• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Warning! Do NOT buy Zeiss! (1 Viewer)

My question is if the bins were faulty at purchase why did the OP buy them in the first place.Did he not inspect them or if he bought them blind under the sale of goods acts he should return them to the supplier as not fit for purpose.Something smells a little fishy here....Eddy.

Eddy, many of us can't just go to a store to evaluate! And if nothing else, aside from the bother, one is usually stuck with the postage for sending the faulty item back. And of course, one can't just send it at the cheapest rate. Proof of having returned the item is adding to the costs.

I have had three pairs of Zeiss binoculars since I started birding 30 yrs. ago. They have all been great - expensive but worth it and the only problem, which was of my own making, was sorted out, free of charge and without fuss by Zeiss UK!
My next pair, without doubt, will also be Zeiss

Tony

I don't agree with you. This is a price range where these things should not happen. and if they do, the best one can do to motivate a manufacturer to improve their QC is to make these things public. Particularly in these times when so much needs to be ordered in the internet.

I should add that this is not Zeiss specific, but their QC has been particularly spotty in the past. I had even finger prints on a prism.

So if you trimmed your neighbors trees for a fee and made a mistake, you would prefer your neighbor to take an ad out in the local paper saying you screwed him before he talked to you?

There are customers from hell, I suspect the OP is one. He hasnt been back on, he never had any intention of coming back on, he was trying to strongarm Zeiss and force their hand before they ever even knew they had a problem. Thats very childish and not the way you handle business.

All this sort of gives me a chuckle. Reference Pete Dunne about Zeiss and there is a picture of him wearing a Swarovski Jacket and Leica binocular hanging from his neck.8-P

The other thing that makes me chuckle and horrifies me at the same time, is that everyone who replies outraged at the original post, is promoting it back to the top of the day's postings. So a lot of site visitors are just seeing "Warning! Do NOT buy Zeiss! " topping the headlines everyday.

The other thing that makes me chuckle and horrifies me at the same time, is that everyone who replies outraged at the original post, is promoting it back to the top of the day's postings. So a lot of site visitors are just seeing "Warning! Do NOT buy Zeiss! " topping the headlines everyday.

That's exactly why I asked 37 posts ago to put this baby to bed!

Jan

I think Zeiss have a great product line and I have experienced nothing but top-notch quality with the 10 units I own. That said, although the poster is over-the-top, the actual sentiment is valid - there are clear QA / design issues with the 54 mm HT's, as seen from the OP as well as respected testers.

So far, Zeiss have said they see nothing wrong and will do nothing. Maybe, if nothing more, a thread like this will have them think [and look] again. It is clear the 54 mm HT's are not worthy of the Zeiss badge in their current state and Zeiss needs to remedy this to keep their reputation intact. Saying a binocular that isn't sharp in the centre-field is fine [at nearly $3000.00] is completely unacceptable. When was the last time an alpha maker came out with a clearly defective optical design? This wouldn't be acceptable for Zen-Ray, inexcusable for Zeiss.

So, maybe in this case, shouting from the roof-tops is what is needed. Over 4000 views of this thread can't be helping sales, that's for sure.

Look at a company like Porsche, a company clearly concerned with their image of quality. 2 911 GT-3's suffer engine fires and the entire production line is recalled and EVERY SINGLE engine replaced - ensuring that the problem is completely put to bed. I realize the comparison is a bit specious but it does show how far they thought they needed to go the maintain their brand status. Zeiss should be thinking the same.

Last edited:
I think Zeiss have a great product line and I have experienced nothing but top-notch quality with the 10 units I own. That said, although the poster is over-the-top, the actual sentiment is valid - there are clear QA / design issues with the 54 mm HT's, as seen from the OP as well as respected testers.

So far, Zeiss have said they see nothing wrong and will do nothing. Maybe, if nothing more, a thread like this will have them think [and look] again. It is clear the 54 mm HT's are not worthy of the Zeiss badge in their current state and Zeiss needs to remedy this to keep their reputation intact. Saying a binocular that isn't sharp in the centre-field is fine [at nearly $3000.00] is completely unacceptable. When was the last time an alpha maker came out with a clearly defective optical design? This wouldn't be acceptable for Zen-Ray, inexcusable for Zeiss.

So, maybe in this case, shouting from the roof-tops is what is needed. Over 4000 views of this thread can't be helping sales, that's for sure.

Look at a company like Porsche, a company clearly concerned with their image of quality. 2 911 GT-3's suffer engine fires and the entire production line is recalled and EVERY SINGLE engine replaced - ensuring that the problem is completely put to bed. I realize the comparison is a bit specious but it does show how far they thought they needed to go the maintain their brand status. Zeiss should be thinking the same.

To put this in the right perspective:
4081 people looked at it.
About 80 bothered to post a reaction.
36 of them were negative about posters problem and
9 agreed.

Jan

I treated myself to a pair of Zeiss 8x20 Conquest binoculars over a year ago. After using them for about a month I had to return them to Zeiss to have debris removed from one barrel. I wonder what it was composed of ? Was the black debris plastic shavings that had been held out of sight by static electricity.

On websites these binoculars are usually considered to be second rate. I have found them to have pin sharp definition and colour rendition and to be a truly pocket sized pair.I enjoy using them.

However I did not expect to spend hundreds of pounds and receive a less than perfect pair of optics. In the internet age where we can usually read reviews of any expensive equipment we are considering purchasing, manufacturers need to have excellent quality control if they want to survive.

Would I purchase another pair of Zeiss binoculars in the future ? Possibly!

Ehhh, Whatdoyoumean??????

Jan:

You must be a large stocking dealer. I see your Zeiss shelves have quickly
filled, if you have just came back on as a dealer, in October.

I see some nice Classics, the HT's, Conquests, Terra's even in blue, and also
a NightOwl on the bottom. Is that a used trade-in?

Eye candy, yes indeed! I would love to visit your store if I ever get the
chance.

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back