• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The new ZEISS SFL 30 binoculars (1 Viewer)

I used a 10x56 and even my Fujinon FMTR 7x50 while hiking, wearing them bandolier style. No problem at all since I rarely take walks that are longer than an hour or one and a half max. If I'd go for a day-long hike, it might be a different matter but even then I could take a larger bino in a backpack.
Funny enough, the most annoying bino I ever took on a hike was the small Kowa BDII 6.5x32! It was because the strap is so short that it was constantly bouncing around in front of me and the strap is too short for wearing it bandolier style. I definitely need to change that strap. It's just bad. For me even a small bino profits in wearing comfort from a longer strap.
Here is the best strap I have ever tried.

I quite like the swaro lift strap, I just wish it had another bit to keep the ends together below the lift catch - you can't even fit one as the plastic ends of the straps are too wide to slip one over them- and don't even get me started on rain guards, ok I'm going on my second rain guard rant of the week, apologies.

Individual eye piece rain guards are the work of the devil.

The ones with one piece that covers both eye lenses with one large oval, with holes for straps on either side, like the ones that ship with the habicht or e2 are perfect.

The e2's is particularly good as it's generously over sized, when you let go of the bins the cap falls down the strap and covers the eye pieces and then when you lift the bins your thumbs move the strap and cap out of the way and tuck it underneath.

Do you know I can't even get an aftermarket one of that design any more with holes for straps on both sides?! I was actually thinking of getting some made. I've got an email in to Nikon for a spare one of the e2 design to go on my slc's but I suspect given Nikon's customer (lack of) service it may never materialise.

Rant over.

For now.

Will

Last edited:
I quite like the swaro lift strap, I just wish it had another bit to keep the ends together below the lift catch - you can't even fit one as the plastic ends of the straps are too wide to slip one over them- and don't even get me started on rain guards, ok I'm going on my second rain guard rant of the week, apologies.

The ones with one piece that covers both eye lenses with one large oval, with holes for straps on either side, like the ones that ship with the habicht or e2 are perfect.

The e2's is particularly good as it's generously over sized, when you let go of the bins the cap falls down the strap and covers the eye pieces and then when you lift the bins your thumbs move the strap and cap out of the way and tuck it underneath.

Do you know I can't even get an aftermarket one of that design any more with holes for straps on both sides?! I was actually thinking of getting some made. I've got an email in to Nikon for a spare one of the e2 design to go on my slc's but I suspect given Nikon's customer (lack of) service it may never materialise.

Rant over.

For now.

Will
I like the rain guards on the NL. They fit fairly tight, but they snap on with a reassuring click, and you know they are fully on the binocular. Some of the rain guards are always uneven on one side, or you keep pushing them down, and you push your eye cups in. You're right, the E2 has a nice rain guard. A little loose, but it is quick to get off. Try that strap I linked above. It is very simple but made very well out of leather.

Rant over.

For now.

Will
I like the lift straps.

I don't mind the old style pivot rainguards the SLCs and ELs had, but only once they've loosened off a bit. The problem with the Habicht lozenge shaped one is it only works properly for me at the wrong IPD position - it's just a little too short.

I like the lift straps.

I don't mind the old style pivot rainguards the SLCs and ELs had, but only once they've loosened off a bit. The problem with the Habicht lozenge shaped one is it only works properly for me at the wrong IPD position - it's just a little too s

You could try to get a Zeiss Dialyt rainguard:

Lee
View attachment 1490042
That's the ticket, sorry to trouble you but do you know the internal diameter? Am I the only one with issues with the usual type of rain guard?

They are not cheap if they are available (Zeiss Dialyt Rain guard). I am not really fond of it personally (It sits on the 8X56 and that is it). I think the Nikon rain guard would be better, easier to obtain and lower in price, lighter in weight. The Dialyt rain guard is like a chunk of lead, almost like a weapon.

@[email protected] , @William Lewis
I'm a bit of a Niggeloh fanboy. They are on all the DDoptics binos and I put one on my Fuji FMTR and HC.
View attachment 1490011
Those are nice looking. The green one really looks good with the Fujinon. They look a lot like the Vero Vellini except prettier! This leather Vero Vellini is also nice. They are handmade in Germany and the German leather smells wonderful!

81RLbomTiwL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
They are not cheap if they are available (Zeiss Dialyt Rain guard). I am not really fond of it personally (It sits on the 8X56 and that is it). I think the Nikon rain guard would be better, easier to obtain and lower in price, lighter in weight. The Dialyt rain guard is like a chunk of lead, almost like a weapon.
They are made to last, though. The Germans build stuff to last!

You might find something here:

You might find something here:

Uk unfortunately. (Edit) Also they don't have them with a strap hole on both sides, viking and alderblick make them but again not really big enough and only with a strap hole in one side.

Last edited:
Opticron used to produce a copy of the classic Zeiss rainguard (NB. mildly hilarious that folk who think nothing of hauling x50 and x56mm binoculars around quibble about the weight of a rainguard). Not sure how available they are these days but if you like that style, they might be worth looking for.

Opticron used to produce a copy of the classic Zeiss rainguard (NB. mildly hilarious that folk who think nothing of hauling x50 and x56mm binoculars around quibble about the weight of a rainguard). Not sure how available they are these days but if you like that style, they might be worth looking for.
Sadly unavailable. Stopped making them in '21. The weight isn't the issue particularly for me it's the backward step in functionality that frustrates.

Will

Last edited:
NB. mildly hilarious that folk who think nothing of hauling x50 and x56mm binoculars around quibble about the weight of a rainguard.
Go and get some glass, please, and go use them.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back