• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Varna in mid September (1 Viewer)

Earnest lad

I have found a really good plane ticket to get to Varna mid September and have decided to go for a few days.
Please can anyone advise (a) some good places convenient for Varna to do birding
(b) which species are around that time of year.

Hello Earnest Lad,

Whereabouts are you staying and will you have a car?

Autumn migration should be in full swing by then so there should be plenty of species around, have a look at my friend's website here to get a flavour of what you might see! If you have any more questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Chris

Hi Earnest lad,

No problem at all, I'm glad you enjoyed your visit here! Pavel is a good guy and a great host!
I saw your trip report and ID requests. For what it is worth I agree with Simon on the putative Temminck's! For future reference if you have both in the field they aren't too hard to differentiate, Temminck's has plainer, less 'spangly' plumage and doesn't have the white lines on the back of Little. Also feeding behaviour is different, Temminck's very rarely feeds in the water, preferrring the mud and vegetation around the edge. The clincher if seen well is leg colour, Temminck's being a light yellow/green as opposed to Little's black.

HTH,

Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back