• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Travel Insurance for 7d + lens, Africa & Asia (1 Viewer)

Hi there. I have recently gotten the opportunity to go to the Gambia for a week (work.) and am also going to Sri Lanka & Maldives on honeymoon this year. Has anyone got any advice on travel insurance for my gear? I've just bought a 7d and would cry if anything happened to it.:-C I also have a 100-400mm L for wildlife photography.

All encompassing policies all seem to have quite stingy limits on individual items of baggage, (around £300,) which is somewhat pointless.

I am currently renting so home insurance would be a bit pointless, but would it make good sense if We're planning to buy in the next year?

Cheers.
Donald

Despite renting, no contents insurance??
My 40D, 500F4, bins and scope etc are all single specified items to full value.
Russ

Donald,

I assume you have contents insurance Donald otherwise your equipment is no less at risk in the UK than on your travels abroad. I have mine covered with Hiscox but most insurers will allow you to specify items of value.

I made equiries once on specific camera & optics equipment insurance and the cost was disproportionate and not worth it in my opinion.

Donald,

I assume you have contents insurance Donald otherwise your equipment is no less at risk in the UK than on your travels abroad. I have mine covered with Hiscox but most insurers will allow you to specify items of value.

I made equiries once on specific camera & optics equipment insurance and the cost was disproportionate and not worth it in my opinion.

Couldn't agree more with what Robin says, including using Hiscox home insurance when you have expensive gear you want to travel around with.

John

I've specified my body and lens as individual items, £5,500 for the lens and £1,300 for the body, cost me less than £25 to add them. Would echo the above, don't take the risk of not having any cover, accidents WILL happen at some point

My optical gear is covered by home insurance, without specifying it. Do remember in a car it's usually only covered if it's in the boot.

As a former Financial advisor who sold thousands of household & thousands more motor policies, I'd be very surprised if ANY general insurer in the UK would pay out for a 500/4 stolen from the boot of a car, even if it was listed individually on a standard contents policy.

For equipment of that nature you really need a Personal Posessions or All Risks policy, even then most insurers will exclude items stolen from the boot of a car. Most motor insurance policies will also have a maximum limit of £500 payable for personal posessions stolen from the car.

Shop around, investigate what is and more importantly what is not insured and make sure that you list valuable items

Last edited:
It's not my motor insurance, it's the household insurance. Due to paranoia I've checked, twice.

Steve, have you read the small print ? There is usually a value limit on a non specified item with most household insurances. The other thing you are apparently often asked to provide is proof of purchase in the form of an invoice. You will probably only be recompensed for the value they put on the item not what you think it's worth too which might fall short of the cost of replacing it unless you have a new for old policy.cheers Dave

used to be with Hiscox, as they seemed to be the only company who would cover the 500 & 1d without much hassle.Totalled up my kit comes to over 10k when you include lenses flashgun, tripod/gimbal etc. Then a couple of years ago Hiscox changed some of the conditions around the cover when in the car. I now use Aaduki who cover items in the boot/ under estate cover except between 2300 & 0600. The cost of Aaduki is offset, somewhat, by being able to use cheaper contents cover for the house.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back