• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Switching from 8x42 HTs to 10x42, suggestions? (1 Viewer)

rdfish1

I have an immaculate pair of zeiss 8/42 HT that I have loved but I have a need for more power for longer distance viewing. Im Happy with these Zeiss but since I need to make a switch, I might as well consider other models and brands. Can you recommend the best set of 10/42 binoculars? I don’t want to spend more than necessary but want high quality. Giving some thought of Swarovski but not sure which model. Prefer something used...

also, any idea what mine might be worth? I will be listing for sale or trade at s9me popint.

Last edited:
Hello rdfish1,

you could still look for a Swarovski SLC 10x42, very good quality and not quite as expensive.
Otherwise, the selection of good 10x42 is quite large!
If you were satisfied with the HT 8x42 why not the HT 10x42?

Here in Europe, used 8x42 HT are offered for around 1200,- Euro, it depends of course on the conservation status, as it looks in the USA with used HT, the colleagues from the USA can certainly better assess.
You could also keep the 8x42, sometimes you miss binoculars when you sell them.;)

Andreas

Rdfish, instead of simply switching from 8 to 10x, which is not that huge a difference, you could keep your HT (as Andreas suggests) and get a 12 or 15x to complement it. NL 12x42(!), MeoStar 12x50 or 15x56, UV 12x50, EL 12x50, SLC 15x56 are all highly regarded. (A 15x56 has just come up for sale in the classifieds here.)

I use 10 and 15x myself and am very happy to have the choice.

Rdfish, instead of simply switching from 8 to 10x, which is not that huge a difference, you could keep your HT (as Andreas suggests) and get a 12 or 15x to complement it. NL 12x42(!), MeoStar 12x50 or 15x56, UV 12x50, EL 12x50, SLC 15x56 are all highly regarded. (A 15x56 has just come up for sale in the classifieds here.)

I use 10 and 15x myself and am very happy to have the choice.
Thanks. Yes, I’ve been reading since offering this post and the slc seems to be a good choice. Agree, 10/42 ht would be fine, they are great just expanding my consideration since making a change.

regarding 12-15, the reason I bought the 8s was to minimize shake. Unless using a tripod, I wont be able to hold the stronger ones steady

Last edited:
regarding 12-15, the reason I bought the 8s was to minimize shake. Unless using a tripod, I wont be able to hold the stronger ones steady
Hi,

Changing from 8x to 12/15x is of course more effective but I'm running out it is similar a 12/15x I can no longer use freely, I always need a support otherwise the magnification advantage no longer makes sense.
Perhaps image-stabilizing binoculars would still be a way for you?
The Canon 12x36 should be very neat.

Andreas

It does appear I would be trading down slightly to go with the slc vs my Ht but not sure that would be that detectable by me.

I realize you are posting this in the Zeiss forum but do consider excellent Leica alternatives. These Ultravids are magnificent and compact. They are as sharp as it gets.
They have a 10x42 and also a 10x50 which would be my first choice.

Ive wondered about these Leica though allbino reviews just seem “ok” in terms of how they rank vs others. I guess that depends on what you prioritize too.

The gain from the higher power is muted by the increased jitter inevitable in a hand held glass.
Try a Canon 10x42ISL, it makes using a 10x a joy visually, because the image stabilization cancels the jitter very effectively.
Imho it obsoletes all the non stabilized glasses offered, even those from the various alphas.

The gain from the higher power is muted by the increased jitter inevitable in a hand held glass.
Try a Canon 10x42ISL, it makes using a 10x a joy visually, because the image stabilization cancels the jitter very effectively.
Imho it obsoletes all the non stabilized glasses offered, even those from the various alphas.
Agree 100%

ВСЯКАКВА от основните марки 10X42 ще бъде добре. Разликите ще бъдат предимно в предпочитанията на потребителите. Никой не е „стъпка надолу“, а по-скоро преместване встрани. Можете да разгледате Swarovski SLC / EL / NL, Leica UVHD + / Noctivid и Zeiss SF.
Ако взема бинокъл с 12х 42 .... Трябва да има техника, която да ги държи здраво на ръка. Техника на задържане. Благодаря за всеки съвет. Извинете за превода на български и английски ..

Are you talking about the binocular below? I tried it for the better part of a year. 2016-2017 I believe. GREAT image....but for me every other aspect of what I use binoculars for...it failed. Heavy, cumbersome, not user friendly, not enough ER for me....I didn't like it at all. But I sure gave it the college try! LOL! Maybe I'm just too old-fashioned and stuck in my ways...
fullsizeoutput_184d.jpeg

I have an immaculate pair of zeiss 8/42 HT that I have loved but I have a need for more power for longer distance viewing. Im Happy with these Zeiss but since I need to make a switch, I might as well consider other models and brands. Can you recommend the best set of 10/42 binoculars? I don’t want to spend more than necessary but want high quality. Giving some thought of Swarovski but not sure which model. Prefer something used...
nig
also, any idea what mine might be worth? I will be listing for sale or trade at s9me popint.
Before you part with the 8x42 HT pause for a moment because you must have about the most modern of the 42 size ever made with Abbé König prisms and while I may be deluding myself I still think that counts for some extra brightness and resolution or contrast too - whatever it is I notice a difference. You would get the same 'philosophy' in the 10x42 HT but otherwise unless you go further back in time you'll have to go to 56s, I believe, in order to get the AK construction. (If going for x54 HTs which are in fact also AK then study and try out carefully in view of some forum members' disappointment a few years ago - it may be that things have since come right though.)

Someone else can enlarge or correct on what I've hinted at here; all I'll say is you have something not easy to find any more and bearing in mind the relative freedom from shake of an 8x I can't help worrying you would regret parting with them (unless you really just don't like them anyway). Many would envy you having an HT. About 12s and 15s I have no idea though! Tom

Last edited:
Are you talking about the binocular below? I tried it for the better part of a year. 2016-2017 I believe. GREAT image....but for me every other aspect of what I use binoculars for...it failed. Heavy, cumbersome, not user friendly, not enough ER for me....I didn't like it at all. But I sure gave it the college try! LOL! Maybe I'm just too old-fashioned and stuck in my ways...
fullsizeoutput_184d.jpeg

Sorry to hear that for you, the Canons excellent optics and the massive improvement in viewing provided by the stabilization were not enough to outweigh the designs weight, bulk and iffy ergonomics.
I carry mine bandoleer style, on a somewhat elastic BOOMR strap (https://www.amazon.com/StatGear-BOO...boomer+binocular+strap&qid=1617838338&sr=8-10). That eases the weight somewhat.
Of course, needing more than the 16mm eye relief offered is also a deal killer. Happily they work for me, just resting on my glasses.

I have been coming around with this kind of thinking. Wish I would have bought 10s in the first place but I’m not really picking up a lot by going to them over the 8s so I’ve just about settled in on keeping them. I certainly like them a lot but wanted to explore 10s. On paper I like the slc but have had no opportunity to hold them or better, test them vs my hts and realize they are discontinued now.
Before you part with the 8x42 HT pause for a moment because you must have about the most modern of the 42 size ever made with Abbé König prisms and while I may be deluding myself I still think that counts for some extra brightness and resolution or contrast too - whatever it is I notice a difference. You would get the same 'philosophy' in the 10x42 HT but otherwise unless you go further back in time you'll have to go to 56s, I believe, in order to get the AK construction. (If going for x54 HTs which are in fact also AK then study and try out carefully in view of some forum members' disappointment a few years ago - it may be that things have since come right though.)

Someone else can enlarge or correct on what I've hinted at here; all I'll say is you have something not easy to find any more and bearing in mind the relative freedom from shake of an 8x I can't help worrying you would regret parting with them (unless you really just don't like them anyway). Many would envy you having an HT. About 12s and 15s I have no idea though! Tom

I have been coming around with this kind of thinking. Wish I would have bought 10s in the first place but I’m not really picking up a lot by going to them over the 8s so I’ve just about settled in on keeping them. I certainly like them a lot but wanted to explore 10s. On paper I like the slc but have had no opportunity to hold them or better, test them vs my hts and realize they are discontinued now.
I know everyone's needs and likes can be different but if it helps you feel better my own situation was first getting the 10 SLC for more magnification, then getting the 8 SLC as well after hearing it was a special glass in this time of flat field production; since then I've mostly used the 8 anyway! But I don't do much longer distance viewing; at least not enough for a 10 to be vitally important.

I think the 10x power goes really with the a bigger 50mm objective, it somewhat negates the negative effects of a 10x power, IMO. Heavier, possibly less shake than a 10x42. Bigger exit pupil size. Brighter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back