• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski ATC: which lightweight tripod? (1 Viewer)

Hi again,

For my STC I have just purchased a Sirui-AM225 with SL-100 extensible column. I also bought a quite light and small, all metal video head (https://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B0BFKY8H5L/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1).

I need the column because the STC is straight and it has to go high enough, but I have been testing it with my angled Leica Apo Televid 62, without the column, and it works fine! I'll say that for an ATC is a hard to beat option, as I guess you bought the ATC because it is small and light, so a small and light tripod accompanying it should be a must. Tripod without column weights just 730 grams. Video head is 250, or even less if you don't use the handle, that can be easily installed and detached. I'm 1,75m tall and I have to bend a little to observe.

Is it as stable as my Gitzo Mountaineer GT3542? sure it is not, but, Does a quite small and light scope need something like that? I don't think so. Sirui is not extremely sturdy, but more than enough for the scope. Same for the head. And they are quite cheap compared to the Gitzo's counterparts.
How does the STC compare to your Leica other than the difference in field of view and weight. I also have the APO 62 and am considering a lighter alternative to complement it e.g. Swaro ATC, Kowa 553 or Opticron MM4 50.

How does the STC compare to your Leica other than the difference in field of view and weight. I also have the APO 62 and am considering a lighter alternative to complement it e.g. Swaro ATC, Kowa 553 or Opticron MM4 50.
Field of view and weight aside, the only points where I think ATC/STC could get an advantage over the Leica Apo 62 are size and toughness. Leica Apo 62 is a very good scope indeed.

If you take the two features you mentioned out of the equation, I think it doesn't worth upgrading.

Attachments

• STC vs APO 62 (2).jpg
    STC vs APO 62 (2).jpg
    700.9 KB · Views: 52
Waiting for my ATC, I 've already buy the tripod : benro slim alu + S2C fluid video head. I'm think s2C video head is perfect for ATC, I used it with kowa 553 and it was great. However, I'm not so sure for the tripod height. I tested benro slim carbone too, but it was not stable enought IMO.
You gain nothing getting a branded Swarovski - they are made my Gitzo, and their fluid heads are nothing special.
start here please:

I would recommend RRS, PMG, Gitzo, Feisol, Induro... and few more, but some of those brands might be accessible in your country - FLM (closer to home) is, and they have too good tripods
Instead of a fluid head, look instead for a pano heads or Gimbals
examples:

Another option is to get a Berlebach - closer to home too :)- but a tad heavy

Last edited:
Good day,

Do you think one of the Outdoorsmans pan heads would be a good choice for the STC 56?

I really would like to have a lightweight tripod and pan head for the STC 56 I just purchased. The lighter the better, but good quality is important for me as well. I am not sure they sell them in Europe either.

Good day,

Do you think one of the Outdoorsmans pan heads would be a good choice for the STC 56?

I really would like to have a lightweight tripod and pan head for the STC 56 I just purchased. The lighter the better, but good quality is important for me as well. I am not sure they sell them in Europe either.
I heard about that brand, but they seem cater more to hunters/shooters - not to say their gear is bad; quite the opposite as either has to rely heavily in their gear, so it won't be a preferred brand if known to fail.

I would stick with photographic gear companies, well reputed brands that will have similar or higher prices of items you are looking at, and likewise functionality that is more friendly to photographers.

if you are in a tighter budget, and willing to compromise a bit, Leofoto seems that been receiving good reviews from users. Note that they use the nasty sticky-thick grease instead of bearings when applicable - hence the cost difference from gear they copycat

Buy once and cry once - stick to quality gear :)

The kit was for sale on a good deal, basically! Ball heads are generally smaller, too, which is also what I need for traveling on planes, etc. So, I'm happy to give it a go. If the kit came with the fluid head, however, I would have preferred that.

As noted, I'll give it a chance before spending any extra cash, though!
I use this setup with my Swarovski ATX 65 and it works perfectly well - I find using the pan + ball head simple to use. Obviously for travelling it is superb - highly recommended.
My only gripe with the Gitzo 1545 is the rubber feet, I'd recommend regularly checking they are screwed on, I lost one early on, and tighten them quite frequently.

James

While the weight of the handle on the Gitzo head is feather light, it does take up space when packing for travel, so for years I used no handle with my 60 mm Opticron and it was okay. But because the Opticron uses two screws to attach the quick release plate to its foot, while my new ATC uses only one screw and has a small surface area for attachment I thought using a handle might reduce the torque while panning. As it has turned out, I am enjoying the addition of a handle now that I shortened it.

But because the Opticron uses two screws to attach the quick release plate to its foot, while my new ATC uses only one screw and has a small surface area for attachment I thought using a handle might reduce the torque while panning.
I don't put my hand on the scope. I put it on the video head. Works just fine for me.

Hermann

Good day,

I have played with the Pan Head and my ATS 65, but ultimately decided to stick with the GHF2W Gitzo. If the STC is balanced it could work on the Pan Head. If the scope is not balanced, the Pan Head is hard to work with. The adjustments on the Pan Head can be a bit finicky, and it is hard to find that friction sweet spot, but again, it might be better with a lighter weight scope like the STC.

Hello, new owner of the ATC, I searched for a compact, lightweight, stiff, easy to carry on my backpack tripod+head. I went to different photo stores to try some models. Not really convinced by ultra compact ones due to lack of stability IMO (peak design carbon tripod and another brand I forgot) and bigger ones were really stiffer but really heavier of course....

As mentionned before on this post, gitzo 1545T seems to be perfect but no shop near of my home own it. Futhermore, the small gitzo is to expensive for me. So, I decided to search for something approches gitzo performances for cheaper.

I found LEOFOTO LX-254CT for €314 (with ball head). I found a very small fluid video head on amazon, SMALLRIG 3259.

LEOFOTO LX-254CT Tripod has a really great build quality, with good finitions and some interesting features : rubber handle, center colum hook, flipping legs, tall enough for a 1.80m tall guy, metal feet included, short colum included, 10 years warrantly. Stiffness and stablility is really good IMO. It weights 1065g .

Smallrig 3259 video head is really cheap (€50) and featherweight (244 g), it's correctly fluid but a little bit hard for panning (but smooth), IMO it's perfect for slow movements. However, counter balance power is really poor... So I need to adjust cursors very precisely to hold ATC on horizontal position.

So it's a 1300g kit, wich is very versatile, strong enough, easy to carry and mid price range.

Now I have to test it for months on the field to confirm my first feelings.

Some photos for you :)

(sorry for englisk mistakes)

Attachments

• tripod  12.jpg
    tripod 12.jpg
    758.3 KB · Views: 76
  • tripod  11.jpg
    tripod 11.jpg
    741.3 KB · Views: 72
  • tripod  10.jpg
    tripod 10.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 75
  • tripod  9.jpg
    tripod 9.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 68
  • tripod  8.jpg
    tripod 8.jpg
    810 KB · Views: 66
  • tripod  7.jpg
    tripod 7.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 61
  • tripod  6.jpg
    tripod 6.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 65
  • tripod  5.jpg
    tripod 5.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 81
  • tripod  4.jpg
    tripod 4.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 86
  • tripod  3.jpg
    tripod 3.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 89
  • tripod  2.jpg
    tripod 2.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 80
  • tripod  1.jpg
    tripod 1.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 88
[...]
Smallrig 3259 video head is really cheap (€50) and featherweight (244 g), it's correctly fluid but a little bit hard for panning (but smooth), IMO it's perfect for slow movements. However, counter balance power is really poor... So I need to adjust cursors very precisely to hold ATC on horizontal position. [...]
I am using the same Smallrig head on my PeakDesin Travel tripod (Aluminium, bit heavier than the Leofoto though). Works ok (bit of moving resistance, as you said).
Just a question out of curiosity: Why did you mount the lever vertically reversed, i.e. angle up? Is there any specific reason? I would have assumed the handle is now too near to the eyepiece. It may might interfere with your head.

I am using the same Smallrig head on my PeakDesin Travel tripod (Aluminium, bit heavier than the Leofoto though). Works ok (bit of moving resistance, as you said).
Just a question out of curiosity: Why did you mount the lever vertically reversed, i.e. angle up? Is there any specific reason? I would have assumed the handle is now too near to the eyepiece. It may might interfere with your head.
I mount the lever like this because it falls better to my hand. When I look through the ocular, my hand is putted on the lever, my arm and my elbow are supported by my body, and my hand touches my cheek... I'm like a block without bent wrist :) I feel more stable.

Hello, new owner of the ATC, I searched for a compact, lightweight, stiff, easy to carry on my backpack tripod+head. I went to different photo stores to try some models. Not really convinced by ultra compact ones due to lack of stability IMO (peak design carbon tripod and another brand I forgot) and bigger ones were really stiffer but really heavier of course....

As mentionned before on this post, gitzo 1545T seems to be perfect but no shop near of my home own it. Futhermore, the small gitzo is to expensive for me. So, I decided to search for something approches gitzo performances for cheaper.

I found LEOFOTO LX-254CT for €314 (with ball head). I found a very small fluid video head on amazon, SMALLRIG 3259.

LEOFOTO LX-254CT Tripod has a really great build quality, with good finitions and some interesting features : rubber handle, center colum hook, flipping legs, tall enough for a 1.80m tall guy, metal feet included, short colum included, 10 years warrantly. Stiffness and stablility is really good IMO. It weights 1065g .

Smallrig 3259 video head is really cheap (€50) and featherweight (244 g), it's correctly fluid but a little bit hard for panning (but smooth), IMO it's perfect for slow movements. However, counter balance power is really poor... So I need to adjust cursors very precisely to hold ATC on horizontal position.

So it's a 1300g kit, wich is very versatile, strong enough, easy to carry and mid price range.

Now I have to test it for months on the field to confirm my first feelings.

Some photos for you :)

(sorry for englisk mistakes)

Leofoto is getting popular in my place and some of my friends sold their heavy 5 series Gitzo tripod and used their 500mm and 600mm with the lighter Leofoto tripods.

They have the new geared head GW-01 - Leofoto (GW-01) (I tested the old model G4 in Oct) and it has a precise knob controls for panning etc and I put on the STX95mm was surprisingly balance well. So the ATC/STC would work fine too!

Last edited:
I've now had an opportunity to use my new Gitzo 1545T in the field a little, and I'm very impressed with the stability it provides, even when supporting a full size scope.

Here's a little video of a view taken through a Vortex Razor at 60x, over a distance of approx 13km, between Devil's Dyke and Chanctonbury Ring, Sussex. There was a little bit of moisture in the air that day, but the view is pretty clear even at such a long range.

The video is very short, to allow for full distance context within the file upload limit. The first few seconds show the view, and the wobble is mostly attributable to my hands holding the phone against the scope. There was very little wind. When seen with the eye alone, the view is very stable indeed.

I'll have to take it out on a windier day and see how it does!

The tripod is a light as a feather, and packs down very small, too, so it makes carrying a full size scope around in a backpack a feasible option for everyday use.

View attachment IMG-9716.mov

Users who are viewing this thread

Back