• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What's your very favorite Roof and Porro Prism? (3 Viewers)

...what are your favorite birding binoculars in the roof prism design and the porro-prism design without regard to price? Based on optics, weight,ergonomics, build quality, and included accessories(Case,Strap,rainguard and objective covers)...

I thought I might break down and post a simple answer, but then I read the question again and realized I really don't have a ready answer because I'm flummoxed by having to figure out how to figure in considerations such as such as weight and included accessories. I own a bunch of binos but generally use only a few as my workhorses, the selection of the day generally determined by the largest size that is practical to carry given everthing else I might be doing.

For dedicated birding when size/weight are of little concern, I prefer the Swarovski 8.5x42 EL (I like big exit pupils for forgiveness with eye placement). However, I use an Op/Tech neoprene strap and a B&L Elite faux-leather case with it, and I don't use the yucky hard plastic rainguard.

For birding and butterflying, or dedicated birding when size/weight are a concern, I prefer the Zeiss 8x32 FL. However, I use an Eagle Optics neoprene strap and a Leica 8x32 BN leather case with it. I do use the Zeiss FL rainguard, but I've used a sharp blade to modify it to mimic the Leica BA/BN rainguard design. I'm not a big fan of the 8x32 FL ergonomics, so when weight but not size is a concern, I use the Swarovski 8x32 EL instead. I use an Op/Tech strap with that one and keep it in the Zeiss 8x32 FL case.

For birding and butterflying, or opportunistic observation in the course of other activities such as outdoor photography, I prefer the Leica 8x20 Ultravid BL. I do use the supplied necktrap (though I pass the ends through the bino eyelets and then knot the ends so they can't slip back through rather than using the ridiculous little buckles, they adding needless complication, being prone to slippage over time, and possibly scratching the housing or optics when the binos are tucked into a pocket), and I use the leather clamshell case too. I can't remember if they came with any covers, but if they did, I certainly don't use them.

So....for the final roof-prism reckoning, weight and size turn out to be very important but entirely context sensitive. All else being equal, I prefer big binos to small ones, but once I've committed to a "size" of bino, I'm generally satisfied with the optics that the above models offer, so that's a contextual wash in the overall equation too. Therefore, as I see it, the grand winner, because I consider its ergonomics and build quality second to none and (mainly) due to the fact that I actually use its supplied accessories, is...

the Leica 8x20 Ultravid BL ! :)

--AP

PS Oops! almost forgot the porros. I don't like the straps, cases, eyecups etc provided with any porro I've ever seen, so those factors are out. I'd say it's a tie between the Nikon 8x32 SE and Nikon 8x30 EII depending on whether eye-relief and build or gee-whiz wide view are more important.

For dedicated birding when size/weight are of little concern, I prefer the Swarovski 8.5x42 EL (I like big exit pupils for forgiveness with eye placement). However, I use an Op/Tech neoprene strap and a B&L Elite faux-leather case with it, and I don't use the yucky hard plastic rainguard.
Ditto on the adjustments to Swaro EL 8.5x42. My general favourite too, but I also use a neoprene strap, and a case plus soft rubber rainguard cannibalised from a cheap pair of Bressers. But in 8x I´ve used other top bins like SE´s and EII´s and even though they might be slightly superior in some respects, overall the Swaro EL´s give me the best combination, and to my eyes the most comfortable, relaxed view.

roof: Swaro 8.5x42 EL - I've been through a fair few top end roof but these have stuck, the image and handling work well for me.

Porro: Nikon 8x30 EII - I prefer these to the SEs, not that I own a pair but I do have a pair of 8x30 E.

Ditto on the adjustments to Swaro EL 8.5x42. My general favourite too, but I also use a neoprene strap, and a case plus soft rubber rainguard cannibalised from a cheap pair of Bressers. But in 8x I´ve used other top bins like SE´s and EII´s and even though they might be slightly superior in some respects, overall the Swaro EL´s give me the best combination, and to my eyes the most comfortable, relaxed view.

Another birdwatching hedonist. I just knew it. B :)

Of all the bincoulars you have experienced what are your favorite birding binoculars in the roof prism design and the porro-prism design without regard to price? Based on optics, weight,ergonomics, build quality, and included accessories(Case,Strap,rainguard and objective covers). Now if you haven't tried the top alpha binoculars for whatever reason we still would like your opinion on the binoculars you have had but state that you haven't tried the top alphas.

Disclaimer:
I have not tried/used an "Alpha" glass made since the mid-1990's.
That said:

Porro: Nikon 8x32 SE
Roof: Zeiss 7x42 BGATP

Criteria: purely on optics, & ease of view.

Best on fit, feel, build (not optics):

Porro; Swift Audubon 8.5x44 HR/5 (1980's non-armoured)
Roof: Leica 10x42 BA.

Last edited:
Hello all,

Porro: Nikon 8x30 EII, which I found far friendlier than the 8x32 SE.

Roof: Zeiss 8x32 FL. with the 7x42 Dialyt close behind. The latter is peculiar because it is rather like a Porro with its slight stereo effect and moving bridge.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

I agree with the Zeiss FL 8x32. I recently acquired a pair and man they are really fantastic for roofs. Not quite as sharp as my Nikon 8x32 SE's but probably the most perfect roofs in every way I have seen. Just a fantastic view. The case, strap, rain covers and tethered objective covers are just all perfect and I really like the material they are made of and the lightness of them. Really nice eyecups too.

Dennis

Hi,
IMH(and humble)O:

1) The best in the Porro prisms design is Nikon Superior Edition 8x32

2) The best in the roof prisms design are Zeiss FL 7x42 = Swarovski EL 8,5x42 = Leica Ultravid HD 10x50.

Regards to all binholic of BF,
Alessandro.

everything else feels stupid after i got my zen2. I got so much else to spend $1500 on, for little or negative increased performance. So the zen as roof. And no porros, i dont use them, in any format. Got roof compact, roof full.

1. Roof - 6x32 vortex viper.
2. Dont use a Porro anymore . Instead I use my Zen 7x36 ED2, for me its better than any Porro I have tried for its size.

In the best/worst of all possible worlds:

Roof: (tie) Leica 7.5x37 BS HD (anticipated late 2010)
Swaro 8x36 EL II (anticipated early 2011)
(runner up: Zeiss 8x40 FL2)

Porro: Nikon 8x34 XSE II (anticipated by end of 2011)
NOTE: twist/adjustable eyecups, internal focus

These will be the best bins to ever be made, but will also be the most expensive. The loss of market share to the Chinese EDs will push them all four out of the binocular market. From that point on, quality will diminish while prices gradually rise. Our only hope is Meopta, who may stay under the radar and offer the best product_still under production_by 2014. The few Alphas sold in 2011-12 will become impossible to find, highly coveted collector's pieces, rarely seeing field use for fear of damage/theft.

In the best/worst of all possible worlds:

Roof: (tie) Leica 7.5x37 BS HD (anticipated late 2010)
Swaro 8x36 EL II (anticipated early 2011)
(runner up: Zeiss 8x40 FL2)

Porro: Nikon 8x34 XSE II (anticipated by end of 2011)
NOTE: twist/adjustable eyecups, internal focus

These will be the best bins to ever be made, but will also be the most expensive. The loss of market share to the Chinese EDs will push them all four out of the binocular market. From that point on, quality will diminish while prices gradually rise. Our only hope is Meopta, who may stay under the radar and offer the best product_still under production_by 2014. The few Alphas sold in 2011-12 will become impossible to find, highly coveted collector's pieces, rarely seeing field use for fear of damage/theft.

:clap:

The 8x32 SE has been praised as the best porro for many,and It is an increidible bino,Both in the scientific and science-fiction versions...But let me put a word for the Custom Elite 7x26 as one of the best porros out there ,if size/performance ratio are to be taken into consideration...now the Sci-FI version, Waterproof,wider angle ,few ergo-mechanical (minor) twiks and ,Why not,28mm aperture,can be considered as a contender for overall the best!!

Last edited:
Porro non-waterproof: Nikon 10x42 SE (just found 2 more pairs at other bankruptcies, oddly one is $425 with shipping, the other is $595 with shipping, demos not sure about box and papers). Honorable mention to Nikon 8x30 EIIs and Celestron 6.5x44 EDs.

Porro Waterproof: Fujinon 6x30 FMTR IF they are tiny, yet sharp and to watch bird mating rituals just great.

Zeiss 8x32 FL are my fave roofers, although for kids the 8x30 Diafun is great. The 10x42 HD Leupolds get honorable mention.

Porro non-waterproof: Nikon 10x42 SE (just found 2 more pairs at other bankruptcies, oddly one is $425 with shipping, the other is $595 with shipping, demos not sure about box and papers). Honorable mention to Nikon 8x30 EIIs and Celestron 6.5x44 EDs.

Porro Waterproof: Fujinon 6x30 FMTR IF they are tiny, yet sharp and to watch bird mating rituals just great.

Zeiss 8x32 FL are my fave roofers, although for kids the 8x30 Diafun is great. The 10x42 HD Leupolds get honorable mention.

Another vote for the Zeiss 8x32 FL and a vote for Nikon SE's. I totally agree. That Zeiss 8x32 FL has got to be the best all around birders binocular you can buy. I can'twait to what a Scarlett Macaw looks like perched up in the canopy with those babies!

Dennis

Ya know, Mayo, I've been agitatin' for 7x28 Elite Custom, 8* fov, sealed objective ends (ala Canon IS) with 15-6mm er for a while.....that would be nearly the perfect all-around, have-it-with-you-all-the-time glass. May not fit the bill for shorebirds or hawks/eagles (but if you're gonna do that, you're gonna take the 10x50's and/or the scope anyway), but the best bino is the one ya have with u, n' cest pas?

Now then, this fave business....the whole SE line, each for their respective purpose, for porros (and will add that if the Swift 820 had about 4mm more er, it'd be right there with them). Roofs, I guess the 2 I have left (after peddling Pentax SP, Swift HHS and B&L Discoverer), Zeiss FL's, 7 & 10x. I should add a good word for the new 10x43 Elite....had a chance to give one a pretty good audition at Black Mesa over Labor Day wkend (our group met up with a bird group from Amarillo, one of those gals had a brand new one just purch B4 the trip) and was highly impressed. But since I'm trying to "stay on the wagon" and don't own one, I guess I can't count it. (But am doing better about being a "hoarder",....have sold 3 since July, and have another on ebay right now that has bids, so that'll put me down to 7.....it's hard).

O

The Weems & Plath "Apache" is a military version of a 7 x 28 Roof Prism. It has IF and a reticle. There are other brands around that are center focus and rather cheap. Just google 7 x 28 binocular to see them. Pentax makes a 9 x 28 which they probably could also make into a 7x by changing the eyepieces.
Bob

Last edited:
Porro = Zeiss Jena 8x50BGA Octarem, or Swift 10x50 Kestrel (more portable),
Roof = Hawke Frontier 8x43ED, or Zeiss 8x30 Conquest (more portable),
or Pentax 8x36HS (best ergonomics).
Can't afford £1,000+ Alphas, but £650 Meopta 7x42 very impressive at Bird Fair.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back