• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Highlands and Islands Thread (2 Viewers)

wellcome leodhasach ,good news on those kites its only a matter of time before they are numerous in the dundee/angus area,red kite /black guillemot are my determined to see birds of 2011,i have a little more time on my hands so can now travel a bit further than im used to

First post on here, so be nice.. :)

Hello young man! Glad you've joined. Our aim on this side of the Moray Firth is to get more birds than Marcus does on the other side of the Firth <waves to Marcus> I'm going to check out my local area this week to see if the tree sparrows and bramblings are still here, I'll text you if they are.

Oh and this forum is generally a very nice place so dont worry.

First post on here, so be nice.. :)

Hello young man! Glad you've joined. Our aim on this side of the Moray Firth is to get more birds than Marcus does on the other side of the Firth <waves to Marcus> I'm going to check out my local area this week to see if the tree sparrows and bramblings are still here, I'll text you if they are.

Oh and this forum is generally a very nice place so dont worry.

Well keep an eye out - I had an odd sighting today.

Just getting some stuff out of the garden when a small gull came by. I ran inside to get my bins and scope and it was lost to view.

Very similar to this. I've seen three before and I instantly thought Ross's.

Anyway probably a dodgy black headed gull but the flight action and markings were very unusual - cod have been a kittiwake struggling in the wind I suppose?

Spotted a Brambling on our side on Sunday but at least a mile from home

Ahhh, whilst driving back from Forres to Nairn, I'm pretty sure I saw a Rough Legged Buzzard, hovering in a field next to the main road. However it could have been a pale common and I couldn't pull over to get a closer look....doh!

Must be some up here at the minute. I have checked out a few likely spots but just the plethora of common buzzards.

Severe man flu has kept me in the house for a few days. So will update the garden thread shortly.

Must be some up here at the minute. I have checked out a few likely spots but just the plethora of common buzzards.

Severe man flu has kept me in the house for a few days. So will update the garden thread shortly.

They're pretty damn good at hiding as I haven't managed to see one since the Aberdeenshire bird in the mid 90s !!!

Last week myself and two friends went to see the Bittern at Inch Marshes but we dipped. I did however catch the bug that my mate was harbouring. I've been in all week with a hacking great cough and feeling very sorry for myself. Yesterday, to stave off cabin fever, I walked, well OK shuffled would be more accurate, along the railway track at Avoch. The finch flocks are still there with 40+ yellowhammers around, a pair of reed buntings and a brambling plus the usual suspects and a fine flock of redwings to cheer me up.

If this man flu doesnt finish me off normal birding will be resumed next week.

If this man flu doesnt finish me off normal birding will be resumed next week.

Can I get your Swarovski's if you die?;)

Had a wander into Inverness town centre earlier on, there are plenty of Fieldfare about in Lochardil at the mo' and a Kestrel seemed to be getting a bit of a hard time from one of the (non-buckfast drinking) hoodies.

The River had loads of Golden Eye - according to one bloke they were Eider, I've got lurgy and was cranky so corrected him, he said otherwise so I whipped out my phone and showed him a picture of an Eider and a Golden Eye. I love 3G and I especially love Google images! :)

He was actually a nice enough bloke and we had a blether about the otter, it's been spotted again as recently as this morning so it's worth looking out for it if you're in the area.

Also spotted Goosander, the usual Herring gulls and Black headed gulls and what may have been a Red Breasted Merganser but it disappeared before I got a good look at it. I saw a Dipper too, it came up really close which delighted my daughter, cracking wee birds.

Can I get your Swarovski's if you die?;)

Had a wander into Inverness town centre earlier on, there are plenty of Fieldfare about in Lochardil at the mo' and a Kestrel seemed to be getting a bit of a hard time from one of the (non-buckfast drinking) hoodies.

The River had loads of Golden Eye - according to one bloke they were Eider, I've got lurgy and was cranky so corrected him, he said otherwise so I whipped out my phone and showed him a picture of an Eider and a Golden Eye. I love 3G and I especially love Google images! :)

He was actually a nice enough bloke and we had a blether about the otter, it's been spotted again as recently as this morning so it's worth looking out for it if you're in the area.

Also spotted Goosander, the usual Herring gulls and Black headed gulls and what may have been a Red Breasted Merganser but it disappeared before I got a good look at it. I saw a Dipper too, it came up really close which delighted my daughter, cracking wee birds.

I thought momentarily you were gonna say you him with you phone!

Dipper has been around all winter - shows best by the shakey bridge.

Must be up there with the best birding cities in the UK :t:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back