• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unknown Worcester (2 Viewers)

Atropos

My sisters are in Worcester at the moment and have sent me these dire photos ....any suggestions please been too long since I trapped in UK so not really got much clue, I did vaguely wonder about Nutmeg but I am far from convinced. My guess is too out of focus to be certain but hopefully you will prove me wrong

Attachments

• 364128223_1008313363940322_6727348834889656801_n.jpg
    364128223_1008313363940322_6727348834889656801_n.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 23
  • 363864291_324036996631560_4445834522029379032_n.jpg
    363864291_324036996631560_4445834522029379032_n.jpg
    384.4 KB · Views: 24
Hi John. I was thinking the same thing, but couldn't be sure, had to be one of the tigers....... I thought?!! 🤔 🤔 Still unsure tho!
It seems to me that the pattern fits exactly, within the limits imposed by the very out of focus image - the camera has picked out the background instead - and obviously the moth being incorrectly lit..

John

Why not a Gypsy Moth for image 1?
Because its too pointy, hasn't got the massive antennae, hasn't got a continuous dark band mid-wing but isolated dark patches with paler borders near the leading edge, hasn't got any sort of dark band near the wingtip, has more acutely angled wingtips - and that's just the obvious non-starter differences.

John

Because its too pointy, hasn't got the massive antennae, hasn't got a continuous dark band mid-wing but isolated dark patches with paler borders near the leading edge, hasn't got any sort of dark band near the wingtip, has more acutely angled wingtips - and that's just the obvious non-starter differences.

John
I don’t know what it is….as for JerseyTiger, I can’t reconcile that at all (and I get loads, not unlike a lot of other moth-ers in the London area.)
As for the obvious, JT doesn’t have a scalloped trailing edge to the hind wing as this has?
What’s more, often Gypsy moths (I get these as well) are sometimes found on the wall with their feathered antennae tucked under wings/body, in other words not visible…..over to you.

I don’t know what it is….as for JerseyTiger, I can’t reconcile that at all (and I get loads, not unlike a lot of other moth-ers in the London area.)
As for the obvious, JT doesn’t have a scalloped trailing edge to the hind wing as this has?
What’s more, often Gypsy moths (I get these as well) are sometimes found on the wall with their feathered antennae tucked under wings/body, in other words not visible…..over to you.
You are right as far as the second pic not being a Jersey Tiger goes - I've looked at it again and it's now obvious that the two photos are of the same thing from both sides of the window!

So photo 1 is Red Underwing topside - perfectly obvious - and photo 2 is Red Underwing underside: the black bars are the dark areas of the hindwing seen from underneath. You can even see the hint of pinkness that is all of the red that shows through to the underside of the underwing.

So I owe you thanks for making me look again.

Cheers

John

You are right as far as the second pic not being a Jersey Tiger goes - I've looked at it again and it's now obvious that the two photos are of the same thing from both sides of the window!

So photo 1 is Red Underwing topside - perfectly obvious - and photo 2 is Red Underwing underside: the black bars are the dark areas of the hindwing seen from underneath. You can even see the hint of pinkness that is all of the red that shows through to the underside of the underwing.

So I owe you thanks for making me look again.

Cheers

John
Hi. Why I was a bit uncertain about it being a Jersey, was the lack of markings/band from the leading edge to trailing edge area of the forewing, in some aspects, it did look a little bit like a Jersey though!........... Got there in the end!... Good thread!

Some twisted knickers here.🤣

Image 1. A Red Underwing I presume?

Image 2. A Jersey Tiger (from underneath on the glass)…herewith one I shot on Aug.7th ?

Attachments

• IMG_7331.jpeg
    IMG_7331.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back