• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unusual bird visiting my garden - what is it??? (1 Viewer)

I'm pleased that Extrareach has replied further on this one. The trouble with being a birder is that we all have to put up with a certain amount of ridicule and we get defensive. Who of us, while looking through a scope by a busy road has not been "parped" by passing cars or otherwise jeered at? And we have all read obvious wind-ups on this forum. The fact is that many see us in the same light as the stereopytical butterfly enthusiast, chasing around with a net. Extrareach's latest reply sounds genuine to me and I am happy to give her the benefit of the doubt.

As long as they don't liken us to train spotters ;)

Last edited:
Ferro equinologists? They are equally passionate about their interest as we are so we shouldn't slag them off either.

But football fans, well........

I have watched the debate over the copyright photgraphs with interest and have to say that I am appalled, albeit not surprised, with the cavalier attitude to using someone's pictures without permission. It is one of those apparently 'acceptable', victimless crimes that people turn a blind eye to, but it is a crime nonetheless and if your livelihood is photography it is hardly without consequence. I would have thought an apology was the least that should be on offer, not a quite ludicrous attempt to justify the action first by falsehoods that it wasn't stated that there was copyright and then bya pointless analogy that I don't mind my music being used so why should anyone else? Having just spent some time getting copyright images used without permission removed from e-bay and Amazon I feel particularly raw about it at the moment and I think the birding community should support the photographers' rights.

As for the mythical bird, as it has been around for a month and clearly of interest to a lot of people it is surprising that there are no photographs, however blurred, small or badly composed, nor yet any sketches or additional descriptions. I think we should all draw whatever conclusions we want to from that and move on.

Last edited:
Personally I'd like to see how this pans out... regardless of the outcome!

And I'd really rather not have to wade through moralising debate on copyright as has been previously been requested by a number of subscribers to this thread (Suggest using the private message function)

I'm sure you would seanalfi but pound to a penny the subject of the thread is going nowhere and it is rather trite to just brush the important issue that it has raised under the proverbial carpet. Just ignore what you don't want to read and live in hope for the rest

And I should add it is not just moralising: it is a very real issue.

I'll make a humble suggestion:

Why not close this thread, and open another one if/when Extrareach gets a picture of the bird. That way we can put the hijacked thread to rest.

"At least 10 different people have seen it now so not imaginary."

If 10 people have seen it surely it is possible A) to get a reasonable description together and B) for the 10 to look at the numerous pictures available and make an informed opinion as to whether it is something interesting. Or are they all leading us up the garden path?

If 10 people have seen it surely it is possible A) to get a reasonable description together and B) for the 10 to look at the numerous pictures available and make an informed opinion as to whether it is something interesting. Or are they all leading us up the garden path?

There's a definite flavour of the Tengmalm Owl thread here.

I'm still holding out for photos of both birds by the way. Has anybody local had a look for it or are we none the wiser still to the location?

Well that's assuming of course that they are birders, or thought anything more than 'pretty/unusual/ haven't seen one of them before' or that the OP can be bothered rounding them up (why should she ?) or finding/printing out pics. For the average person it's just not that important.

I'm sure you would seanalfi but pound to a penny the subject of the thread is going nowhere and it is rather trite to just brush the important issue that it has raised under the proverbial carpet. Just ignore what you don't want to read and live in hope for the rest

And I should add it is not just moralising: it is a very real issue.

If the issue is that important to you (and as someone who has had images stolen I'm not trivialising the issue) then why not start a thread - at least more people will see it and can submit their views and possibly deter others from making the same mistake, maybe Admin will even make it a Stickie) ?
As far as this thread is concerned the issue has been well covered and an apology issued by the perpetrator, which I'm sure was seanalfi's argument.

You know the best thing about this thread happened to me earlier ... i got a 404 error when logging on to it ..unfortunatly its now still here ... the only reason its still going is because the initial hook was a decent description of an amatuer birder describing a nutcracker which keep the twitching fraternity on tenderhooks ...and the fact that the copyright infringement police have now hijacked it ..even though not a penny has changed hands ...and so except in the eyes of the copyright infringement police ..because the real ones couldnt give a jot ..there has been no crime commited..unless you mean a moral one ...poor you ..boo hoo ...you may get a few appologies ... we didnt mean any harm by it etc ...i can assure you there was absolutely no harm done ...with all thats going on in the world today when you look at the bigger picture of things ..can i just say which no doubt others are thinking the same thing ..with all due respect .. "Get a life "..;) have a nice day

Last edited:
You know the best thing about this thread happened to me earlier ... i got a 404 error when logging on to it ..unfortunatly its now still here ... the only reason its still going is because the initial hook was a decent description of an amatuer birder describing a nutcracker which keep the twitching fraternity on tenderhooks ...and the fact that the copyright infringement police have now hijacked it ..even though not a penny has changed hands ...and so except in the eyes of the copyright infringement police ..because the real ones couldnt give a jot ..there has been no crime commited..unless you mean a moral one ...poor you ..boo hoo ...you may get a few appologies ... we didnt mean any harm by it etc ...i can assure you there was absolutely no harm done ...with all thats going on in the world today when you look at the bigger picture of things ..can i just say which no doubt others are thinking the same thing ..with all due respect .. "Get a life "..;) have a nice day

Ditto :t:

A non-birder coursemate of mine came to me the other day with a bird description which, now that I think about it, included a lot of similar elements to this description:

Size and colour of a pigeon/dove
Brownish all over
'White' tail 'tip'
Acting 'like a magpie'
'Never seen before'

Turned out to be a Waxwing. Unless this has been dismissed by Extra-reach I'm putting my mind to rest that's what ER has found.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back