• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Highlands and Islands Thread (11 Viewers)

Black grouse lek on Tulloch Moor (this has been published in a site guide, before you all yell at me), but the road to the viewing screen has deteriorated. Even stranger, a notice has appeared on the road claiming that it is a private road, no unauthorised vehicles. That isn't what my Ordinance Survey map shows, so I have no idea what is going on. By the way, Black Grouse are much easier to see in upper Teesdale in County Durham.

The road has always been private from just past the school house, though access was generally accepted for vehicles as it was originally surfaced by Highland Council out of goodwill and a good short cut. The reason for the new sign is the huge hole at the western end of the road and the debate over who is responsible for fixing it and liability for it damaging vehicles etc. With 100+ Black Grouse lek sites recorded in Strathspey shouldn't be too much of a problem to view them elsewhere :)

Last edited:
Was guiding a wildlife Photographer up Cairngorm today, stunning in the sunshine with lots of Mountain Hares and even more Ptarmigan, a few Black Grouse in the distance from the Ciste car park.
Gordon.

Diary date

If you are anywhere near Grantown-on-Spey on Tuesday April 8th, I will be giving a light-hearted talk entitled 'Molotovs and Merlins' about the perils and pitfalls of writing a 'where-to watch' guide.

The venue is the Grant Arms Hotel, starting at 8.30 pm, Admission is free and everyone is welcome.

Whether you want to offer much needed moral support, or heckle and throw things (only money and food accepted;)), I would be delighted to meet any BF members who are in the area.

I will be signing copies of the new edition of my book Best Birdwatching Sites: Scottish Highlands afterwards.

If you would like a copy of the book but can't make the talk, or would like further details about the book, then please send me a pm and I'll be happy to help.

Gordon Hamlett

Diary date

If you are anywhere near Grantown-on-Spey on Tuesday April 8th, I will be giving a light-hearted talk entitled 'Molotovs and Merlins' about the perils and pitfalls of writing a 'where-to watch' guide.

The venue is the Grant Arms Hotel, starting at 8.30 pm, Admission is free and everyone is welcome.

Whether you want to offer much needed moral support, or heckle and throw things (only money and food accepted;)), I would be delighted to meet any BF members who are in the area.

I will be signing copies of the new edition of my book Best Birdwatching Sites: Scottish Highlands afterwards.

If you would like a copy of the book but can't make the talk, or would like further details about the book, then please send me a pm and I'll be happy to help.

Gordon Hamlett

Watch out Gordon, they'll be chucking haggis at you!;)

Watch out Gordon, they'll be chucking haggis at you!;)

Haggis is fine - I'll eat anything. The problem comes if they start throwing one of BF members on this group up on stage who goes under the name of 'Hungry Haggis'. Even I might struggle to eat a whole one of those;););)

I've stayed at the Grant when they've piped the haggis in. Unfortunately, my wife is on a gluten free diet and couldn't partake, so they served her melon instead.

This prompted me to pen the following gluten free response to Robbie Burns' effort...

Ode to a Melon

Sir,

Your puddin’ chieftains’s high-falutin
But all you haggis’s full o’ gluten
Alternatives offered – inter alia
Include a melon – could be Galia
A plate of orange-coloured slices
Help prevent digestive crisis
At least it wasn’t melon patties
All piled high with neeps and tatties
So parade this fruit through marble halls
And celebrate with melon.... Balls

Gordon

Haggis is fine - I'll eat anything. The problem comes if they start throwing one of BF members on this group up on stage who goes under the name of 'Hungry Haggis'. Even I might struggle to eat a whole one of those;););)

I've stayed at the Grant when they've piped the haggis in. Unfortunately, my wife is on a gluten free diet and couldn't partake, so they served her melon instead.

This prompted me to pen the following gluten free response to Robbie Burns' effort...

Ode to a Melon

Sir,

Your puddin’ chieftains’s high-falutin
But all you haggis’s full o’ gluten
Alternatives offered – inter alia
Include a melon – could be Galia
A plate of orange-coloured slices
Help prevent digestive crisis
At least it wasn’t melon patties
All piled high with neeps and tatties
So parade this fruit through marble halls
And celebrate with melon.... Balls

Gordon

Sir, you stole those marble halls (and the rhyme!) from Christmas Day in the harem, where the eunuchs were sitting around. I had no idea you had served on the Western Front!

John

Hello,

I am staying with a friend in Inverness from 10th to 14th of April. I'm keen to catch up with the Scottish specialities, in particular Scottish Crossbill, Golden Eagle, Caper, Crestie. I appreciate these are sensitive species so would not expect any exact locations on a public forum, but if anyone can recommend any sites worth checking out I would be grateful. We aim to do a bit of camping and just get out into the wilderness for a few days. We have a car and will travel. Perhaps the American Coot will still be on holiday!
Any chance of Pine Marten?

Cheers,
Jim.

Hello,

I am staying with a friend in Inverness from 10th to 14th of April. I'm keen to catch up with the Scottish specialities, in particular Scottish Crossbill, Golden Eagle, Caper, Crestie. I appreciate these are sensitive species so would not expect any exact locations on a public forum, but if anyone can recommend any sites worth checking out I would be grateful. We aim to do a bit of camping and just get out into the wilderness for a few days. We have a car and will travel. Perhaps the American Coot will still be on holiday!

Cheers,
Jim.

Hi Jim,

For Capers, go to the Loch Garten Caper Watch, starting at 5.30 am. Also cresties there or walk to Loch Mallachie (turn right out of main RSPB car park and look for next rspb car park on left after 0.5 miles). Crossbills can turn up in any of the local woods.

For Goldies, go to the Findhorn Valley (leave A9 at Tomatin) head west along strathdearn and park at end of road.

Full details in my book Best Birdwatching Sites in the Scottish Highlands - pm me if you want more info or a signed copy.

HTH

Gordon Hamlett

Hi Jim,

For Capers, go to the Loch Garten Caper Watch, starting at 5.30 am. Also cresties there or walk to Loch Mallachie (turn right out of main RSPB car park and look for next rspb car park on left after 0.5 miles). Crossbills can turn up in any of the local woods.

For Goldies, go to the Findhorn Valley (leave A9 at Tomatin) head west along strathdearn and park at end of road.

Full details in my book Best Birdwatching Sites in the Scottish Highlands - pm me if you want more info or a signed copy.

HTH

Gordon Hamlett

Hi Gordon,

Thanks for your reply. I had these places in mind so good to have them confirmed by someone who knows the area. There is a copy of your book (albeit not the most recent version) in the family so I am expecting that to be delivered this weekend.

Cheers,
Jim.

Hi Gordon,

Thanks for your reply. I had these places in mind so good to have them confirmed by someone who knows the area. There is a copy of your book (albeit not the most recent version) in the family so I am expecting that to be delivered this weekend.

Cheers,
Jim.

I'd make room on your shelves for both books, Jim. The second version is much more than an update - there are whole new chapters.

Happy birding in Scotland.

Sandra

Hello,

Cheers,
Jim.

If you have evenings free you might try to book the Speyside Wildlife hide for Pine Marten. Last time I was there it was £20 a night. I dipped (it was mid-summer and plenty of wild food available) but they do bait them and I guess at end of winter the chances should be good. If not there will still be Badgers, Bank Voles and Wood Mice.

Otherwise I have heard night driving in the wooded areas of the Black Isle can be productive.

Good luck

John

Thanks guys, food for thought. I'll probably post again before I go, and will certainly pop any sightings of note right here.
Cheers,
Jim.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back