• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What binocular with added feature(s) do you use? (1 Viewer)

The autofocus binocular is not really digital capture.
The binocular is all optical, it is just the focus is essentially perfect as per film cameras with autofocus.
The Minolta 8x23 AF also has minus 12 to plus 5 dioptre range.

I remember the electric focus binocular, possibly Kenko?

I have the Zeiss 30x60 spotter, but it is missing the electric focus base.
This had the option for slower focus if one used, I think, 3 AAS instead of 4 AAs.
My criticism of this scope is that it should go from 30x to 100x.

The Mirador 70mm has a 30x to 120x zoom with the option of any 1.25 inch eyepiece also, with 25x provided.
It is exceptionally good optically.

Both the scopes have mirror optics.

B.

Pretty much all electronic feature wishes can be instantly solved if a zoom camera/dslr was used.

Perhaps that is why I want my binos to be pure mechanical and life-long non-obsolescence items. Claims of “conventional bino has reached peak” are exactly why I like them - find the ones you like made in the past 200 years (most of mine happen to be made recently), and it may last another 200 years (small chance but certainly possible).

@kimmik
Agree 100% (even though I own a Canon IS). One reason I love my old binos from the 70s and older. If they lasted until now, they will probably outlast me. And they're not that hard to work on, if I wanna fix something myself. Also there are many that have the large FoV that I like.

@kimmik

@Binocollector

I agree with your sentiments on the basis of a hobby. I started with manual cameras in the 1970s and could still pull out kit to develop and print film.

However, like most, I have also taken to modern technology and use smartphones, digital calipers, translucent SLRs with autofocus lenses, Bluetooth car media connection, digital oscilloscope, etc.

I reckon this is similar to classic car ownership. Fun to use, quirky with lots of interesting features, can be worked on without a laptop and canbus, maintainable by many at home. I have a few classics myself.

However, for practical use, most utilise modern vehicles because of the "benefit / shortcomings" ratio

Last edited:
@kimmik

@Binocollector

I agree with your sentiments on the basis of a hobby. I started with manual cameras in the 1970s and could still pull out kit to develop and print film.

However, like most, I have also taken to modern technology and use smartphones, digital calipers, translucent SLRs with autofocus lenses, Bluetooth car media connection, digital oscilloscope, etc.

I reckon this is similar to classic car ownership. Fun to use, quirky with lots of interesting features, can be worked on without a laptop and canbus, maintainable by many at home. I have a few classics myself.

However, for practical use, most utilise modern vehicles because of the "benefit / shortcomings" ratio

If the modern vehicle you speak of requires no charging or refuelling, sign me up.

PS: i know why i dislike your posts now. you make very poor analogies and comparisons imo. i think i will stop responding.

Last edited:
Excellent, your input is unvalued anyway.....you seem challenged to grasp most technical concepts.
If the modern vehicle you speak of requires no charging or refuelling, sign me up.

PS: i know why i dislike your posts now. you make very poor analogies and comparisons imo. i think i will stop responding
exup and kimmic

Kindly stop sniping at each other.
If you don't, there will be consequences.

Lee

From their introduction in 1894, until around the end of WWI, Zeiss binoculars featured an IPD lock.
It used a notch and an adjustable pin to record a user’s preferred IPD setting
Who has tried one of these, classic or modern, and is it precise enough to be useful?
(incidentally one would expect an "outdoor professional" to know the difference between IPD and "eye relief")

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back