• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What Are The Ultimate Binoculars (5 Viewers)

Tim Allwood said:
Zeiss ClassiC dialyts 7 x 42
i currently have HG 8 x 32 like John and they are very good but i still love the ClassiCs

Tim

And, like Tim', I still love my 24 year old Zeiss BGats, but the close focussing is hopeless. The close focus on the reasonably (on offer) priced Nikons is ace.

Make sure you buy bins with the said close focus; I've lost count of the times, here and abroad, that I have had to walk away from birds in order to get them in focus....very frustrating, especially when everyone else is a couple of metres in front of you, but at the time of purchase they were the 'tops'.

John.

Last edited:
john barclay said:
And, like Tim', I still love my 24 year old Zeiss BGats, but the close focussing is hopeless. The close focus on the reasonably (on offer) priced Nikons is ace.

Make sure you buy bins with the said close focus; I've lost count of the times, here and abroad, that I have had to walk away from birds in order to get them in focus....very frustrating, especially when everyone else is a couple of metres in front of you, but at the time of purchase they were the 'tops'.

John.

Incredible! My 7x42 BGATP's are in focus from about 4 meters and you say you have to walk away with these bins in order to get your birds in focus, time and time again? I'm very seriously wondering what poor birds this could be, dead guillemots on the beach, domestic pigeons on the doorstep, pheasants lined up after the hunt? Besides, what kind of birdwatching is this? I can't recall my birding has ever been practised within 4 meters. And if someone/something would force me to it, I'm fairly certain I would quit.

Renze de Vries

I often watch birds in my backyard at distances of 3 meters or less. For me close focus is important. If 4 meters is close enough for some people, so be it. But it's not close enough for me.

Curtis Croulet said:
I often watch birds in my backyard at distances of 3 meters or less. For me close focus is important. If 4 meters is close enough for some people, so be it. But it's not close enough for me.

Your avatar, Curtis! Now I see. If there were hummingbirds in the Netherlands 4 meters not be enough for me as well!

Renze

Renze de Vries said:
Your avatar, Curtis! Now I see. If there were hummingbirds in the Netherlands 4 meters not be enough for me as well!

Renze

Stellula calliope, Calliope Hummingbird, photographed near Big Bear Lake, San Bernardino Co., California, 25 June 2005.

Renze de Vries said:
Incredible! My 7x42 BGATP's are in focus from about 4 meters and you say you have to walk away with these bins in order to get your birds in focus, time and time again?... I can't recall my birding has ever been practised within 4 meters. And if someone/something would force me to it, I'm fairly certain I would quit.Renze de Vries

Renze, don't say you would not want to go to the tropical rain forests if you had an opportunity. In those conditions, your only chance for some birds might be if you have them at two or three meters. Otherwise they are hidden too much in the dense vegetation.

Also, you are probably young enough for your eyes to do some of the focussing for you. That allows to stay closer than the normal range given in the specs.

I think people who use only one type of equipment from a manufacturer may miss the bigger picture when it comes to optical device manufacturers.

I use operating microscopes, loupes, binoculars and photographic lenses routinely. Only one company makes superlative optics in all those fields and that is Zeiss. I've used Leica operating microscopes, and Zeiss and it (the Zeiss) clearly eclipses all the others; same story with operating loupes - there just isn't a comparison with other makers.

For photography I use Canon, but that's mainly because of the camera preference - many people use adapters to use Zeiss lenses on Canon digital bodies with superlative results.

When you have a company that dominates high quality optics the way that Zeiss does, it's not unfair to say that if you went for a binocular from Zeiss then you would not be far off having the "best".

Others may disagree but I've used enough different Zeiss optical products to know for myself that they are the "best".

Regards.

zuiko said:
When you have a company that dominates high quality optics the way that Zeiss does, it's not unfair to say that if you went for a binocular from Zeiss then you would not be far off having the "best".

I've used Leica and Zeiss medical optics and agree, they are without peer. I've used some Leica camera lenses that rival Zeiss. But Zeiss binoculars over the past few years have been disappointing, with the FL's being the first new line in some time that wasn't a step backwards from previous models optically, ergonomically, or both. Strap lugs that dig into one's hands, toy-like Diafuns, excessive CA coming to mind.

I get the impression that Leica takes a more conservative approach to innovation, with each new model bringing an incremental, not dramatic, improvement. Zeiss, OTOH, seems to take a more outside-the-box path, making some radical changes in optics and body design, with some successes and some dogs. Hopefully, Zeiss' foray into inexpensive (relatively) consumer optics like the Diafun will not be repeated.

I have binoculars from both manufacturers, and find each individual model has its strengths and weaknesses. Binocular preference is as subjective as spouse preference, so try before you buy! ;)

Regards,
Paul

laservet said:
I've used Leica and Zeiss medical optics and agree, they are without peer. I've used some Leica camera lenses that rival Zeiss. But Zeiss binoculars over the past few years have been disappointing, with the FL's being the first new line in some time that wasn't a step backwards from previous models optically, ergonomically, or both. Strap lugs that dig into one's hands, toy-like Diafuns, excessive CA coming to mind.

I get the impression that Leica takes a more conservative approach to innovation, with each new model bringing an incremental, not dramatic, improvement. Zeiss, OTOH, seems to take a more outside-the-box path, making some radical changes in optics and body design, with some successes and some dogs. Hopefully, Zeiss' foray into inexpensive (relatively) consumer optics like the Diafun will not be repeated.

I have binoculars from both manufacturers, and find each individual model has its strengths and weaknesses. Binocular preference is as subjective as spouse preference, so try before you buy! ;)

Regards,
Paul

I agree with your "try before you buy" attitude (in ALL respects mentioned). But I don't think those original Victories were a step back. Sure they are not optimal (we own a Victory I), but they are excellent. We actually preferred them at the time we bought them over both the Trinovid BN and the EL. The only major problem, the excessive flare under certain light conditions became apparent only much later, however. But I don't think it would have led to an alternative selection.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back