• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unknown bird in my backyard (1 Viewer)

These birds showed up in my backyard today (10/18/2021). Looks a family of scaly-breasted munias (they were feeding the little one on the far left) but thought munias are not seen in South Texas. Any advice is highly appreciated.

Jaap

Attachments

• foo.png
    foo.png
    7.7 MB · Views: 19
  • foo2.png
    foo2.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 19
I think your ID is correct, which means there is apparently a feral population of them in your region. As far as I know, they are also established in other areas outside of their home range, including California.

That's what it is. Here's a paragraph from Audubon:
©by Audubon:
Native to southern Asia, this small waxbill is a popular cagebird. Escapees from captivity have established wild populations in several parts of the world. The species is now widespread and common in coastal California, from San Jose to San Diego, and other local populations are established around Houston, Texas, at a few spots farther east along the Gulf Coast, and in southern Florida. Usually seen in flocks.

Yep. Scaly-breasted Munia, Nutmeg Manakin, or as they are called here in Aus, Spice Finch.

This species is an abundant exotic in my city.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back