• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Highlands and Islands Thread (5 Viewers)

Ah! We had a break from it for a couple of hours over lunch time.

Not been hit too badly by the weather where I am, but roundabout is suffering rather with flooding from the Isla and Tay rivers.

Morning all, just had a quiet but blustery walk along the Fort George shore, LOTS of Cormorant, Guillemot and several Gannets, my first highlight was identifying Long tailed ducks, quite a few birds, solos and flocks then photographing two birds I thought might be young Divers but turned out to be Black Guillemot, ID help from Paul and as we chatted and I said, "I always hope to see something special" a bird passed behind then over us both .... a Short-eared owl 👍🥳👍three lifers!
PS Photos edited on my phone, no glasses on 😳🤣

BAZ_1273.jpgBAZ_1272.jpg

BAS_3714.jpg

Last edited:
You're right, they don't usually come too close, perhaps they don't like the breaking waves?

Bit rough here still Scoz.

Afternoon all, spent ab hour or two out in the pishin doon near Fort George again this morning got 17 ish Long tailed ducks, 2 Black Guillemot (same birds?), a diver, photos awaiting ID and all the usual suspects, Turnstone, Redshank, Cormorant, various gulls, Sandpiper, Guillemot, Razorbill, possible Little Auk and a couple of seals, not bad in miserable conditions. Had a chat about our Short eared owl sighting the other day with Paul again then headed back to the car. I forgot how sheltered it was by the Fort but was quickly reminded when my pants got a hood soaking! Upside? There was the owl again, hunting along the front of the Fort before heading into the ranges👍🌧👍

The flock of several hundred waxwings seen in Avoch, Black Isle seem to have gone now. They'll have moved down to you southerners in Aviemore. :) Yesterday I had hundreds of fieldfares and redwings feeding in local fields, plus a flock of 30 skylarks. There were also dozens of finches and sparrows (mainly tree sparrows) too. I think the weather system on Wednesday plopped them here and yesterdays sun gave them a chance to feed. Todays rain might push them on again. It's all go!

November 18th & 19th
Good morning all, I'll not repost everything from the first evening here but link to the Slavonian Grebe and Long-tailed ducks who were feeding just offshore from Ardersier shore path on Saturday.
Yesterday morning, 19th, I was up and out a bit late, these dark mornings 😴 and off to the Fort. The red flags were flying , sadly so the ranges were out as was a full loop around the Fort shore. Never mind, the tides was out-ish and it was a decent morning. I always hope for a repeat sight of an Otter, not today though 😳
Actually it was pretty quiet, plenty Cormorant/Shag around but not the numbers seen before. Oyster catchers were plentiful with the odd  Curlew among them but that's about it for waders and I started seeing Guillemot & Razorbills once out on the point, a few Black Guillemot showed just offshore towards the open sea side. I started seeing Long-tailed ducks flying by then a few Eider got some nice shots of the Eider, ducks too far out but I'll add shots later, wifi not great up here.
Walking back from the back shore, I spotted a pair? of Hooded x Carrion crows on a couple of the old post and another couple exploring the sand, made me wonder about the pair I've seen often, was this a family?
So I headed back eventually, spotting a few Black headed and Herring gulls before noticing a bird feeding very close to shore, Slav? Nope, Long-tailed female maybe 6 feet offshore and she allowed me really close gorgeous some closeup shots. As I finally turned away to head for the car a large bird flew right over me so I tried a few shots, turned out to be a Rook, I'd originally hoped it was a Skua the way the sun lit it as it flew over.
Back at the car I spotted 3 Greenfinch on the brambles and that ended my morning.
We drove over to Findhorn beach in the afternoon but it was really busy and only a fine Stonechat male posed for a few shots, I really must visit the reserve there next time.
So it is 07:30 and time to up, dressed and off to the Fort again, maybe the flags will be down? 🤔🤞👍
20231118 - Long-tailed duck offshore.jpg
20231118 - Meet the Hoods.jpg

Last edited:
Inverness - Smithton / Culloden. 2pm. A huge, 100+ bird flock of Waxwing were on the berry trees opposite Harry Gows as I was headed down the hill. Flew off when disturbed, but were down at head height so quite the sight!
great sight alright. i had around 20 just further up Tower Road near Culloden woods the other day. great to know they're still in the area and in growing numbers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back