• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What binocular with added feature(s) do you use? (1 Viewer)

I don't know why autofocus was not pursued in binoculars.
I suggest the reason is that the value of this feature would be rejected by most purchasers........ just look at IS bins and the hostility expressed on BF, despite it being a massive improvement in most circumstances.

I suggest the reason is that the value of this feature would be rejected by most purchasers........ just look at IS bins and the hostility expressed on BF, despite it being a massive improvement in most circumstances.

autofocus… is… digital capture….

So basically my cameras.

The autofocus binocular is not really digital capture.
The binocular is all optical, it is just the focus is essentially perfect as per film cameras with autofocus.
The Minolta 8x23 AF also has minus 12 to plus 5 dioptre range.

I remember the electric focus binocular, possibly Kenko?

I have the Zeiss 30x60 spotter, but it is missing the electric focus base.
This had the option for slower focus if one used, I think, 3 AAS instead of 4 AAs.
My criticism of this scope is that it should go from 30x to 100x.

The Mirador 70mm has a 30x to 120x zoom with the option of any 1.25 inch eyepiece also, with 25x provided.
It is exceptionally good optically.

Both the scopes have mirror optics.

B.

But personal attacks on you have nothing to do with hostilities against IS binoculars, they are two different things.

Andreas
Hostile attacks on individuals or against opinions are not acceptable.

There is plenty of scope to start personal attacks on plenty on here. However, most refrain from such behaviour.

You seem to be a supporter of petty conflict and picking "fights", why?

You seem to be a supporter of petty conflict and picking "fights", why?
What is the purpose of this whataboutism?

You replied to a post that autofocus for binoculars doesn't make sense because many members of the BF are already hostile to IS binoculars.
You try to throw sand in the eyes.

Andreas

Is this not itself a backhanded attempt to pick a fight?

As I recall, the hostility developed before you moderated your position to state merely that IS binoculars were superior for your purposes, which seemed to resolve the problem. Did it somehow not, for you?
I can see I am being bated, and now by yourself too.

It seems that some individuals on here seem to like starting off topic trolling.
Believe me, I'd love to meet you face to face and having this conversation in person.
Unfortunately that can't happen,so, I'll ask you nicely to get lost.

Regarding IS bins and the better handheld performance, if you want to buy a milk bottle and look through it and try to justify the amazing view you perceive, it's your choice.

What is the purpose of this whataboutism?

You replied to a post that autofocus for binoculars doesn't make sense because many members of the BF are already hostile to IS binoculars.

You try to throw sand in the eyes.

Andreas
You and tenex...... I rest my case.

You can try to troll and pick a fight...... well, when you have something intelligent to contribute to the topic in hand, then I'll perhaps read it. Until then, goodbye and good riddance.

You can try to troll and pick a fight...... well, when you have something intelligent to contribute to the topic in hand, then I'll perhaps read it. Until then, goodbye and good riddance.
:sleep:

Andreas

Hopefully, getting back to binoculars . . .

An IPD Lock?

From their introduction in 1894, until around the end of WWI, Zeiss binoculars featured an IPD lock.
It used a notch and an adjustable pin to record a user’s preferred IPD setting:
• the binocular could than be folded and put in its case, and;
• when taken out and the two halves adjusted, the pin would click into the notch at the set IPD.

See an image from Anna and Terry Vacani’s always interesting website: Educational T.p2
Along with an image of it on a very early 4x11 unit (the 7th numbered prismatic binocular made by Zeiss!) at: http://www.historicacollectibles.co...pes/feldstecher-4x-c-zeiss-jena-drp-nr-7-1894

Zeiss IPD.jpg

I’ve also attached the instructions from an 1896 brochure.

- - -
Opticron recently offered a variation on the theme . . .

IPD Lock function on Opticron Traveller Mg

The Traveller’s mechanism enables a user to lock the IPD to the minimum that he or she will need i.e. at the closest focusing distance
(see Ceaser/ Bob at: Opticron 6x32 Traveller BGA Mg )

The binocular can then be:
  • folded out . . . to be put away in a case, and
  • when taken from a case, folded inward to the correct IPD for closest use

This makes sense in terms of convenience in casing and uncasing a binocular
However, for most uses it would seem preferable to be able to set one’s maximum needed IPD, and then to slightly close the IPD for nearer distances *

The Traveller’s mechanism necessarily functions as it does because of it’s simplicity
In contrast, the more complex mechanism used on the early Zeiss Porro’s, had the advantage of being able to be set to one’s generally preferred IPD,
and then be adjusted to either a lesser or greater IPD
. . .

* and of course the mechanism used on the Traveller could be instead made to do this, but with the loss of the ability to fold the binocular flat for storage

And see the translated text from Alex’s article at: https://www.outdoor-professionell.de/test-opticron-traveller-fernglas-bga-mg-6x32-8x32/

Opticron .jpg

- - - -
Finally, a less sophisticated 'IPD clamp' was a feature on the Weaver Super Slam of 2009.
It allowed a user to optionally lock the set IPD by tightening a screw.
See at: Weaver Super Slam - an Interesting Oddity?

Weaver GS.jpg

John

Attachments

• Zeiss 1896.jpg
    Zeiss 1896.jpg
    391 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Thanks John, my wife is always complaining about the stiff hinge resulting in problems to get the right IPD of my Leica UV 8x32 and therefore she prefers the Habicht 8x30 for that reason alone. The Habicht is more easy for her, the fact that it doesn’t have a focuser doesn’t matter for her…

Exup and Condomat.

You both seem over-sensitive at the moment and even a little bad-tempered.
Kindly calm down.
I have said this a hundred times: on the internet we are without all of the normal clues that indicate a person's mood, attitude and intention. We lack facial expression, tone of voice and body language. Words can be misinterpreted. Kindly assume fellow members have the best of motives because for the vast majority of the time, this is truly the case.

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back