• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Website for Orthoptera songs? (1 Viewer)

James Blake

chasing the shadow of a lowskimming gull
Hi all

Does anyone know of a website where you can listen to the songs of British Orthoptera?

Or failing that, is there a CD? (My little field guide, which isn't that old (1980s or 90s), mentions you can get a "gramophone record"!)

Any info appreciated

James

James Blake said:
Hi all

Does anyone know of a website where you can listen to the songs of British Orthoptera?

Or failing that, is there a CD? (My little field guide, which isn't that old (1980s or 90s), mentions you can get a "gramophone record"!)

Any info appreciated

James

Hello James,

In answer to your query I just 'googled' 'Orthoptera sounds' I got 7,490 hits. There's a lot of info there, if you care to look.

Harry

Thanks Harry - as you say, there are a hugeumber of references to orthoptera calls on the net, but I haven't been able to find any comprehensive library of recordings.

There is an expensive CD...there seems to be a gap in the market...even if the market is small...

atb
James

That was the only one I could find too...not quite what I wanted as it only has the Cornish species and all recorded through a bat detector.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back