• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swiss Flowers and Fungi identification (1 Viewer)

lazza

I was travelling in Switzerland last week with work, and stopped off to eat my sandwich in Morgins, in the Valais region, near the border with France. I had a short wander around down into the surrounding forests hoping to see some nice Swiss forest birds, but I only managed a few tits and finches.

But I did find a few wild flowers still in bloom, and a few picked over patches of fungi, which I'd be grateful for help in identifying.

Flowers:
- I think the first is Devil's-bit Scabious, but as there are several similar species, and I'm not at all familiar with Swiss flora, I'd appreciate confirmation or correction!
- Next, a species of Lamiacea, which looks rather like one of the dead-nettle species, but I'm not sure.
- And third, I think this is possibly lesser burdock, but I am not sure.

Attachments

• unknown_dipsacacea_VS.jpg
    unknown_dipsacacea_VS.jpg
    339 KB · Views: 39
  • unknown_lamiacea_VS.jpg
    unknown_lamiacea_VS.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 48
  • unknown_asteracea_VS.jpg
    unknown_asteracea_VS.jpg
    837.8 KB · Views: 44
And the fungi....two photos of each

Attachments

• unknown_fungi_VS_1.jpg
    unknown_fungi_VS_1.jpg
    407.1 KB · Views: 29
  • unknown_fungi_VS_2.jpg
    unknown_fungi_VS_2.jpg
    449.7 KB · Views: 29
  • unknown_fungi_VS_3.jpg
    unknown_fungi_VS_3.jpg
    503.1 KB · Views: 29
  • unknown_fungi_VS_4.jpg
    unknown_fungi_VS_4.jpg
    464.5 KB · Views: 26
Hi Lazza,

Ooohh those fungi are tough. All I can offer are the most tentative of suggestions:

1 - Looks just a bit like Pholiota highlandensis but this only grows (if I remember rightly) on fire sites.....

2 - Cortinarius sp. Sorry, can't narrow it down further :(

Cheers,
Nick

I'd id the plants as follows:
(1) Wood Scabious
(2) a Galeopsis, possibly pubescens but I find these horrendous...
(3) Great Marsh Thistle (Carduus personata)

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back