• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Warbler? for ID (3 Viewers)

Hi all,
While I have no idea what this mystery warbler is,I have decided to post in answer to this question from Tom McKinney:
'Can you tell Syke's from Booted without trapping it?'
Well,back in 1990 a Hippolais warbler was seen on Cape Clear Island,Co.Cork,and duly accepted as an Olivaceous Warbler.However,in recent years there have been major advances in the identification of Olivaceous and Booted Warblers,with the associated realisation that these were,in fact,best treated as four distinct species:Western Olivaceous,Eastern Olivaceous,Booted and Sykes's.
As a result,the IRBC carried out a review of accepted 'Olivaceous Warbler' records:the 1999 bird was considered exempt,as it had gone through its original circulation at a time when many of the features had been sorted out,and is now referable to Eastern Olivaceous(having seen that one,I can vouch for the regularity with which this species pumps its tail downwards!).
Of the other three formerly acceptable records,the Tory Island record from the 50's was rejected,the 1977 Dursey record became the 1st Irish Eastern Olivaceous,and the Cape bird(which wasn't trapped)?
That was accepted as having been Ireland's first(and,to date,only) Sykes's Warbler,so I'd say that it must be possible to seperate this species from Booted!;)
[As an aside,at the start of last year I had seen all of the Hippos on the Irish list:this is no longer the case,what with the Booted in September and this Sykes's having been accepted as such...there's always NEXT autumn!]
Harry H

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back