• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Where to find Owls in Rutland (1 Viewer)

I suppose so. But I would be very glad if anyone did have any Rutland haunts preferably near Empingham, Ketton, Exton, Edith Weston, North Luffenham or Barrowden area.

I suppose so. But I would be very glad if anyone did have any Rutland haunts preferably near Empingham, Ketton, Exton, Edith Weston, North Luffenham or Barrowden area.
Tawny Owl is regularly reported in Empingham by someone on eBird. There is a well-known Little Owl spot in Edith Weston village - photos on display in the village shop.
SEO and LEO sites unfortunately tend to be suppressed due to the possibilities of disturbance.

Thanks, Steve.
But, just for the record, do you know anywhere where I can see an SEO or LEO in Rutland (don't have to tell me the site).

James, for context, there has been a very persistent person who has created multiple accounts on this site in order to glean information on various sensitive/scarce/rare/schedule 1 species over the years, and John is alluding that any new member asking for such information in their first post is just another identity created by the same person. If that is not the case, then perhaps an apology is due - the forum is generally a welcome and friendly place, with most members happy to help out with information - though it is likely that John's comment was in jest and no offence was intended.

There is (quite correctly IMO) a reluctance to provide any information relating to sensitive species on a public forum, as in recent times the rise of "all the gear, no idea" toggers, and other enthusiastic year listing birders has resulted in some well documented cases of winter roosts being disturbed, and therefore even the suggestion that these species may be present at a county level (particularly LEO) is generally suppressed.

The best advice I can give (I do not know Rutland area whatsoever) is to scan through historic bird reports for locations where your target species have been previously recorded, cross reference the habitat within these geographic areas, and check them out in person.
SEO have a preference for areas of rough grassland with scattered scrub/trees for roosting, though they will also use set aside in arable areas if there isn't any suitable ruderal habitat available.
LEO have a preference for scrub/hedges in close proximity to water features, so a mature hawthorn hedge abutting a wet ditch or stream is a good starting point.

If you are successful, it is perhaps wise to conform to the status quo; keep the information to yourself, and notify the relevant county recorder towards the end of the season.

Hope this helps!

James, for context, there has been a very persistent person who has created multiple accounts on this site in order to glean information on various sensitive/scarce/rare/schedule 1 species over the years, and John is alluding that any new member asking for such information in their first post is just another identity created by the same person. If that is not the case, then perhaps an apology is due - the forum is generally a welcome and friendly place, with most members happy to help out with information - though it is likely that John's comment was in jest and no offence was intended.

There is (quite correctly IMO) a reluctance to provide any information relating to sensitive species on a public forum, as in recent times the rise of "all the gear, no idea" toggers, and other enthusiastic year listing birders has resulted in some well documented cases of winter roosts being disturbed, and therefore even the suggestion that these species may be present at a county level (particularly LEO) is generally suppressed.

The best advice I can give (I do not know Rutland area whatsoever) is to scan through historic bird reports for locations where your target species have been previously recorded, cross reference the habitat within these geographic areas, and check them out in person.
SEO have a preference for areas of rough grassland with scattered scrub/trees for roosting, though they will also use set aside in arable areas if there isn't any suitable ruderal habitat available.
LEO have a preference for scrub/hedges in close proximity to water features, so a mature hawthorn hedge abutting a wet ditch or stream is a good starting point.

If you are successful, it is perhaps wise to conform to the status quo; keep the information to yourself, and notify the relevant county recorder towards the end of the season.

Hope this helps!
Thanks. just to clarify John, I'm not gleb.

Is this Gleb a hunter or something?
No, he was continually probing for information on sites, particularly birds of prey, owls and Schedule 1 breeding birds with the emphasis on obtaining close images, hence the background to Steve's comments. Also quite lengthy and uncomfortable debate on the RSPB and Eagle Owls in the UK. I think he was in the Cambridge area at the time though travelled around. Eventually his membership was closed but several attempts were made to rejoin under different usernames. Best left in the archives.

Last edited:
Tawny Owl is regularly reported in Empingham by someone on eBird. There is a well-known Little Owl spot in Edith Weston village - photos on display in the village shop.
SEO and LEO sites unfortunately tend to be suppressed due to the possibilities of disturbance.
The tawny Owl is in someones garden. I have heard of the Edith Weston Little Owl spot before and have been to it a couple of times, but I've never seen it. Could you give me instructions as to where to find it?

I'd love to see a little owl. That is one of my birding goals just to come across one one day. I don't think it will ever happen, Just like I would love to see an osprey I would need to get off my bum and ditch my best friend for a day but I can't bring myself to do that. Good luck James in finding a little owl.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back