• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Warbler? for ID (1 Viewer)

I wonder if those line one the crown are real.. or just result from some sort of contast caused by light refelction off the edges of feather tracts (esp if the crown feathers are slighly raised)

So you think that might be what it was then?

I've never seen one and the only picture I have to hand of one shows it with pale legs, but guess there might be some variation?

Just thought if the first thought was of a Blyth's, that Blunt-winged is the nearest thing to being one without being one! :)

If that makes sense?!

Hi Pinkpigeon,
No, I am not saying that this is Blunt-winged. I was merely confirming the status of the species in India.
I am not sure how critical the crown bars are, but they appear very real in the image. I shoot many thousands of birds and have not seen this pattern before except in a Yellow-browed Tit once. I am not suggesting that this is a Yellow-browed Tit.

Hmm, well its a real stumper! Without knowing for sure primary projection and wing bars...it might have to go down as one that got away! ;(

Still not sure the crown lines are real.. they are assymetric for a start - more on the left of the photo than the right... suggesting thats its a shadow effect from raised feather tracts. The feathers are naturally arranged in lines, its only when they are different colors that it become obvious.

apparent leg colour rules out the bush warblers

otherwise I can't go much further from the pic

Sumit....should be in your part of the world in April. I'll pm you for some info later if that's ok with you

Thanks Folks!
Tim, good to know that you are travelling east. Sure, please send me a PM - glad to help if I have the info.
Sumit

Can't add anything else, other than to say that when I was at Bharatpur in 99 Blyth's Reed were very common... however I don't think it looks like one!

Thanks Tom, not a Blyth's Reed, I think, which is indeed common. Attached is a Blyth's Reed from the same place.
Cheers!
Sumit

Attachments

• blythreedwarbler8bp.jpg
    blythreedwarbler8bp.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 50
Can you tell Syke's from Booted without trapping it?

Or is it that a Booted is too implausible an occurence in NW India?

I think my monitor is awful. To me it looks almost the same colour as a Cetti's Warbler!

I'd still favour a bush warbler. I know the leg colour doesn't look right, but its so hard to judge what colour they actually are from that pic.

I checked last night and it was Corbett, not Bharatpur where I saw Grey Sided. I didn't remember it having all that rufous a crown & if I remember correctly (not always my strong point) it was very similar to this pic.

Jane, I agree with you on the crown streaking. I don't think its a plumage feature.

Sumit, are the Siberian Cranes there any more?

Tom

Hi Tom,
Sadly, the Siberian Cranes missed out two years running, so I guess that the last pair will not visit Bharatpur again. I understand that they were getting on in any case and the future had looked dim for some time now.
Regards,
Sumit

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back