• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very Poor Service from Gentec Canada (Zeiss service agent) (1 Viewer)

james holdsworth

Consulting Biologist
I’ve put this off for months but finally have had enough. Just for background, Gentec Canada is the contracted service provider for Zeiss in Canada. Although they do not do major service they do they do simple repairs and parts replacement.

I have had to replace my conquest HD eyecups twice now, as they literally fall apart after several years of use. The first two times Gentec did get me eyecups upon request, although it took months in both cases. This time I have been waiting nearly a year and have followed up numerous times with both emails and phone calls. Emails have been replied back as a completed ticket, which of course is incorrect. This is happened three times. I have had phone conversations with someone in service who reassured me that parts were on order and will be shipped out shortly. This was months ago and attempts to make further contact now seem to be ignored. It must be said that some of my most recent emails have been strongly worded and quite critical of the response Gentec has provided so far.

Now I’m in a situation where I don’t really have any recourse and venting here was my last resort. Considering how simple my request is… They literally only have to ship the completed eye cup to be screwed in, I don’t understand the apathy.

Let's focus on a few of words in your statement - 'literally fall apart after several years of use' - it's rubber what do you expect?

I think they're probably at the stage where they have said can't really help you or not our problem and OMG this guy again...

Sorry if I'm wrong

I figured I’d get that response….the conquest eyecups are garbage. I’ve got ten year old eyecups on my HTs that are perfect, with thousands of hours of hard field use.

If the product wasn’t so shoddy I wouldn’t be complaining.

Thank you for sharing. I was considering a pair from Zeiss, however quality customer service is important to me.

One can't expect eyecups to last forever, but one would hope the service department would be quick and friendly with turn around when new ones are needed. This alone is enough to turn me off. I have passed on, or sold many otherwise good products because the companies customer service has been so poor.

Now I’m in a situation where I don’t really have any recourse
You're not the only one here to complain about Conquest eyecups, but just getting angrier with idiots obviously isn't working (I know the feeling). Contact Zeiss USA (or DE) instead; tell them these need replacement with heavy use and Gentec aren't doing their job.

I wrote directly to Zeiss, without intermediaries for received eyecups that expand more for my Conquest 10x42. I wanted these because the initial ones extended less (those without glasses had to hold the binoculars away from the eyes, without contact and support on the eyebrow). I received it together with the covers, in about a month, all for free! They moved quite quickly, I think because I did not make my request through the local service agent company.

I'm a Canadian Zeiss user and I echo your experiences dealing with Gentec in Canada. I've had to use Gentec a few times for warranty work and parts ordering. The lack of customer service and massive time delays in communication is exasperating. There is no incentive for Gentec to provide good service in Canada because they have a monopoly on Zeiss sport optics in the country despite not having any technical or product knowledge. In addition, Zeiss pricing in Canada is set by Gentec and are ridiculously high compared almost any to other market. I will not buy Zeiss products in Canada and pay the huge margins into Gentec's pocket. The fact that I'm forced to use Gentec for warranty work is frustrating and I've voiced my concerns to Zeiss USA several times with no positive outcome.

I'm a Canadian Zeiss user and I echo your experiences dealing with Gentec in Canada. I've had to use Gentec a few times for warranty work and parts ordering. The lack of customer service and massive time delays in communication is exasperating. There is no incentive for Gentec to provide good service in Canada because they have a monopoly on Zeiss sport optics in the country despite not having any technical or product knowledge. In addition, Zeiss pricing in Canada is set by Gentec and are ridiculously high compared almost any to other market. I will not buy Zeiss products in Canada and pay the huge margins into Gentec's pocket. The fact that I'm forced to use Gentec for warranty work is frustrating and I've voiced my concerns to Zeiss USA several times with no positive outcome.
I am guessing you would need to voice your frustrations directly to Zeiss headquarters in Germany.

Squeaky wheel…my eyecups arrived expedited post yesterday. Too bad I had to go this route but no doubt effective.

Now, the eyecups….and no fault of Gentec here but… I’m amazed Zeiss hasn’t made the tiniest change in construction of what they know well is an inferior product. The top half of the eyecup is unsupported rubber and collapses fairly quickly from use. Worse, the movement of the cups remains medieval. Each twist up or down required enough force that you feel like you’ll snap something off. My new pair also don’t seem to retract fully down…need to get a pair of channel locks on them to see if they will actually set properly.

Zeiss, these are completely inadequate for purpose.

On 10x25 the rubber failed they're really installed for not being removed, i just cut the damaged rubber off and moved on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back