• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unusual swift - Mathura, Trinidad & Tobago (1 Viewer)

Chimney Swift was not on the T&T bird list per 2007 and is not included in the Field guide by Kennefick et al. So with a single image of a bird explainable with a local species I would go with that (Chapman's).
Niels
I wouldn't use that as a guide myself but I get your point totally. We got an Eastern wood-pewee earlier this year and that was a first ever. I am apparently the 2nd person here seeing this particular swift (same location 2 weeks after the first sighting) but Martyn (Kenefick) hasn't made a conclusive opinion so far to my knowledge on it's ID. I guess I might file it under possible Chapman's/Chimney /Vaux swift for now.

I wouldn't use that as a guide myself but I get your point totally. We got an Eastern wood-pewee earlier this year and that was a first ever. I am apparently the 2nd person here seeing this particular swift (same location 2 weeks after the first sighting) but Martyn (Kenefick) hasn't made a conclusive opinion so far to my knowledge on it's ID. I guess I might file it under possible Chapman's/Chimney /Vaux swift for now.
Out of interest: which guide is currently considered the best for T&T? The only alternative I have is a very old ffrench book.
Niels

I think you can probably rule out Vaux's

I wouldn't use that as a guide myself but I get your point totally. We got an Eastern wood-pewee earlier this year and that was a first ever. I am apparently the 2nd person here seeing this particular swift (same location 2 weeks after the first sighting) but Martyn (Kenefick) hasn't made a conclusive opinion so far to my knowledge on it's ID. I guess I might file it under possible Chapman's/Chimney /Vaux swift /Ashy-tailed for now.
See above.

Out of interest: which guide is currently considered the best for T&T? The only alternative I have is a very old ffrench book.
Niels
It is still Kenefick as a field guide (3rd edition now) but the Ffrench book is definitely the more detailed book even now, and probably better for anything deeper than a quick field ID.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back