• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Update** Current World Binocular Brands List. (1 Viewer)

Bino Steve

United States
Hi all. A big thank you to those who contributed to this list. Here is what I believe is as close to a final count as I or anyone cares to get.
Again, these are only brands attempting to have a "stand-a-lone" presence in the binocular world. Verified with a website presence. The number after the name is the number of unique models they produce. O.E.M.s only shown if they also self-brand a line and have a website for that brand. No " name of the day " stuff just sold on Amazon , Alibaba , AliExpress or Ebay. Again, please contribute if you like. Enjoy.

Athlon 18
APM 66
Barska 57
Barr & Stroud 25
Bosma 54 approx
Burris 5
Bresser, Alpen 31
Bushnell 72
Canon 10
Celestron around 40
Ecotone 10 (Poland-100% made by Kamakura )
Eschenbach 33
Fujinon 26
GPO 22
Hawke 28
Hinode- 4 - Japan (has China Factory)
Kahles ( owned by Swarovski) 7
Kamakura Koki -12 - mainly a giant OEM
Kenko Tokina 40. (Took over Minolta service and perhaps old Minolta designs?)
Kite Optics- Belgium 35
Komz. 23
Konus - 42 approx - some may be body covering difference only
Kowa 27
Leica 42
Leupold 23
Levenhuk 52
Maven 22
Meade 8
Meopta 17
Minox 19
Nikon 54
Noblex ( formerly Docter) 3
Oberwerk 24
Olympus 8
Opticron 51
Optolyth - unknown, may be closed
Orion 16
Pentax 40
Praktika. 13
PZO 1
Seeadler Optik 23
Sig Sauer 10
Steiner 35
Sunagor 9.
Swarovski 22
Tasco 22
Tract 5
Vanguard 28. Woman owned family biz
Visionary 64. Optical Hardware U.K.store brand
Vixen 34
Vortex 34
Yukon Advanced Optics- (Belarus) -appears to be 10, based on a review site. Company website not functioning.
Zeiss 24
Zhumell 10
Zomz. 8 plus or minus a few
Zrak 1 - Bosnia / Herzigovina company

TOTAL Unique models - 1,343

See Helios binoculars history.

Helios is a registered British brand binocular make that has sold huge numbers of binoculars for over five decades.

At one time they sold Russian binoculars branded Helios.

The Helios name also occurs on lenses for Zenith or Zenit cameras.

Helios binoculars have outsold many of the other names on the list and for much longer than many.

The fact that Helios is unknown in the U.S.A. does not mean it should not be in a world list.

RSBP also have binoculars, as do Acuter and maybe Ostara, but in small numbers.

Regards,
B.

I looked into Helios. They have 43 models. However, they appear to be similar to our department stores rebrands in the United States for stores like Cabelas, Bass Pro, Gander Mountain, REI , West Marine, and etc. They don't have a dedicated website to their binoculars, only the store websites they are sold at. So, if we include them, I think we would have to include the myriad of store brands here in the USA to be fair and I think that starts mucking things up too much. My opinion is to leave them off the list, but again, use the list how you will, I don't claim possession, it's just data..

I put Helios at 43 units on the list Binastro. Although OVL is a store, they seem to be more like Celestron and are making an attempt at maintaining the Helios name. Thx for digging up the website.

Helios added with 43 units

Athlon 18
APM 66
Barska 57
Barr & Stroud 25
Bosma 54 approx
Burris 5
Bresser, Alpen 31
Bushnell 72
Canon 10
Celestron around 40
Eschenbach 33
Fujinon 26
GPO 22
Hawke 28
Helios 43 - U.K. store brand.
Kite Optics- Belgium 35
Komz. 23
Kowa 27
Leica 42
Leupold 23
Levenhuk 52
Maven 22
Meade 8
Meopta 17
Minox 19
Nikon 54
Oberwerk 24
Olympus 8
Opticron 51
Orion 16
Pentax 40
Praktika. 13
PZO 1
Seeadler Optik 23
Sig Sauer 10
Steiner 35
Sunagor 9.
Swarovski 22
Tasco 22
Tract 5
Vixen 34
Vortex 34
Yukon Advanced Optics- (Belarus) -appears to be 10, based on a review site. Company website not functioning.
Zeiss 24
Zhumell 10

TOTAL 1,386

I put Helios at 43 units on the list Binastro. Although OVL is a store, they seem to be more like Celestron and are making an attempt at maintaining the Helios name. Thx for digging up the website.

Very much like Celestron, Bushnell etc. - Not a manufacturer, but not a store rebrander.

How about Carson Optical ? I still have a pair of 8x32 XM-HD binos from 11 years ago that were very nice. Also see they still have a website selling binos

How about Carson Optical ? I still have a pair of 8x32 XM-HD binos from 11 years ago that were very nice. Also see they still have a website selling binos
Many of these are just a clone, rebrander seller. Anyone can enter the world of selling optics with a trip to China
with a suitcase full of cash, and fill out the order blank.
The rest of selling optics is important. That means offering sales support and warranty. Buyer beware.....
Jerry

Many of these are just a clone, rebrander seller. Anyone can enter the world of selling optics with a trip to China
with a suitcase full of cash, and fill out the order blank.
The rest of selling optics is important. That means offering sales support and warranty. Buyer beware.....
Jerry
Well at least they outlasted many others that I can think of from 11 years back :) They must be doing something right for somebody.

Last edited:
Added Carson 38. Good call, they have a big website. Can't believe I ignored them. I have a Carson monocular. I need to check out the 8x24 Mantaray porro. Looks interesting.

Athlon 18
APM 66
Barska 57
Barr & Stroud 25
Bosma 54 approx
Burris 5
Bresser, Alpen 31
Bushnell 72
Canon 10
Carson 38
Celestron around 40
Eschenbach 33
Fujinon 26
GPO 22
Hawke 28
Helios 43 - U.K. store brand.
Kite Optics- Belgium 35
Komz. 23
Kowa 27
Leica 42
Leupold 23
Levenhuk 52
Maven 22
Meade 8
Meopta 17
Minox 19
Nikon 54
Oberwerk 24
Olympus 8
Opticron 51
Orion 16
Pentax 40
Praktika. 13
PZO 1
Seeadler Optik 23
Sig Sauer 10
Steiner 35
Sunagor 9.
Swarovski 22
Tasco 22
Tract 5
Vixen 34
Vortex 34
Zeiss 24
Zhumell 10

TOTAL 1,424

Website won't load. I thought Swift closed shop? Will keep checking. No one ever mentions them anymore.
Although I can gain entry to their website, I suspect you may be right about them being out of business. The original Swift Instruments, Inc. was sold in part to Swift Sport Optics in 2006, but since I wasn't interesting in their Chinese products I didn't pay much attention. Out of curiosity I'll try to check it out further next week and report back. Thanks. Ed

To my surprise Leupold is on the list. As I have written before Leupold reported me that they did not make any binoculars when we wanted to visit the company at the time the Binocular History Society had its meeting in Portland. But if that is kept on the list we should add: Beck, Hertel@Reuss, Hartmann, Schütz, Kern, Huett, Watson, Ross, Möller, Bleeker, Delft Instruments, Goerz, Busch, Ddoptics. (exactly the same binocular program as Kite).
Gijs van Ginkel

True, DDoptics should definitely be on the list if Kite is on it and Maven. All those 3 brands sell Kamakura optics in their high-end lines and Chinese optics in the lower end.
The EDX HR from DDoptics was the same bino as the Kite Bonelli

The Ibis ED 10x50 and 12x50 also look suspiciously similar to the DDoptics EDX.

Last edited:
Hi Gijs. Appreciate your input always. You know I thought I has DDO on the list once, I know the logo. It may have gotten lost during alphabetizing. I will re visit them. You list other brands long gone and Delft has no verifiable website. Leupold absolutely deserves to be on the list. They have a verifiable web presence and make a real attempt to have a brand of binoculars, with sales, support and service. That was the criteria. Here in the USA, Leupold is highly regarded, especially by hunters who buy riflescopes and binos. Thanks for helping with the list.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back