• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Highlands and Islands Thread (2 Viewers)

Hi guys going to Inverness in May for 3 days, are there any local reserves in the area I can visit, I am staying near Loch Morlich and would be looking for something nearby, would love to get Scottish Crossbills, Crested Tit, Cappercallie, Dotrell, RT Diver, however I think I need to be in the North West Highlands for 2 of those species, don't think there is none of the old Caledonian forests in the North Eastern Highlands. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Damian.

Hi Damian,
if you are staying at L;och Morlich you have a very good chance of seeing Crossbills and crested tit in the area. I also had a flyover female caper on the path to the Green Lochan from Glenmore lodge. Divers are in the area too. A visit to the information centre at Loch Morlich should give up to date info, maybe even a few cresties on the feeders there if you are lucky. As for dotterel, you'll have to go up high onto the plateau, but maybe a bit early for them.
Best regards, Mark

Hi Mark,
Thanks for that, I always thought that the SCB and CT were only found in the North West, so that's a bonus for me, I also thought May would of been around the time Dotterel were coming back from there winter break and I don't mind a good hike up on to the peaks, I feel if you DONT reach a peak whilst in Scotland, you haven't really experienced the true Scotland and the views on a clear day is always breathtaking. Love the country and this will be one of a few trips across the border this year.

Hi Mark,
Thanks for that, I always thought that the SCB and CT were only found in the North West, so that's a bonus for me, I also thought May would of been around the time Dotterel were coming back from there winter break and I don't mind a good hike up on to the peaks, I feel if you DONT reach a peak whilst in Scotland, you haven't really experienced the true Scotland and the views on a clear day is always breathtaking. Love the country and this will be one of a few trips across the border this year.

always had dotterel in late may, even when there has been a lot of snow still lying around

Hi Damian,
I just remembered that there is a Capercaillie lek watch from the Osprey hide at the RSPB reserve at Loch Garten, although I don't know if this is active in May or not. I'm sure others on the thread will have better info. That reserve also had Crested tit and crossbill, and I'm sure the wardens there should be able to give you tips.

Lochindorb has divers of several species.
Also the Rothiemurchus estate contains some beautiful pine forest and all of your target species, plus regular fishing osprey at the fish farm, and a hide for watching pine marten and badger at night. A famous and well publicised peregrine eyrie above aviemore is worth checking out as are Insh Marshes and Nethybridge.
The whole area is great. I even had a white tailed eagle fly overhead carrying a blackheaded gull when I was eating a bag of chips in Aviemore High street. I'm gonna shut up now as I now live in manic, birdless, urban Indonesia and writing this is making me incredibly homesick!
Cheers, Mark

Thanks for all the info guys, really appreciated and Loch Garten is on the to-do list, over the moon about the capper-watch and the opportunity to maybe see Pine Martin and Badger, after spending a few nights in a hide last year with no such luck.
Also Mark surely there must be some wonderful birds in Indonesia to see, even if you have to travel from your current location, however there's nothing like home and for you home is the Highlands so that must really pull on those heart strings.

Again thank you

Damian

The American Coot on Loch Fleming survived an ambush attack attempt by a female Goshawk today.

Tufted and Widgeon were not so lucky. Was a great display of early morning low level hunting.

The American Coot on Loch Fleming survived an ambush attack attempt by a female Goshawk today.

Tufted and Widgeon were not so lucky. Was a great display of early morning low level hunting.

Wow, what time was that. I was videoing it around lunchtime, pity I missed that!

Wow, what time was that. I was videoing it around lunchtime, pity I missed that!

Just after 08:15 (got there, settled in, so around half past) Sat on the opposite bank to the layby trying to get some closer views of the Whooper Swans when a low (seriously not even a foot off the water) raptor shape dipped towards and bang, duck lifted straight off the water and away. No stopping, went down towards the forest.

Not 15 minutes had gone by when she came back for another go and saw the Coot as it ventured further out than that sheltered bay its been resting in (and eating like a hungry horse!). Luckily Coot dived and all she got was a foot filled with water for the troubles.

However the sheltering duck on dry land wasn't as lucky as it had trees behind it and a Goshawk approaching.

All in all, a bloody marvellous morning. Pity about having to leave early though as I was trying to get a good set of Whooper Swan photos to try my hand at painting and with all the action they weren't playing nicely.

Last edited:
Hi

My dad and I will be staying in Aviemore on the 25/1/14 and we are hoping someone who lives locally could tell us how much snow is on the Cairngorms a few days before our trip, especially the two corries to the right of the Cairngorm Ski Centre. We are hoping to photograph white Ptarmigan here as they were already in corries in October, the last time we visited the area. If the birds have returned to the high tops we will still (weather dependent) climb higher for them.

Have any snow bunting been seen at any of the ski centres yet as they are always great birds to see in all plumages.

Of course a detour up to Loch Flemington on the way home will be an added bonus if the coot decides to stay for a few more weeks!

Cheers Andy

Last edited:
Hi

My dad and I will be staying in Aviemore on the 25/1/14 and we are hoping someone who lives locally could tell us how much snow is on the Cairngorms a few days before our trip, especially the two corries to the right of the Cairngorm Ski Centre. We are hoping to photograph white Ptarmigan here as they were already in corries in October, the last time we visited the area. If the birds have returned to the high tops we will still (weather dependent) climb higher for them.

Have any snow bunting been seen at any of the ski centres yet as they are always great birds to see in all plumages.

Of course a detour up to Loch Flemington on the way home will be an added bonus if the coot decides to stay for a few more weeks!

Cheers Andy

Hi Andy,

I think it's fairly safe to say there certainly won't be much less snow than there is at present by 25th but drop me a message to check if you want ....I'm just a few miles away. (I can look out of the window ;)) The ski area is pretty much fully covered as are all the paths and corries. Climbing higher on to the tops at this time of year is certainly only advisable if you are experienced winter hill walkers, though you shouldn't need to for Ptarmigan. Snow Bunting usually around car park area...take some bread crumbs.

My husband is a bus driver based in Aviemore, he is on the Cairngorm run a couple of times a week, sometimes more. He's seen Snow Buntings up there in the last week.

The Cairngorm ski centre website has some webcams that show what some of the snow conditions are. Ptarmigan can sometimes be seen quite near the funicular tracks as well.

Regards, Audrey.

Guys I am going to the Outer-Hebridies in May for 2wks cycling from South to North, only found out 2 days ago and very excited, any tips guys on were to go and to see the best wildlife and also the Machair.

Thanks. Damian.

It's so lovely there Damian, and you'll get wildlife just about at every turn in the road.

Some ideas in the Opus articles too.

Hi

Thanks for responding to my post Jpoyner and earthdragon64.

I wasn't sure how much snow was on the mountains so thanks for letting me know, I have climbed a few of these mountains during the milder school holidays(April, July and October) but never while there was any significant amount of snow. I presume the birds will be in and around the corries which will be fairly safe and its not worth the risk climbing to the high tops if there is lots of snow up there. I will need to remember to take seed or bread crumbs for the buntings.

Also thanks earthdragon for the webcam idea, would never have thought to look at it.

Guys I am going to the Outer-Hebridies in May for 2wks cycling from South to North, only found out 2 days ago and very excited, any tips guys on were to go and to see the best wildlife and also the Machair.

Thanks. Damian.

Lords and Ladies of Olympus that's going to be one hell of a treat for your eyes!

May? Oh goodness me, I get giddy just thinking of May on the Outer Hebs.

South Uist alone will have Hen Harrier, Red, Black, Great Northern divers, Sea and Golden Eagles along with Corn Crake booming away at dusk.

The A865 road alone is going to have you stopping every other minute. However, one place to note you HAVE to stop at is Loch Druidibeag. Set up scopes, because from the Atlantic to the Minch its a haven for absolutely every thing.

I frankly Sir doff my cap at your adventures with a tinge of jealousy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back