• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vortex 8x28 Fury and 8x25 Spitfire (1 Viewer)

Anyone have any hand's on experience with either of these?

I'm looking for a quality compact and am not up to spending on the Ultravid or Nikon 8x20 HG.

Thank's for any input.

Hi Brad,

I'll start by saying I'm a rank amateur here...BUT....I actually own the Vortex Sidewinder 8x42's. I bought them recently (within the last month) and they are my first pair of halfway decent bins. I'm still getting used to them..in fact just came in from outside. My opinion on them is good overall. My only issue is the focus knob makes a slight crackling noise when it moves and I doubt it's supposed to. BUT...it doesn't seem to affect the performance at all, so I didn't send them back. The optics to me seem pretty good (far better than what I was using). They feel solid and well-built (other than the focus knob issue...but that's likely a fluke). They have a GREAT warranty (in fact, my guess is that if the focus thing ever really started to bother me, I could get it taken care of with no problems). I have found it very easy to contact someone in the company. Both times I wrote to them, I received a reply within as little as 15 minutes.

I would assume that the two models you mentioned would be similar to mine (they are fairly close in price-range)

I can't say they're better than....well...anything...because I really haven't had the opportunity to try anything else. BUT..as I said, my experience with them has been quite satisfactory as of now.

Oh...and if you tried them and they weren't your thing....I would suggest Eagle Optics....I got mine from them...and one pair DID have to go back (UPS played soccer with my package and the bins got knocked around a bit too much)....they were VERY friendly and helpful. I will definitely go back to them.

Hope this helps

Ozz

Well, there may be some 8x32 models out there that might work for you, even in the Vortex catalog. More light is better. I have not found any Vortexes yet, I liked the idea of the 8.5x32.

I tried the Vortex Spitfire 8.5x32 and liked the magnification. However, I found the optics quite poor even for a compact. There was too much chromatic aberration and the image resolution was a bit low. Just spend a few more dollars, and there is a notable improvement in the optics. I did try the Vortex Fury 8x28 but don't remember the details other than it being much more pleasing then the Spitfire.

OK, forget that then. I guess the Vortex catalog is best sampled in a store, but nobody here carries it. So, I guess you need to go to Wisconsin!

Tero said:
Well, there may be some 8x32 models out there that might work for you, even in the Vortex catalog. More light is better. I have not found any Vortexes yet, I liked the idea of the 8.5x32.

I own an 8x32 Ultravid and am looking for a smaller and lighter model for backpacking...

I also have checked out a Spitfire, 10x32. It had poor optics.

There are a few phase coated Vortex models that may be better. At one point I thought the 10x32 could be my entry into the 10x32 world.
http://www.eagleoptics.com/index.asp?pid=4838
Never did get to see them, and I pretty much gave up on 10x32s. But the 8x32 Fury might still be quite esful. Someone check them out, please!

I have yet to try either model. I am contemplating the 8x32 or 6.5x32 Fury when it comes out this summer. Speaking of which, the Furies aren't supposed to be out until this summer. ;)

However, the specs on this model look pretty impressive for the price. The 8x32 is going to sport a 407 foot field of view. That coupled with the silver coated roof prism are enough for me to recognize it at this price point. Hopefully I will have something favorable to report.

Tero said:
I also have checked out a Spitfire, 10x32. It had poor optics.

There are a few phase coated Vortex models that may be better. At one point I thought the 10x32 could be my entry into the 10x32 world.
http://www.eagleoptics.com/index.asp?pid=4838
Never did get to see them, and I pretty much gave up on 10x32s. But the 8x32 Fury might still be quite esful. Someone check them out, please!

thanks for the update. That saves me the trouble to ever try one of those.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back