• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski ATC: which lightweight tripod? (2 Viewers)

gastonbe

Belgium
I am thinking about getting the new Swarovski ATC. I don't have a car so a tripod/scope were never really an option for me. I don't think I'd bring it along often. This new Swarovski could be a real game changer for me.

Any thoughts on good lightweight tripods for it? I was looking at the lightest Swarovski one (CCT carbon):

But it is still 1.5kg. Is this the lightest you can go without losing stability and user comfort?
Of course, It's pricy too at almost 1000 euros. I'd be to happy to hear any good, cheaper competitors.

I'll try to go and test both the scope as a few tripods in the coming weeks.

I am thinking about getting the new Swarovski ATC. I don't have a car so a tripod/scope were never really an option for me. I don't think I'd bring it along often. This new Swarovski could be a real game changer for me.

Any thoughts on good lightweight tripods for it? I was looking at the lightest Swarovski one (CCT carbon):

But it is still 1.5kg. Is this the lightest you can go without losing stability and user comfort?
Of course, It's pricy too at almost 1000 euros. I'd be to happy to hear any good, cheaper competitors.

Waiting for my ATC, I 've already buy the tripod : benro slim alu + S2C fluid video head. I'm think s2C video head is perfect for ATC, I used it with kowa 553 and it was great. However, I'm not so sure for the tripod height. I tested benro slim carbone too, but it was not stable enought IMO.

I’m waiting on mine too, i’ve changed over to a Gitzo GT2542 mountaineer with the birding fluid head. I have a car though so the weight isn’t an issue. If i didn’t have a car i would possibly look at the Gitzo traveller series, although stability may be an issue win windy conditions, possibly.

Those gitzo tripods look pretty great. I read the Swarovski one above is built by Gitzo.

I might check the traveler series out indeed. I could always get a heavier version for when I am catching a ride with some local birders.

@Eranou what made you go for the ATC and not, say, the ATS 65 if you have a car and weight is not an issue? Just curious.

Those gitzo tripods look pretty great. I read the Swarovski one above is built by Gitzo.

I might check the traveler series out indeed. I could always get a heavier version for when I am catching a ride with some local birders.

@Eranou what made you go for the ATC and not, say, the ATS 65 if you have a car and weight is not an issue? Just curious.
Yes, i believe the Swaro ones are made by Gitzo.

I had a Benro previously but should have bought the Gitzo in the first place to be honest.

I currently have a Kowa 883, and it’s a really fine example. But i just didn’t like the weight with the Benro when walking any distance, alrhough i have also purchased a Scopac lite recently which helps a lot.

The ATC was an impulse buy, having read a great deal about magnification etc… i figure it will serve me for possibly all of my scoping needs, including seawatching. The 56mm lens should give enough light i reckon. So i’ll keep the Kowa for a while and ultimately sell if i find the ATC performs, plus i like the idea of a lighter setup to be honest.

That’s the theory at least!!!

Sounds good 👍 I also think the 56mm lens will suffice for 99% of use cases. And more importantly, the low weight will hopefully mean I will actually bring it along.

I am very interested in the Gitzo GT1545T. It's lightweight but very sturdy from what I've read. It should mostly be enough for the ATC.
Any thoughts?
I'd just get it with the regular ball head to save weight and to get the expanding capabilities when packed. I could always get the fluid birding head later on as an extra.

However, I did read that there's no proper locking system:

That sounds scary to me. Does that mean the scope could just drop on the floor if not tightened properly? That would be insane at this price range.

Other interesting, similar tripods:
  • Manfrotto BeFree GT Carbon
  • Peak Design Travel Carbon
  • Velbon Ultra Luxi L

These are also cheaper than the Gitzo. Anyone try the Manfrotto one? It seems very similar to the Gitzo but it seems it doesn't have the locking issue.

There are some good Black Friday week deals on the Gitzo's so I'm wondering if I should just jump in!

Last edited:
Hello Gastonbe,

Of the ones you mention I can only comment on the Peak Design. It is very well made and very well trough out also. I have used it with my Leica Apo Televid 62, that weights 50% more than Swarovski ATC and it is also bigger, and it can cope with it without any problem. I use it with the included ball head, and it is clear that it is not as confortable to use as it would be with a proper fluid video head, but it works well enough. With the included head it is quite compact. The case it comes with is very good.

Regards,

Antonio.

Other interesting, similar tripods:
  • Manfrotto BeFree GT Carbon
  • Peak Design Travel Carbon
  • Velbon Ultra Luxi L
Hi, I have the Velbon tripod above. The supplied head is rubbish, but otherwise it is a decent very lightweight option. I bought it for travelling when weight is an issue, but as I haven't done a longer trip (3 weeks +) for a few years, I've been using a Benro CF tripod instead. The Velbon packs down very small and is tall enough for most uses. It has been fine on most trips, the obvious limitation is that it isn't as stable as traditional/larger/CF tripods. This can be slightly countered by hanging a rucksack off the central column, but only reduces, rather than rectifying the issue. Hope this helps!

I have a Sirui Traveler 7 VC w/ VA -5 head, carbon,very happy with it. Absolutely portable in rough terrain, at present with my MM3/60 mounted, waiting for an orange ATC😄

The Gitzo 1545 works perfect with the small video head MVH400AH by Manfrotto and the tripod can be packed just as compact as with the ball head.
The video head has a weight of 305g without handle and plate - the handle is way too big for the head and weighs 80g - that's the first thing to be dropped.
The head looks and feels cheap, and the noble tripod shakes every time I screw it on ;), but should be sufficient for the ATC.
The total weight of the combo is 1.37kg plus 80g for the 501PL video camera plate.

Overall, you have a nice compact package that fits in any backpack (see the comparison photo with the 055CXPRO3 from Manfrotto).

Toni

Attachments

• 1545 vs Manfrotto.jpg
    1545 vs Manfrotto.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 90
  • Detail 1545 w Head.jpg
    Detail 1545 w Head.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 86
The Gitzo 1545 works perfect with the small video head MVH400AH by Manfrotto and the tripod can be packed just as compact as with the ball head.
The video head has a weight of 305g without handle and plate - the handle is way too big for the head and weighs 80g - that's the first thing to be dropped.
The head looks and feels cheap, and the noble tripod shakes every time I screw it on ;), but should be sufficient for the ATC.
The total weight of the combo is 1.37kg plus 80g for the 501PL video camera plate.

Overall, you have a nice compact package that fits in any backpack (see the comparison photo with the 055CXPRO3 from Manfrotto).

Toni
Just gonna jump in here Ank and wish you a warm welcome to the forum ;)

Toni
It seems to be the perfect couple, thank you very much. Did you try to install the short column to reduce weight aigain?

Last edited:
Removing the centre column is a good idea to reduce the weight even further. But I haven't done that yet because it also has disadvantages.
I think that without the centre column you lose the flexibility of being able to increase the height without problems. Furthermore, the packing principle of the travel tripod would probably no longer work, because the video head nestles at the ends of the legs. Moreover, changing the centre column is a bit more complicated, as two grub screws have to be loosened to remove the upper disc.

Id suggest a monopod for those occasions when you'll not be in a hide to keep things mobile, for quick look i.d's they are more than adequate at the lower range of magnifications the ATC provides (maybe consider the STC?)- particularly when seated or rested against something they work very well. I use one almost exclusively with my small scope. I also have a big heavy tripod (see review of viking tripod below) for when I'm parked up camping etc but never take it when I'm out walking away from the house/tent/car.

I use a Proline carbon fiber tripod made by Dolica that I bought at Costco, and a Gitzo head. I carry it with a shoulder strap all day, hands free, and it is lightweight and very comfortable. I carry it with the legs forward so I can lengthen or shorten the legs as I walk. See attached pictures. As has been mentioned on the other thread reviewing the scope, it has only one attachment point to the quick release plate, so no anti-rotation pin or screw can be utilized. To prevent my scope from loosening or detaching from the plate while walking I have secured a cable tie around the scope and under the plate. So far it seems to be working.

Attachments

• 4D173152-350C-4A55-AC2C-044070BBDA2A.jpeg
    4D173152-350C-4A55-AC2C-044070BBDA2A.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 189
  • 09D5B6DD-4359-479E-A338-BAE9CC493979.jpeg
    09D5B6DD-4359-479E-A338-BAE9CC493979.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 188
  • FAB48443-16AB-4466-8537-8BDD92022C51.jpeg
    FAB48443-16AB-4466-8537-8BDD92022C51.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 186
For years I used a Gitzo ball head with my Opticron scope on the same tripod, but changed to the Gitzo 2 way fluid head with the ATC scope so that using the handle might minimize loosening the scope from quick release plate when panning.

There are some good Black Friday week deals on the Gitzo
It is important to be sceptical with Black Friday deals, of course. They're not always what they seem.

I recently bought a Gitzo series 1 traveller for £450 from a popular UK camera retailer. That was a few weeks ago. Now that Black Friday has come around, I noticed that they have just put the price up to £600, and "reduced" it to £550. Not much of a deal, after all!

I use a Proline carbon fiber tripod made by Dolica that I bought at Costco, and a Gitzo head. I carry it with a shoulder strap all day, hands free, and it is lightweight and very comfortable. I carry it with the legs forward so I can lengthen or shorten the legs as I walk. See attached pictures. As has been mentioned on the other thread reviewing the scope, it has only one attachment point to the quick release plate, so no anti-rotation pin or screw can be utilized. To prevent my scope from loosening or detaching from the plate while walking I have secured a cable tie around the scope and under the plate. So far it seems to be working.
Looks great! I never had a tripod before so I don't completely understand why the scope would be able to release from the tripod. What's the difference exactly with other scopes? It seems weird to me that it doesn't lock itself properly to the tripod. When I am hiking I don't want to worry about my scope falling to bits on the ground...

It is important to be sceptical with Black Friday deals, of course. They're not always what they seem.

I recently bought a Gitzo series 1 traveller for £450 from a popular UK camera retailer. That was a few weeks ago. Now that Black Friday has come around, I noticed that they have just put the price up to £600, and "reduced" it to £550. Not much of a deal, after all!
You're right so I think I'll wait a while longer :) How do you like the tripod? Worth the $$? Does the ATC securely lock onto the tripod? The whole anti rotation pin that's missing has me worried now!

How do you like the tripod? Worth the $$? Does the ATC securely lock
I have to admit: its not arrived in the post yet!

I'm planning to use it with a Vortex Razor 27-60 85mm, so I'm curious to see if it's really going to be sturdy enough for the job. I'd expect that it would work great with an ATC, however, if the locking system is indeed to be relied upon!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back