• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What's your very favorite Roof and Porro Prism? (1 Viewer)

Is the Williams Optics better than the Nikon 8x32 SE?

Dennis

Dennis, I differ from the norm in that for some reason I have never been able to master the 8x binos, other than my tiny 8x20 trinovid. I have never used a Nikon 8x32 SE and cannot comment on the difference, but I'm sure (from all the BF reports and commentary elsewhere) that the Nikon would be hard to beat. I'm more of a 7x and a 10x sort of a guy and got used to using the large 7x50 WO even for birding but with obvious difficulties.

Due to the bulk of the WO, when on a hike, I purchased a Zen Ray E2 7x36. I would love a 7x42 ultravid, but that's way out of my budget at the moment. My experience with the two binos may shock some people , because, although I love the lighter weight of the ZR, I prefer the crystal clear, bright and true to nature views of the WO 7x50 ED. It's a bulky unit demanding a harness at all times, but to my eyes, the views are perfect, and easier to hold still. The extra exercise my biceps get from using the WO, translates into being able to hold the 10x42 steadier. I'm actually thinking of selling the ZR. Had I never came across the WO, I would definately keep the ZR as it is outstanding for the money. Sorry for diverging.

Wal.

Roof:If I could afford one - Swaro 8x32 EL. I would have said the 7x42 SLC I had until recently, but eventually the weight "outweighed" the sublime view and I took to using the lovely little Opticron 8x32 BGA SEs I have, more often than not. So the SLCs went to make way for......

Porros: Nikon 8x30 EII (a "value for money" honourable mention goes to the Yosemite 6x30 I bought new from the good old USA for £36 inc postage from a well known auction site!)

Paul

Favorite Roof: Zeiss 7x42 FL
- Honorable Mention: Meopta 8x42 and 8x32, Zen Ray 8x43 ED II

Favorite Porro: Undecided

Well, Frank, you better decide on a favorite porro very soon. We are now feeling the aftermath of an Optics Chicxulub Event, and premium porros are going the way of the dinosaur.

Since Frank expanded this thread with his "Honorable Mentions," I'd like to expand it a bit too, particularly so Kevin doesn't fall asleep again and end up with keyboard marks imprinted in his smooth human skull, by making two categories for each type of bin: midsized and full sized.

Midsized Porro: Nikon 8x30 EII
It seems like everybody's jumping on the 8x32 SE bandwagon, and Frank's former 505 SE is pretty darn close to perfection, I'll admit, but since we only have one slot to fill, I'm going to be an iconoclast and go with the 8x30 EII, because it delivers the same level of performance as the SE, but with a larger FOV. Add Bushwackers if you have trouble holding these "short and stout" bins.

Full Sized Porro: 804 Audubon FMC.
The Bigger Me version of the 8x30 EII. WF, super sharp - on par with 10x42 SE, and brighter than the EII for cloudy days. The edge performance is not as good as the EII, but you'd have to move up to an alpha or über second tier roof (LX/Meopta) to get this level of optical performance in a full sized bin. The saying, "they don't make 'em like they used to" applies to all the Chinese-made full sized porros and even the Jap. made 820 Audubon.

Midsized Roof: Nikon 8x32 LX.
Best contrast and color depth I've seen in a bin. Smoothest and most precise focuser I've tried (good sample). WARNING: Not built for Klingon-sized hands.

Full Sized Roof: Nikon 10x42 EDG.
Blown away, what more can I say? except to ask Nikon to make them in China so I can afford one, and send Japanese QC experts over there to make sure they are made right. Finally, a roof that fits my "freakishly large" hands. Famous Nikon SE view in a roof, with an extra 1/2* FOV. Wait for the "new and improved" version with the fixed focuser cap (loose on first production run).

Last edited:
Hi Brock

Well got the first two on your goody list and couldnt agree more
Come to think of it i also thought the LX (older one ) was a bit heavy ended but brilliant optically and the focusser on the one i tried all day in UK was sublime
As for EDG just a bit to many UK quids but you never know
Honourable mention for Bushnell Discoverer 8 x 42 roof

Regards
RichT

Changed my mind. My fave porros are Nikon EII 8x30. For the moment. I used to dislike their stubbiness, but now I see it as compactness. (If you can´t change the binos, change yourself.....)

Before you go sawing off your pinky fingers so you can hold the bin steadier, buy a pair of Bushwacker #5s to extend the barrels.

That will give you support for your pinkies and the end of your palms, which will make your grip more comfortable and the images steadier.

Place the Bushwackers on the stubby barrels so that the caps fold inward toward the center of the bin so they won't get in your way.

After you do this, put on some Sly and sing:

I want to thank you falettinme
Be mice elf agin

Thank you falettinme
Be mice elf agin

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back