once you use it for while is surprisingly good especially on-axis. It gives you that same beautiful view of the bird that the Swarovision does in a smaller lighter more compact package. If the ergo's work for you on the Conquest it is hard to beat. Between the Conquest HD and the Swaro 8x30 CL the ergo's play a large part in my preference for the CL. I really the CL's size and ergo's.

Last edited:
What's the point? I never levelled a shotgun blast at my Subaru either, and yet the thing gets me out of my snowbound driveway every day. Would it be better if I could blast the snow off the windshield with a shotgun every morning? And trust me, it's been every morning clearing snow 'round here. Only so many shotgun blasts anything is going to take. :smoke:

Mark
We have had our share of snow around here lately also. The Conquest is built like a tank and it probably will take a beating. The only reason I sold it is I have the Swarovision 8x32 HD and I preferred the thin open bridge design on the Swaro and because I can wrap my fingers around it and the Swaro has the flat field and sharp edges. The on-axis view of the Conquest HD is beautiful though. Zeiss seems to now how to do that. I really think the Conquest HD is better than the FL overall.

Last edited:

Mark

Kammerdiner,

Shotshells are reserved for binocular testing. RPG's are used for vehicle testing.B :)

CG

We have had our share of snow around here lately also. The Conquest is built like a tank and it probably will take a beating. The only reason I sold it is I have the Swarovision 8x32 HD and I preferred the thin open bridge design on the Swaro and because I can wrap my fingers around it and the Swaro has the flat field and sharp edges. The on-axis view of the Conquest HD is beautiful though. Zeiss seems to now how to do that. I really think the Conquest HD is better than the FL overall.

Dennis,

Ergos play a huge role in binocular selection. Your preference for the open hinge design matches my own for a closed hinge design.

Really, two excellent samples of 8x32.
CG

Dennis,

Ergos play a huge role in binocular selection. Your preference for the open hinge design matches my own for a closed hinge design.

Really, two excellent samples of 8x32.
CG
Yes, it really is close between those two. ON-axis they are a toss up. The Conquest's HD 8x32 are the best buy around for the money. No doubt.

Even though this is not about compact binoculars, so this post will be off topic ( but what the heck; the thread has been off the compact topic for a while).

I bought one of Cameraland's demo 8x32 Conquest HD's for the great price they had it and received it a 5 days ago. Not that I needed another binocular, but thought I would maybe get one for a back up.

Binocular arrived and certainly did not look like anyone had touched it for being a demo. It is well built and has a clean crisp view. But for me the eyecups are much too short and produce significant blackouts. I know I could get the new ones from Zeiss, but do not know if I want to take that chance and have those also be too short. Because these are really short for me. With eye glasses they are fine, but I use my binoculars a lot without them.

Optically the Conquests are very, very good. They did not beat my Swarovski 8x30 Habicht porros in sharpness and apparent resolution, but I did not really expect them to. I mostly ordered the Conquests to be a tough back up for what I have and one for my wife to possibly use. But she too gets blackouts with them also- so that may not work.

The thing that surprised me a bit the last few days when I have been testing them and weighing out the pros and cons for keeping them- was how they fared compared to my Leupold 8x42 Cascade Porro. I had not put them up against each other for the first couple days of having the Conquests. I thought I should check out that difference before deciding what to do with the Conquest. I fully expected the Zeiss to be better optically before comparing them- but it did not turn out that way. Except for the narrower FOV, and obviously longer near focus for the Cascade, it was better in every way for me. The ergos was way better for the Cascade; the sharpness and contrast was clearly better; and it was just a easier, much more pleasing view. I tested these two multiple times a day for 3 days and everytime for me the Cacade porro was better. I knew the Cascade I have was good, but I have to say, I was not expecting this ahead of time. Everytime I picked up the porro, it was a joy to hold and look through. Where as the Zeiss was a struggle getting the bin held right on my eye brow, and ergos was not as good, and then even the view was not as good as far as sharpness.

Well after that, my decision was easy. Why keep a bino as a back up, when it is not as good as my other backup and it does not work for me or my wife. So they will be going back.

But if they work for someone- the $675 demo price from Cameraland is a great deal. They seem to be a very good bino for the price. But they did not work for me. And my Cascades cost me significantly less than $200 to boot.

* Edit added regarding focus.- Another thing that I really liked about my Cascade vs the Conquest was the focussing. The Conquest seemed to be a little to fast for me, but did not notice that part that much, until I compared it to the Cascade Porro. The Cascade focus was smooth and precise, and allowed me to really dial in the detail. The Conquest, while not bad at all, it was just a bit to quick and had me working a little bit harder to dial in the sharpness. The sharp point of the focus ( area where focus was clear) also seemed to be a bit more narrow of an area on the focus wheel.

I found myself trying to achieve a better clear detailed focus with the Conquest after comparing to the Cascade; and then after multiple trials, I realized it was also the fact that the Cascade showed better detail, and I was trying to achieve the same with the Conquest and could not.

I have plenty of things to use to determine details- lots at varieties of greens, moss, tree bark, shadows, distance viewing etc, etc. Just a wide number of contrast mediums. We have a rook of Great Blue Herons that are around again this winter and they are roosting about 200-250 ft behind our house. They have been fun the watch ( the juveniles pecking and fighting etc) and they also provide a good test subject with their colors to test perceived resolution and contrast.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back