• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unusual swift - Mathura, Trinidad & Tobago (3 Viewers)

bugmat

I know this is a long shot but this swift was seen in a flock of Band-rumped swifts yesterday in Mathura National Park, Trinidad. It looked bigger and the wings looked different from band-rumped swifts (to me at least). Anyone have an idea given what might show up in Trinidad (off the coast of Venezuela)?

20230610-DSC_0535.jpg

I hadn’t realised that New World Swifts Vaux/Chimney have “needle tails”(and I’ve seen both)😮😮
Thus with the OP suggesting that it looked larger, perhaps Chimney might be a better candidate?

Cheers

Would they normally moult during Spring migration?
I don't understand the point of your question. Nobody has said anything about migration, and the date isn't in anybody's northern-hemisphere spring - certainly not tropical America. Birds in general typically moult very soon after breeding, so there's no reason to think that a swift seen in tropical America in mid-June couldn't be moulting. And, regardless of what is typical, this bird is certainly in active primary-moult - hence its weird wing-shape.

I don't understand the point of your question. Nobody has said anything about migration, and the date isn't in anybody's northern-hemisphere spring - certainly not tropical America. Birds in general typically moult very soon after breeding, so there's no reason to think that a swift seen in tropical America in mid-June couldn't be moulting. And, regardless of what is typical, this bird is certainly in active primary-moult - hence its weird wing-shape.
I understand, that Band-rumped Swift can show “hooked” wing tips…presume on demand, this may also apply to other species? or as you suggest it’s in “active moult”….I dunno.😮

I'll try to give some useful remarks.

Chaetura swifts are of course a nightmare and any further pictures (of the upperside) could help.
It looks well-lit, so I assume the dark throat is real.
It has a long tail, so Short-tailed is easily excluded.
Chapman's Swift looks like a good option: according to Birds of Venezuela "a bit larger than most allies", but "very like Vaux's and Ashy-tailed" (although both of these should have more conspicuously pale throats). Band-rumped also has a paler throat. Ebird mentions "appears stockier and broader-winged than allies", which is somewhat thwarted by its moult status!
Finally, Chapman's Swift is known from Trinidad.

presume on demand
As so often... I don't understand what you mean. It helps to use straightforward terminology.
or as you suggest it’s in “active moult”
It is "certainly" in active moult. You can "even see" the contrast between faded old outer primaries and dark fresh inner primaries (as well as 1-2 primaries being absent or invisible).

As so often... I don't understand what you mean. It helps to use straightforward terminology.

It is "certainly" in active moult. You can "even see" the contrast between faded old outer primaries and dark fresh inner primaries (as well as 1-2 primaries being absent or invisible).
Moult is not a “mechanism” that I’ve ever used for ID purposes, having got through my ID years without it!
Relying on better views (unlike the OP’s image) in order to determine a putative ID.
For those that need to practise forensics…good luck to them.

Understood 👍🏻 Though, in that case, not easy to see why you responded to the OP's request at all.
With my rather limited understanding of Swift species, believing that (however unlikely) WTNTSwift was the “only” species with tail projections…I postulated that possibility.
Because for me, birds have wings and are not necessarily tied to already outdated range maps…before the ink dries on paper, such is the speed that species are reacting to climate change.👍

Chimney Swift was not on the T&T bird list per 2007 and is not included in the Field guide by Kennefick et al. So with a single image of a bird explainable with a local species I would go with that (Chapman's).
Niels

I hadn’t realised that New World Swifts Vaux/Chimney have “needle tails”(and I’ve seen both)😮😮
Thus with the OP suggesting that it looked larger, perhaps Chimney might be a better candidate?

Cheers
A friend of mine who birds in Barbados actually suggested Chimney swift, thanks for that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back