• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

views on slc 7,42 wanted (1 Viewer)

matt green

Norfolkman gone walkabout
afternoon all, just want peoples opinions on the swarovski slc's.i tried a pair the other day at titchwell and compered them with nikon highgrade lights.i thought though heavier the swaro's had an amazingly bright,sharp wide field of view but not quite as nautral as the highgrades.also the swaro's twist up eyecups didnt feel that secure and the focus felt a little dry,the pair i tried were secondhand.i think i would feel more comfortable spending top money on swarovski on the basis of their excellent customer service record.discuss?
[still not a proper birder,even after seeing sammy titchwell stilt?]

Matt,

Hmmm. You seem to have some issues with the 7x42 SLCs, yet you are leaning toward them.

I spent about three years looking before I bought my first "premium" binoculars several years ago. Quite a few new binoculars have appeared since then, but I have not seen any that make me wish I had waited. My choice was the Swaro 7x42 SLCs. The 8x42 Nikon Venturers (the USA name for the Highgrades) were second on my final list.

I picked the SLCs because they were a very nice fit in my hands, and because I loved the fast and smooth focus. I also wanted a wide field. The only issues I had with them were the weight, and the not particularly close focus. Neither has proved to be an issue in use.

I have not had any problems with the twist up eyecups. They work smoothly and stay where they are. If you share binoculars with someone else - something I try very hard to avoid - the diopter adjustment on the SLCs is not quite as slick and easy as the Leicas, for instance. Not bad, but not perfect.

Clear skies, Alan

thanks for those comments alan,on reading my post it does seem that i was a little critical.i had never really handled swarovski bins before but what really impressed me about these was how easy they are on the eyes.i could look through them for an hour solid and proberbly not suffer any eyestrain.this may have been due to the lower magnification.i am still compering different bins for purchase later in the year,i have lots of time to make my mind up because i'm still broke

Last edited:
matt green said:
thanks for those comments alan,on reading my post it does seem that i was a little critical.i had never really handled swarovski bins before but what really impressed me about these was how easy they are on the eyes.i could look through them for an hour solid and proberbly not suffer any eyestrain.this may have been due to the lower magnification.i am still compering different bins for purchase later in the year,i have lots of time to make my mind up because i'm still broke

Matt,

I think the 7mm exit pupil, although not often all used by the eye, does make for comfort and ease of use. I recently got a pair with a 3mm exit pupil. Although they are great, and I love the higher magnification, I find I sometimes have issues with the smaller exit pupil. It requires more care in setting the IP distance and in properly positioning the eye.

I think being able to take your time in selecting the perfect binocular for yourself is very valuable. I needed time because there are few places in my area that carry high end binoculars.

Have fun looking!

Clear skies, Alan

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back