• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What's this shrike? (1 Viewer)

Dominic

Hi,

I found this shrike in Israel (21st October, 2007). I put it down to Steppe Grey Shrike (L. pallidirostris) but there's some controversy over id. Unfortunately I didn't manage to get any shots of its back or wings (large white wing patch) or note any details of primary projection. Next time . . . .

I thought Steppe grey due to paler lores, bill colour and shape, pale forehead.

all suggestions welcome!

cheers,

Dominic

Attachments

• steppe grey shrike.JPG
    steppe grey shrike.JPG
    31.3 KB · Views: 173
  • steppe grey shrike 4.JPG
    steppe grey shrike 4.JPG
    28.1 KB · Views: 150
Dominic - I agree with your initial thoughts. Appears to be a Southern Grey Shrike, probably a pallidirostis - Steppe Shrike

Last edited:
For what its worth I think it's 1st winter Lesser Grey from what can be seen from the photographs. It does appear to have a long primary projection and stout bill. However, as Dominic has pointed out, we can't see all the bird! 1st winter pallidirostris would have pale lores but I'm still concerned by that primary projection......................

I don't think it is a Lesser Grey Shrike, but rather a 'pallidrostris' Steppe Grey Shrike for a number of reasons

1) It does have pale lores as far as i can see

2) The bill seems too chunky and too pale for Lesser

3) Personally can't see anything from the photos that suggests it has long primary projection

4) Seems very long tailed, better for Steppe Grey Shrike

5) Seems to have a large white wing patch in photos

6) Appears to show white between mantle and coverts.

Just my two-penneth

Sean

I agree completely with Sean, and want to add that pallidirostris has a longer primary projection than the other species of the Great Grey Shrike group:

http://www.tarsiger.com/images/komi/lan_pal_001_0219.jpg

The PP isn't that visible in the photo, but too me it doesn't look at all bad for Steppe. Edit: I don't know that much about the other Great Grey Shrike taxons in the area, but at least the bird doesn't look like a Lesser Grey Shrike...

Last edited:
Thanks for all the comments. Very useful indeed. It's not an easy one is it?

The difficulty in getting good pics was that it either stayed quite deep in the shrub or flew quickly to c. 100 m away (before returning equally quickly to the shrub).

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back