• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vacation Advice Requested (1 Viewer)

I am seeking readers' advice on holiday destinations where good birding should be possible, combined with some non-birding activities to keep the wife happy!
The key factor is that I am married to a school teacher, and so we are restricted to the period from mid July to the end of August for our main holiday. Now I find that this is not normally the best time of year for bird watching in many regions, for different reasons - lack of migrants, unreliable weather, etc. So any help or suggestions would be welcome on any good locations during this period.
We are UK based, but are looking for somewhere further afield for a bit of variety. We would consider anywhere within reason (and our budget!), but North, Central or South America, China, or Russia could all be of interest.

Any ideas, folks?
Wirral Rover

Wirral Rover said:
I am seeking readers' advice on holiday destinations where good birding should be possible, combined with some non-birding activities to keep the wife happy!
The key factor is that I am married to a school teacher, and so we are restricted to the period from mid July to the end of August for our main holiday. Now I find that this is not normally the best time of year for bird watching in many regions, for different reasons - lack of migrants, unreliable weather, etc. So any help or suggestions would be welcome on any good locations during this period.
We are UK based, but are looking for somewhere further afield for a bit of variety. We would consider anywhere within reason (and our budget!), but North, Central or South America, China, or Russia could all be of interest.

Any ideas, folks?
Wirral Rover

Mexico?

Hi Wirral Rover,
There are many places where the weather & birds combine in July/Aug. Here are my choices:
USA - west coast - California-Alaska
Indonesia -the southern arm - eg. Bali
Ecuador
Peru
Kenya
Tanzania
Malaysia (peninsular)
Mozambique
Zambia
Bhutan

I've done Mexico & USA in July - both great (go to west coast Mexico - you can now fly Manchester - Puerta Vallarta again, good package deals).
Kenya is fabulous in July & similar climate Tanzania.
It depends on what you want to combine birding with, but all the above have lots to offer.
Some of these are obviously more expensive than others, often a package deal will get you there as cheap as flight only, then you can hire cars/guides etc. & do your own thing. Other places tend to be cheaper on a DIY basis (you can't do a package to SAmerica eg.)
I use a small book, bought at the Airport, called "Weather to Travel" which I find invaluable for planning a holiday.
Happy hunting!
Halftwo

Tricky. That's the beginning of hurricane season in the Caribbean and eastern Mexican coast.

In N. America, Southern California might be an option. Plenty of beaches, Hollywood, the San Diego Zoo, and Sea World for the non-birders. Newport Bay, Boca Chica, the San Bernardino and Laguna Mountains, and the Salton Sea if you dare, for the birders.

Kenya would certainly be a good bet - either north (preferably) or south of Mombasa. Excellent hotels and beaches with plenty of birds in and around the hotels. A 2/3-day safari to Tsavo National Park is both affordable and popular with tourists, offering the chance to see plenty of animals, which should keep the wife happy!!! - plus a wide variety of birds. I've done the trip twice and had a great time on each occasion.

Places with Ruins

There are some great places where interesting ruins make the trip more interesting for a non-birder.

I would suggest Macchu Pichu. Any place in the Andes would be good in July and August, because it isn't sweltering hot. Fly to Lima, see the gold museum, have a beer and good dinner at a restaurant on a jetty, with Inca Turns flying about, then in the morning fly to Cusco. Don't stay in Cusco the first night, though - drop into the Sacred Valley for a few days to acclimatize. We had Hotel Sauce in Ollantaytambo arrange for a taxi to pick us up at the airport in Cuzco, and drive us down to Ollantaytambo. On the way the driver was happy to stop at marshes so we could see Many-Colored Marsh-Tyrants. You can enjoy the ruins there, then take the train to Macchu Picchu. Stay there several days in good facilities with many dining options, and enjoy the ruins and birding. Return to Cuzco relaxed and acclimatized, for a day or two to see more ruins and an ancient, facinating city. Hire a taxi to take you to Huacarpay to see marsh birds and Bearded Mountaineers.

You can fly down to Puerto Maldonado for birding in the Amazonian Basin. We stayed at Posada Amazonas. They made it easy, by picking us up at the airport and taking us by truck and boat to the lodge on the Rio Madre De Dios. They had a nice program that included clay licks, a canopy tower, and visits to a shaman's hospital facility. We enjoyed it, and appreciated supporting community-based ecotourism.

These are all places a school teacher should visit to be a well-rounded instructor, anyway. You would be remiss if you fail to go.

Cheers,
Jeff

How about the Kruger National Park? There are lots of birds and a fabulous amount of wildlife that will have any normal person reaching for binoculars. In many of the rest camps there birds will come very close (even though feeding is forbidden) and perhaps exposure to Cape Glossy Starlings, Red-headed Weavers or Grey Louries might pique her interest. If not, she can watch the Hippos and Crocs whilst you look out for eagles and vultures. Cape Town area is also prett good for birds and there are stacks of things to do for non-birders, many of which are outdoors. You might not get her to the sewage treatment plant though!

Can't beat southeast Arizona that time of year: all the specialties are present, most attending conspicuously to young, and post-breeding wanderers from Mexico are in, particularly hummingbirds. It's also one of the best seasons here for vagrants.
And the weather is good if you time your day correctly: early mornings in the desert, hot periods in the mountain canyons, and evenings watching the monsoon thunderstorms roll in!

Wirral Rover said:

Any ideas, folks?
Wirral Rover

Queensland

Rick Wright said:
Can't beat southeast Arizona that time of year: all the specialties are present, most attending conspicuously to young, and post-breeding wanderers from Mexico are in, particularly hummingbirds. It's also one of the best seasons here for vagrants.
And the weather is good if you time your day correctly: early mornings in the desert, hot periods in the mountain canyons, and evenings watching the monsoon thunderstorms roll in!

Hi,

Queensland in Australia ( especially around Cairns ) is very good in european summer. The temperature is not to hot, very few rain, lots of birdlife ( with good luck Cassuaeries ), nice beaches, nice rainforest ( trees with butress roots ), Great Barrier reef and so on.

Best regards
Dieter

Wow! Thanks to everyone who has taken time to send in their recommendations. This certainly gives me plenty of ideas to look into in more detail. Should keep us going for a few years too!
South Africa, Mexico and the Andes all sound of particular interest, but now I need to start searching the internet and library for more info. That will be a pleasure on its own.
Thanks again,
Wirral Rover

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back