• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wader ID south wales (1 Viewer)

Owene

Wales
wader.jpg

Any thoughts on the long billed wader in front of the Ringed Plover

As well as ringed plover there were Grey Plovers, Sanderling, Turnstone, Oystercatcher none of which fit to my eye. The site is known for purple sandpiper which I spent a lot of time looking for but didn't find but again the bill seems wrong

Hello Owene,

do you have more pictures?
I agree with Daniel, the bird you asked for is a Dunlin.

But two thoughts:
  • if you have more pictures, then the might well act as some kind of "hidden picture game" and might well produce a Purple Sandpiper.
  • what is the bird just right of the Dunlin? First gut feeling is,its a Redshank. But it might well be another Dunlin, and brown upperparts seems wrong for a Purple SP. I hope for more pictures and comments. Thanks!

I’ve got a few mixed ones. Im
Going out in a minute but I’ll post later. The dunlin stood out as different in bins even though I couldn’t Id it so I took some maximum zoom shots of the general location

I’d guess that is a second dunlin. I didn’t see any active dunlin at all but there could have been sleeping ones

Hello Owene,

do you have more pictures?
I agree with Daniel, the bird you asked for is a Dunlin.

But two thoughts:
  • if you have more pictures, then the might well act as some kind of "hidden picture game" and might well produce a Purple Sandpiper.
  • what is the bird just right of the Dunlin? First gut feeling is,its a Redshank. But it might well be another Dunlin, and brown upperparts seems wrong for a Purple SP. I hope for more pictures and comments. Thanks!

here we go, where's wally of common british waders

waders2.jpg

I think we just have backward facing turnstones as mystery birds in this one

waders3.jpg
Backward facing Ringed Plovers?

waders4.jpg

Dunlin?

waders5.jpg

sleepy Sanderling?

waders6.jpg

Dunlin, can see the summer plumage belly on one
Left bird looks different, probably sanderling

Hello,
thanks for the new pictures. I cant detect a Purple SP, but maybe others can?

Picture 1 I agree with you, center bird is a Turnstone for me, too
Picture 2 difficult, but I think there are three Dunlins (dark legs in the right bird, dark-olive-brown upperparts, weak v on mantle on the left bird, a feature?)
Picture 3 yes, Dunlin for me, too
Picture 4 difficult for me. Yes, it might well be a Sanderling. But it seems smaller than the Dunlin and the Ringed Plover. Most Sanderlings seems slightly larger than both species, despite beeing same size
Picture 5: I see 4 Dunlins among the Ringed Plovers

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back