• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which Power/mm Ultravid HD Plus? (3 Viewers)

Reading the charts has made me think...

Since the introduction of HT glass I have seen an increase in the review terms of "pop" "sparkle" and "cleanness"

It seems the terms are still used even in binoculars that are not winning the transmission race. If one reads enough reviews one can see the terms ascribed to glass with HT technology and consciously excluded from a glass with higher transmission but without the HT labeling.

Is there a placebo effect in place here ? Or does it have more to to with the shape of the transmission curve and what colors are accented and suppressed? I struggle less with the sparkle comments given to the Zeiss HT because the high transmission data appear to more nearly support it but this Leica HD+ has me scratching my head.

Is there more to extreme clarity than high transmission? I don't doubt for a minute that a HD+ is indeed awesome and improved but what makes it more sparkly than a bin with higher transmission? I understand the spike in reds for the famous Leica art images, blacker blacks, and higher macrocontrast.....but sparkle has me lost.

Since I can't get my hands on one locally, I am very tempted to order and try a 7x42 HD+ out. I plan on listening to my eyes and hands but I am just geeky enough to want to know why I/we see what we do.

I see no problem with the big 50s if YOU are carrying them all day but a pair of the 8x32 would be nice for your significant other to carry..... don't think she would want that big 50 around her neck.. all ....day .....long..

No a science based opinion (or IS IT???) but I chose Leica over the other images (Swaro SV, Zeiss HT) but I do think that while transmission numbers are very important, they are not the ONLY (or even the MAIN) deciding factor to me on the image (and I am not even talking ergos either which most agree are THE biggest factor-just overall image presented.)

I'm NOT however tied to the one brand at the hip forever-I very much want to handle a Zeiss SF...

Last edited:
Reading the charts has made me think...

Since the introduction of HT glass I have seen an increase in the review terms of "pop" "sparkle" and "cleanness"

It seems the terms are still used even in binoculars that are not winning the transmission race. If one reads enough reviews one can see the terms ascribed to glass with HT technology and consciously excluded from a glass with higher transmission but without the HT labeling.

Is there a placebo effect in place here ? Or does it have more to to with the shape of the transmission curve and what colors are accented and suppressed? I struggle less with the sparkle comments given to the Zeiss HT because the high transmission data appear to more nearly support it but this Leica HD+ has me scratching my head.

Is there more to extreme clarity than high transmission? I don't doubt for a minute that a HD+ is indeed awesome and improved but what makes it more sparkly than a bin with higher transmission? I understand the spike in reds for the famous Leica art images, blacker blacks, and higher macrocontrast.....but sparkle has me lost.

Since I can't get my hands on one locally, I am very tempted to order and try a 7x42 HD+ out. I plan on listening to my eyes and hands but I am just geeky enough to want to know why I/we see what we do.

You should buy the Leica and I promise you'll not be disappointed. After reading your post I just now took out my UVHD 10x42 and UV 8x20 BCL and compared them with the Nikon EII 8x30. All three provide spectacular views, but the Leicas do add a sparkle. I believe the "pop" or "sparkle" or "stardust" that makes you fall in love with the bins is actually conjured up by the red cherry dot on the right barrel. In addition to the light passing through the lenses, prisms and eyepieces, light that encounters the magical red dot shifts and enters from the from the side, and most definitely enhances the image. It also only works when the bins are purchased brand new. Used bins sadly lose that magical quality along with the warranty. 3:)

Edit - Added the picture. The red dot really works.

Attachments

• PHOTOBINS.JPG
    PHOTOBINS.JPG
    168.2 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back