• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which Power/mm Ultravid HD Plus? (2 Viewers)

I'm just glad the days of lead based glass are past. It was as recently as 1993 - 2000 that Zeiss offered a as-good-as-you-could-get line of "night owls" that ran right up to 52 oz. And they were $1,700 in 1993 (about $2,800 today).

I had actually considered the 8X/12X or 10X/15X Duovids, but it is my understanding that their optics are the same coatings as the original Ultravids and that they received neither the HD or HD Plus updates.

Last edited:
I'm just glad the days of lead based glass are past. It was as recently as 1993 - 2000 that Zeiss offered a as-good-as-you-could-get line of "night owls" that ran right up to 52 oz. And they were $1,700 in 1993 (about $2,800 today).

Amen to that brother. But it wasn't just the change to unleaded glass that shifted the weight, in 2003 Zeiss introduced what they called the Advanced Optical System in the very first Victory models and as far as I can see this meant much thinner lenses, and another reduction in weight.

Probably most other brands also now use thinner lens profiles than in the past too.

Lee

i am a Very Happy owner of Leica 10x50mm hd plus.

I can tell that 50mm binoculars are a little bit heavy of course but when you use it for a while you don't notice this extra weight to much.

The 50mm delivers to you much more brightness and punch into the view than a 42mm binocular and the view looks easier and bigger too.

Also this model has lower CA than the 42mm version and a FOV of 115 mts very close to the SF with his 120 mts of FOV.

If anyone is interested try it, you will notice immediately that is an awesome binocular.

i am a Very Happy owner of Leica 10x50mm hd plus. The 50mm delivers to you much more brightness and punch into the view than a 42mm binocular and the view looks easier and bigger too.
Also this model has lower CA than the 42mm version and a FOV of 115 mts very close to the SF with his 120 mts of FOV. If anyone is interested try it, you will notice immediately that is an awesome binocular.

Very glad to hear it. My own 10X50 HD Plus are due early next week. I have been so satisfied with my other two pair of Ultravids, I really look forward to the 10X50's.

i am a Very Happy owner of Leica 10x50mm hd plus.

I can tell that 50mm binoculars are a little bit heavy of course but when you use it for a while you don't notice this extra weight to much.

The 50mm delivers to you much more brightness and punch into the view than a 42mm binocular and the view looks easier and bigger too.

Also this model has lower CA than the 42mm version and a FOV of 115 mts very close to the SF with his 120 mts of FOV.

If anyone is interested try it, you will notice immediately that is an awesome binocular.

I have read your review of 10x50 SV vs UVHD+. When comparing the 10x42 bins Leica's compactness is a huge differentiating factor if you are looking for a superbly built compact bin like I did.

UV 10x42 - 5.79 x 4.75 x 2.63 in inches - 26.5oz
SV 10x42 - 6.3 x 5.2 x 2.4 in inches - 29.6oz

In the 10x50 range Leica's compactness advantage is lost.
UV 10x50 - 7.01 x 4.92 x 2.76 in inche - 35.2oz
SV 10x50 - 6.8 x 5.2 x 2.6 in inches -35 oz

If I was looking for a 10x50 bin SV would be a better option. Longer, bulkier and awkward looking 10x50 doesn't look good in Leica black armor. Looks like a chubby guy in black leotard :-O

Of course, if you're priority is compactness then a 10x50 is probably not the first choice.
Interestingly there is very little difference in size between the Geovid HD-B 10x42 and the EL 10x50. The EL outperforms it clearly, except that it has no rangefinder...
Neither are 'huge' but certainly bigger than some other binocular options.
As to choosing the EL rather than HD+ because one looks better, there are many more factors to consider. My EL is a great performer, but the rolling ball has always had me considering an SLC x56...

As Albino's puts it, "The result, achieved by the Leica Ultravid 10x50 HD speaks for itself. It places the binoculars on the leading position of our 10x50 models ranking . . . the description of a set of binoculars which won the ranking with over 30 tested models."

allbinos haven't tested the 10x50 Swaro or any other alpha 10x50 roof
also several 10x42:s get higher scores than the leica 10x50 HD

Last edited:
The SV 10X50 is a superb bin of course but the Leica 10x50 plus has HT glass and like in the HT Zeiss bins the view sparkle...is so so vivid...

The perceived 3D is better than on SV and the view is superb sharp.

I own the SV 10X42 and daytime side by side the view thru the Leicas is more alive.

Allbinos did test the Alpha Ultravids HD 10x50 in January 2010, of course that is well prior to the Plus of 2014
allbinos haven't tested the 10x50 Swaro or any other alpha 10x50 roof
also several 10x42:s get higher scores than the leica 10x50 HD

I understand that statement but it needs context to really tell the story.

Both the Leica Ultravid HD's in 10x50 and 10x42 out scored the Swarovski EL WB 10x42 in May of 2010 when these were compared by Albinos and they were then representing the respective companys' top Alpha glass in their resective categories. (Swarovski 10X50 have never been tested by Albinos).

Subsequently Swarovsky released their updated 10x42 EL Swarovision which out scored everyone but the EDG's. But we do not have any Allbinos' reviews on Leica's latest generation 2014 updated HD Plus. The only direct Allbino's comparison we have is 2010, between the two company's 10x42 Alpha's and Leica won; and, Leica's 10x50's that same year scoring even higher than either 10x42. http://www.allbinos.com/allbinos_ranking-binoculars_ranking-10x42.html

So at this point a direct comparison from Albino's of the most current top shelf 10 powers are speculative and pending an HD Plus test, as well as tests on the latest generation Zeiss HT and SF for that matter. For a very recent alpha shootout (December 1, 2015) with all the company's latest stuff in 8x see http://www.greatestbinoculars.com/allpages/reviews/shootouts/shootoutpremier8x42s/8x42shootout.html. And while that extensive comparison was seemingly more subjective than the Albino's scoring system; it is worth noting that this was a comparison of apples to apples, the latest and greatest from Leica, Swarovski, Zeiss (HT and SF), and Nikon; and Leica came out on top. That is merely one review but notable, and I would imagine I could be perfectly happy with five of the six binoculars reviewed.

Last edited:
Allbinos did test the Alpha Ultravids HD 10x50 in January 2010, of course that is well prior to the Plus of 2014

I understand that statement but it needs context to really tell the story.

Both the Leica Ultravid HD's in 10x50 and 10x42 out scored the Swarovski EL WB 10x42 in May of 2010 when these were compared by Albinos and they were then representing the respective companys' top Alpha glass in their resective categories. (Swarovski 10X50 have never been tested by Albinos).

Subsequently Swarovsky released their updated 10x42 EL Swarovision which out scored everyone but the EDG's. But we do not have any Allbinos' reviews on Leica's latest generation 2014 updated HD Plus. The only direct Allbino's comparison we have is 2010, between the two company's 10x42 Alpha's and Leica won; and, Leica's 10x50's that same year scoring even higher than either 10x42. http://www.allbinos.com/allbinos_ranking-binoculars_ranking-10x42.html

So at this point a direct comparison from Albino's of the most current top shelf 10 powers are speculative and pending an HD Plus test, as well as tests on the latest generation Zeiss HT and SF for that matter. For a very recent alpha shootout (December 1, 2015) with all the company's latest stuff in 8x see http://www.greatestbinoculars.com/allpages/reviews/shootouts/shootoutpremier8x42s/8x42shootout.html. And while that extensive comparison was seemingly more subjective than the Albino's scoring system; it is worth noting that this was a comparison of apples to apples, the latest and greatest from Leica, Swarovski, Zeiss (HT and SF), and Nikon; and Leica came out on top. That is merely one review but notable, and I would imagine I could be perfectly happy with five of the six binoculars reviewed.

A pretty good review of the SF, SV, and UV HD + is at the site below:

http://www.birdwatching.com/optics/2015_titans/review.html

They seem to be birders and writers about birding that sell/review optics too. They usually give a pretty good perspective about various optics. Comparing what I have and the reviews they have written, I can't disagree too much with their reviews.

Let's consider their review of those three binoculars. On THEIR review 0.56 points separated the highest and lowest scoring 8X42 binocular, 0.47 separated the 10X42s. This, the observations of others here on BF, as well as my OWN observations leads me to believe the obvious....very little difference between those three....maybe even INSIGNIFICANT difference. When this is the case, it's all personal preference and I think that's the case when considering the top four or five or so binocular models.

I think your purchase of the 10X50 UV HD + looks to be a solid purchase. I like the fact that the 10x50 has more FOV than the 42mm. Also...they do weigh a little more than the 42s but I don't think enough to be a problem. I carried the 12X50 SV last week, similar weight, and had no issues. I kinda want to look thru your 10X50...but sorta afraid of where that could lead.

A pretty good review of the SF, SV, and UV HD + is at the site below:

http://www.birdwatching.com/optics/2015_titans/review.html

Let's consider their review of those three binoculars. On THEIR review 0.56 points separated the highest and lowest scoring 8X42 binocular, 0.47 separated the 10X42s. This, the observations of others here on BF, as well as my OWN observations leads me to believe the obvious....very little difference between those three....maybe even INSIGNIFICANT difference. When this is the case, it's all personal preference and I think that's the case when considering the top four or five or so binocular models.

Quite right. In the birdwatching.com review UVHD+ and SV have points deducted for Thumb indents and focus knob placement. Boo hoo! Highly debatable and I don't agree with that one bit. Other than that SF and SV have identical scores. Leica got a 9/10 for edge sharpness.

and I would imagine I could be perfectly happy with five of the six binoculars reviewed.

This, the observations of others here on BF, as well as my OWN observations leads me to believe the obvious....very little difference between those three....maybe even INSIGNIFICANT difference. When this is the case, it's all personal preference and I think that's the case when considering the top four or five or so binocular models.

Well said.

I kinda want to look thru your 10X50...but sorta afraid of where that could lead.

They're due for delivery tomorrow, - you're welcome to.

Leica Ultravid HD Plus 10X50's arrived. Image went well beyond my expectations. In spite of all the internet images, size of the 10x50's was a little larger than expected. Additional weight over 8x42's unnoticeable really. Easier to hold steady than I imagined.

That's one big a$$ pair of binoculars! ;)

Looking good! :t:

I know right! Next time our paths cross Chuck I think the image is going to knock your socks off.

Ordered a Pelican 1450 today that can hopefully serve as a single car-trunk case for both (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/75512-REG/Pelican_1450_000_110_1450_Case_with_Foam.html)

Congratulation for your new Bin !!!!!
Amazing sharp, contrasty, cristal clear and big view isn't it ?
Waiting for your review.

Really amazing. I don't know what I'd add to what you said.

Attachments

• 10X50.jpg
    10X50.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 58
  • 7X42.jpg
    7X42.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_1923.jpg
    IMG_1923.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_1921.jpg
    IMG_1921.jpg
    213 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:
Leica Ultravid HD Plus 10X50's arrived. Image went well beyond my expectations. In spite of all the internet images, size of the 10x50's was a little larger than expected. Additional weight over 8x42's unnoticeable really. Easier to hold steady than I imagined.

That's one big a$$ pair of binoculars! ;)

Looking good! :t:

I know right! Next time our paths cross Chuck I think the image is going to knock your socks off.

Ordered a Pelican 1450 today that can hopefully serve as a single car-trunk case for both (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/75512-REG/Pelican_1450_000_110_1450_Case_with_Foam.html)

Congratulation for your new Bin !!!!!

Amazing sharp, contrasty, cristal clear and big view isn't it ?

Waiting for your review.

Dear all,
I published a test of the Leica 7x42 Ultravid HD-plus in comparison with some other 7x42 binoculars on the WEB-site of House of Outdoor (it is in Dutch, but the graphs and the table are easy to understand also for readers without Dutch ancestors).
Gijs van Ginkel

Dear all,
I published a test of the Leica 7x42 Ultravid HD-plus in comparison with some other 7x42 binoculars on the WEB-site of House of Outdoor (it is in Dutch, but the graphs and the table are easy to understand also for readers without Dutch ancestors).
Gijs van Ginkel

nice review,
tough competition, when it comes to transmission,
a dealer I saw around here is marketing the HD Plus as having
93% transmission,
just wonder what that figure comes from.
have anyone seen or heard any official Leica statement on this?

Vespobuteo, post 38,
In none of the Ultravid HD-plus binoculars we have investigated we could detect such a high transmission as 93%. Actually the 7x42 and 8x42 spectra match fairly well and we have repeated our measurements a number of times to be absolutely sure of our results.
Gijs van Ginkel

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back