• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Warblers (1 Viewer)

qwerty5

Controversial opinion generator
United States
(SW OH) I saw a Nashville Warbler today, a lifer for me. Also saw Blackburnian, Black-throated Green, American Redstart, and heard Common Yellowthroat. Besides the regular birds I also saw a Swainson's Thrush. What warblers have you seen today?

Last edited:
Nice, a Yellow Warbler showed up in the same tree in my yard every day for over a week. He left earlier this week

This evening I saw 3 or 4 male Blackpoll Warblers foraging and singing intermittently. I never noticed before how bright their legs were! I also saw a Black-throated Green Warbler. I saw every distinct plumage of Orchard Oriole: adult male, female, and first-year male. Another treat was two Ruby-throated Hummingbirds

Last edited:
This evening I saw 3 or 4 male Blackpoll Warblers foraging and singing intermittently. I never noticed before how bright their legs were! I also saw a Black-throated Green Warbler. I saw every distinct plumage of Orchard Oriole: adult male, female, and first-year male. Another treat was two Ruby-throated Hummingbirds
Blackpoll Warblers are usually the last species to arrive so it's a very strange year for migration indeed. Those cold NW winds and the storms down South probably have a lot to do with it.

Blackpoll Warblers are usually the last species to arrive so it's a very strange year for migration indeed. Those cold NW winds and the storms down South probably have a lot to do with it.
That's weird, I saw Blackpoll on May 6 this year, before any of the other non-early warblers

Last edited:
it's a very strange year for migration indeed. Those cold NW winds and the storms down South probably have a lot to do with it.
According to the BirdCast live migration maps, migration was pretty much shut down here for most of a week.

One of the reasons I do a blog is that it’s like a diary. I can go back and see what previous years have produced. This year is very screwed up compared to other years. Certainly in this area Blackpoll are usually the last Warblers to arrive. I still haven’t seen one so perhaps there’s hope for more species to come.

One of the reasons I do a blog is that it’s like a diary. I can go back and see what previous years have produced. This year is very screwed up compared to other years. Certainly in this area Blackpoll are usually the last Warblers to arrive. I still haven’t seen one so perhaps there’s hope for more species to come.
I have kept birding records since last spring in Microsoft Word. I just make a list of the species seen and heard, and how many individuals if known, plus additional notes.

You ought to check out eBird, it keeps your data for you and makes it available for everyone. I’m not that much into it myself but I know people who religiously record everything.

In this area there’s usually regular posts on the ABA Birding News of 24-27 species of Warbler at this time of year. Right now there’s nothing. A friend was out in the Magee Marsh area last week and he said it was dire the first few days with very cold winds. He said they ended up with 22 species of warblers which was below average for them.

22 species in a week sounds like heaven. So far this spring I've seen 14 warbler species. I've only been birding 10 times in the last 5 weeks though, I'm too dang busy. As far as migration weirdness, I've seen Northern Parula at the same local park in mid-April for the last two springs. That's two weeks before they are "supposed" to be here. I wonder if it's the same individual.

This morning I heard a Northern Parula in the trees at church. Makes the one I heard on April 13 even stranger.

Got some amazing close ups of Hermit Warblers this morning, I thought they had left but another wave must be passing through. The wind/colder temps I think have helped the warblers/vireos stick around. Yellows, Townsends, Wilsons, Orange Crowned, Hermits, Cassins Vireos and Lazuli buntings today.

This morning I went to the woods but got scared off by the cicadas. They had apparently just emerged and were sitting low on plants in the paths through the woods. I saw a Swainson's Thrush and heard one singing. I heard a Common Yellowthroat singing. I got tired of trying to pick my way around cicadas and left to do some fencerow birding. Indigo Buntings were everywhere. The best birds of the day were 3 Yellow-billed Cuckoos, a species I haven't seen since 2017. Cuckoos have such a unique shape while flying: long thin wings, and a long, extremely thin tail. Overall the day was pretty much a bust for migrants, but the cuckoos salvaged it.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back