• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What binocular with added feature(s) do you use? (2 Viewers)

Ted Y.

Forum member
Canada
Some binoculars have added features: UV coating, special not common types of coating, compass.
Some binoculars have rangefinder, but this is out of scope.
Some binoculars are premium and the premium quality is also out of scope.
What model(s) can you recommend?

GENERALLY....I don't like added features. When I think of "features" it is kind of synonymous with gimmick. Things like Field Pro, Trinovid HD harness-thing, Swarovski CL B silliness, etc. Just give me a quality binocular and a strap and I'll do the customizing.

Hi Ted,

While slightly intentionally misconstruing your question - features that are only found on some binoculars, that I find useful - are:
• an IPD scale;
• a focus distance scale, and;
• an integral tripod mounting point.

The first two were usual on older Porro prism binoculars, but are notably lacking on current roof prisms.
Though either could be easily and cheaply included on many designs.

Similarly most older Porro’s were easily mounted to a tripod by attaching a mounting clamp to the exposed axle.
With roof prisms, the superior mounting system is Swarovski’s TA-SLC, but it does require an integral mounting point on a binocular.
It can be used on both the original SLC’s (excepting the x30’s), and the all new SLC models from 2010 and on.

What astonishes me is that Swarovski didn’t then make the same provision for it on their EL/ EL SV, EL Range and NL lines.
Leica doesn’t make anything similar. And while Zeiss does make something similar, it’s for the Conquest, Terra and now SFL models,
but not their premium offerings.

For more, see the relatively recent discussion and images at: Nice things from old binoculars that most new ones don't have

John

Last edited:
Looking at my collection, I find binoculars with analog or digital compass (some also measuring angles, barometric pressure and temperature), binoculars with reticle, binoculars with laser filters, some with laser based range measurement, binoculars with variable magnification, binoculars with image stabilization, and binoculars that can be split into two monoculars, not to count the large ones with changeable eyepieces.

Some binoculars come with an option of rubber armor, like the Swarovski Habicht GA.
Then there are two premium binoculars that come with two magnifications: Leica Duovid 8-12x42 and 10-15x50.
Binoculars with night vision.

Last edited:
Filter threads. A simple feature to add, very useful in some situations, not just for protective filters but also for lens hoods, and yet exceedingly rare. IMO arguably the most useful additional feature.

AFAIK only the Canon 10x42 L IS of the more common binoculars has them.

Hermann

Steiner Discovery XP, both 8 and 10x44 have dioptre adjustment on each barrel. Not sure why, perhaps for left handed users?

Filter threads. A simple feature to add, very useful in some situations, not just for protective filters but also for lens hoods, and yet exceedingly rare. IMO arguably the most useful additional feature.

Hermann
Kowa Genesis x44 has filter threads, too. Filter threads and IPD scales should be standard.

Semi jokingly, this is my favourite work in progress binocular. Some day it will have a digital back in place of the 110 film camera box.

So the special feature, is camera.

B116DEB6-97D6-43D5-B453-BA163759B92E.jpeg

I think most of the Canon IS-binos have them.
My 18x50 does have them and I added lense hoods with extra snap-on covers.
e9jx9.jpg

Hermann
I agree enthusiastically!

This is a major grumble of mine.

A focus distance scale is useful for pre-setting the distance. It is not used to measure the distance, is not a rangefinder.

Fujinon Hyper-Clarity has filter threads, M46×0.75

Thermal imaging with Safran.

There is the 7x40 Glanz micro monocular with front focus, distance scale and 9.5 degree field.

The Barr and Stroud 7x50? has internal filter wheels.

Some older binoculars have turret eyepieces, either two or three options.

The 12x40/ 20x60 Komz? monocular has different front ends, a lousy bayonet that can split in use, and an optical window.

Some binoculars have clip on orange and red filters.

There was a 90 degree mirror attachment for surveillance to look in a completely different direction.

Folding monoculars. 8x21, 5x25 and 7x25.

Binoculars with radio.

Minox binoculars with altimeter accurate to 2ft.

Spectacle binoculars from Rodenstock and Beechers Mirage.

Periscope binoculars.

Binoculars with very wide objective spacing.

Pentax binoculars with variable objective spacing

Minolta binocular with variable spacing and tilting objectives. Not released for sale.

B.

Last edited:
A focus distance scale is useful for pre-setting the distance. It is not used to measure the distance, is not a rangefinder.

Wouldn't it be quicker just to focus instead of assessing distance, setting it, raising the binoculars to your eyes and then fine focussing?

I don't have any binoculars with added features, but I'd like to see an IPD scale on roof binos. I think it would be very helpful.

I liked the distance scale located on top of the focuser on the Minox HG binocular. I think that's a nice added feature.

Please not! Unlike a camera the binocular is an afocal device and the values would be all over the place depending on whether the user were near or far-sighted.
Not to mention meters vs feet. But Zeiss Porros had a focus wheel marked in diopters, which I thought was cool.

A calibrated scale for the diopter itself is useful. (though one can see why a manufacturer might choose not to do this)

Hermann
Now discontinued, the 42mm Zeiss HTs could take filters as covered in this thread:

Wouldn't it be quicker just to focus instead of assessing distance, setting it, raising the binoculars to your eyes and then fine focussing?

It would be one swift motion - check the scale, muscle memory “x” mm in whichever direction, all happening before the eyes even finished aligning.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back