• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

In dilemma Noctivid 10x42 vs NL Pure 10x42 (3 Viewers)

I'm going to buy a pair of NL Pure (12x) but I am not sure its magnification. I had HGs. Now I have Ultravid and SLC. I have tried recently 10x42 NL and 10x42 Noctivid at the same time and I was absolutely astonished by the NL. It was a magic to my eyes! The best glass I’ve ever tried. My only problem is the magnification and the stability problem. I would choose one (12X) with a forehead rest but I am afraid a little a bit of the 12X. Any advice? Thank you. / Mainly I am interested in smaller birds. :)
"Mainly I am interested in smaller birds."

Important point, often not stated. Thanks, helps. Perhaps even more important, how would you describe the terrain where you bird? Back yard from home over flower gardens, bird feeders? Or, close, dense forest? Or open, large bodies of water, with little cover? Or say large expanses of terrain, occasionally scouting for larger animals?

I am afraid a little a bit of the 12X. Any advice?
If you're already comfortable with 10x, it's quite likely you will handle 12x well, as numerous people here have reported. Or you may learn to, so give yourself that chance. (I use 15x56 at times and it did take some practice.)

The OP says he has "evaluated" the various binos - I assume that means checking them out in person at a store somewhere? If that's true, then you could probably tell us which one is better. If not, I would suggest trying them in person outdoors to help decide.

For me the ergonomics, the viewing comfort, are most important in distinguishing these high-end binoculars. After pouring over specs for weeks I was suprised to find that some of the most expensive binos were a total fail for me because they were uncomfortable to hold or focus. Many of the very wide-field binos have big problems with blackouts, or the eyecups don't come to correct height for my eyes.
A lot depends on the anatomy of one's eyes. For me Nl PURE 10x42 far the best binos I have ever tried. My eyes just love it.

Last edited:
This may hopefully help:

Thanks. It was worth reading.

I have both the NL 10x32 and the EL 12x50 and love them both. I would not like having only a 12 power, so if you have a 8 or 10 power too as a a second pair I would go for the NL 12x42. When there is lots of wind or when I am walking in a forest I prefer 8 or 10 power.

I have both the NL 10x32 and the EL 12x50 and love them both. I would not like having only a 12 power, so if you have a 8 or 10 power too as a a second pair I would go for the NL 12x42. When there is lots of wind or when I am walking in a forest I prefer 8 or 10 power.

I also have an 8x and 12x as a good pairing, thinking of changing 8x to 7x for more FOV and DOF in the woods and close-by.

If I was getting a 12x I would probably get at least 50mm otherwise the exit pupil is getting small. Some very good 12x50s around and not all as expensive as the Leica and Swaro. My own Meostar is really an excellent binocular and a keeper.

I also have an 8x and 12x as a good pairing, thinking of changing 8x to 7x for more FOV and DOF in the woods and close-by.

If I was getting a 12x I would probably get at least 50mm otherwise the exit pupil is getting small. Some very good 12x50s around and not all as expensive as the Leica and Swaro. My own Meostar is really an excellent binocular and a keeper.
Thank You! I have 8x42 UV and 10x42 SLC.

I am used to the 3.2mm exit pupil of the NL 10x32, so the 3.5mm exit pupil won't be a problem I think. However, that's very subjective. I went for a 12x50 because I wanted one better for low light and with less glare. The difference in weight isn't big either.

You can swap the SLC 10x42 for a NL 10x42, but that won't be a very big gain imo. I like the SLC 42's, so if money isn't a problem for you, I would go for the NL 12x42 and keep the SLC 10x42's.
I would spent at least three weeks with new binos to make a strong and grounded decision. :-(

Last edited:
Good advice.

My personal experience is that while I like and appreciate my Zeiss and Swarovski optics very much, there's just something about the overall package of handling, materials, manufacturing quality and image characteristics that makes me love Leica — and it doesn't hurt that I find their designs to be the best-looking on the market, either.

That's not to say that the others are deficient in any way, and it's completely subjective, but for me there's just something a bit sterile about modern Swaro and Zeiss that doesn't inspire the same affection over time.

Well, that plus I'm just not that into lots of field flattening. 🤔

That's not to say that the others are deficient in any way, and it's completely subjective, but for me there's just something a bit sterile about modern Swaro and Zeiss that doesn't inspire the same affection over time.

Well, that plus I'm just not that into lots of field flattening. 🤔

Nor am I, and perhaps some of the apparent 'sterility' is that they both choose to roll off the red transmission earlier than Leica (or Meopta and Nikon) which robs the image of natural warmth to my eyes. Some appear to like the 'cool' image and it does make the glass appear brighter.

hopster, post 33,
Our measurements of do not support your statement that other producers than Leica and two others do show an earlier role off of red transmission "robbing the image of natural warmth". Your statement is not supported by our data , see the different spectra of quite a few producers we have published on the WEB-site of House of Outdoors..
Gijs van Ginkel

Manufacturers can claim what they want, but in a direct independent comparison under controlled conditions, there are visible differences in colour cast from different makes and models:

1700656781713.png

And subjectively assessed from the same source (which is excellent, by the way):

Here is my ranking "true to life" colours according to what my eyes told me:
1. Nikon EDG, Swarovski Habicht, Zeiss HT - all are reasonably natural to my eye.​
2. Slightly warmer: Leica Ultravid. This makes total sense, as images look even great in blue shadows.​
3. Even a bit warmer: Swarovski SLC.​
3. Colder: Swarovski Swarovision. A bit too cold, probably to increase brightness in colour vision, especially in low light, when a light blue becomes the brightest colour.​
4. Warmer with green cast: Zeiss SF.​
My personal favourites:
1. Swarovski Habicht, out of competition, so: Leica Ultravid.​
2. Nikon EDG - neutral with extreme colour saturation but a bit dark.​
3. Zeiss HT - neutral, but a bit undersaturated due to very high brightness. Here we have an interesting observation and the question "can a binocular ever be too bright?". I would love to compare with the previous model, the Victory Fl 8x42.​
4. Swarovski SLC - similar to Leica, but lacking the HT sparkle.​
5. Swarovski Swarovision - unnecessarily cool.​
6. Zeiss SF - warm and too green, although there is some evidence that a slight green cast is almost a Zeiss heritage​

source: greatestbinoculars: the magnificent five - 8x42 premium binoculars review Leica Ultravid Swarovski SLC and Swarovision Zeiss HT and SF

The transmission spectra we have measured are done with professional spectrometers in a university research group that has all the scientific instruments, skills and experience to measure and evaluate the measured spectra. And based on the measurements and comparing the binoculars by eye we can not see any diffence between for example the Leica Ultravid HD-plus 8x32 and the Meopta Meostar 8x32.
Gijs van Ginkel

hopster, post 33,
Our measurements of do not support your statement that other producers than Leica and two others do show an earlier role off of red transmission "robbing the image of natural warmth". Your statement is not supported by our data , see the different spectra of quite a few producers we have published on the WEB-site of House of Outdoors..
Gijs van Ginkel

Hi Gijs

I attach a plot from one of your own publications which compares top end binoculars from the most respected 3 European manufacturers, with a colour spectrum added at the bottom for reference. You'll see elsewhere that the Swaro NL has an almost identical relative response to the EL - even down to the notch at ~530nm. From many other plots at your website and at allbinos, Meopta and particularly Nikon also do not tend to roll off at 600nm.

M

Attachments

• Alpha 8x42.png
    Alpha 8x42.png
    189.3 KB · Views: 31
The transmission spectra we have measured are done with professional spectrometers in a university research group that has all the scientific instruments, skills and experience to measure and evaluate the measured spectra. And based on the measurements and comparing the binoculars by eye we can not see any diffence between for example the Leica Ultravid HD-plus 8x32 and the Meopta Meostar 8x32.
Gijs van Ginkel

I have not looked through this Meostar but knowing some of the others and the Leicas I'm sure they have a very similar colour balance.

I know this has been hashed out before but I honestly can't recall the conclusion: Yes spectral transmission curves vary (a little). But is there a direct correlation to perceived color cast? I would think 'yes' but not 100% certain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back