• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which Redpoll? (5 Viewers)

those pale redpolls are possibly a population of Arctics not just a population with an Arctic ancestry.

how can you 'rule out' exilipes based on three examples and remembering this is one photo of an individual redpoll in Canada.....

And opinion on the bill is clearly divided:

It sort of looks good structurally for Arctic/Hoary... that little retrousee bill....
This bird's bill (particularly the upper mandible) certainly looks 'pushed in' to me too, compared with Nightbirder's other photo

Michael

Michael Frankis said:
And opinion on the bill is clearly divided:

This bird's bill (particularly the upper mandible) certainly looks 'pushed in' to me too, compared with Nightbirder's other photo

Michael

Oi you..leave me out of this.. I'm comprehensively on the fence over this one ;)

Tim Allwood said:
those pale redpolls are possibly a population of Arctics not just a population with an Arctic ancestry.

how can you 'rule out' exilipes based on three examples and remembering this is one photo of an individual redpoll in Canada.....
Tim,

Well I didn't say I had 'ruled out' exilipes I said "the feature I am suggesting probably rules out exilipes is the previously mentioned bill structure" I also said "Well bearing in mind I am basing my opinion on the three exilipes and fair number of flammea (including some resembling islandica) I am not sure my opinion would be very useful as all these birds have almost certainly originated from Europe and not North America."

I was merely giving my opinion based on my own experience, which as you have clearly pointed out is not very relevent!

Regards
Tristan

Tim Allwood said:
I think islandica actually refers to a DARK population that may be related to rostrata

....and the bill is fine too
According to (HELM) Finches & Sparrows- An Identification Guide (Clement P, Harris A & Davis J)

" C. f. islandica populations are intermediate in size between rostrata and flammea and contains both pale and dark birds closely resembling race hornemanni of Arctic and pure rostrata respectively....."

Hi Tristan

Please don't think I was saying your experience isn't relevant, I'm not one of your arsey experts, just that from anyones experience of three birds - even the best birder in the world - you can't conclude anything.....even a probability is stretching it a bit.....

I was just trying to be logical not rude! ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back