• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Why are Meopta's so hard to sell? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Paul, I’m Carmen and I have a pair of Meopta MeoPro HD. Would you be interested in buying mine? I am in the USA and am looking to sell them quickly for around $600obo due to my poverty. If I wasn’t poor, I definitely would not sell them, because I love them so much. When they were new they sold for $977.49. I just joined the forum today.
I’ll PM you.

What a pathetic scam.
  • "Carmen" has no member history here to be trying to sell gear
  • What format of MeoPro isn't even mentioned, odd that someone who loves them so wouldn't know
  • No MeoPros actually sell for as much as $977 even today, and "she" would have had hers for a while
  • The same post was repeated verbatim to someone not named Paul
  • This sounds ridiculous anyway, like a Nigerian inheritance email
  • Yes I only found out about you yesterday from searching Google for "How/Where to sell your binoculars."
  • I only have one pair of binoculars and I do love them. I use them to go bird watching on my college campus and surrounding green spaces.
  • They are Meopta MeoPro 8 x 42 HD. I don't know what else to call them.
  • I saw that like 3 people were interested in buying the original poster's binoculars in this chat and so I copied and pasted my request that Paul contact me to the other two or so people. I forgot to delete Paul's name and replace with the other people's name to address each one. I tried to comment on one of these to say what I did and apologize. Someone named Grainger. I really hardly ever use forums. I get confused by them. I mainly just use emails. When I do emails to potential employers about the same thing like all three have to look at my CV, I just copy and paste what I said and I change the name when I address them Dear (so and so). So I was doing that again, only I forgot about the name changing because I got ahead of myself.
  • IDK what to say. I didn't mean to sound like a Nigerian inheritance email. I'm sorry. Thanks for understanding.

I am sorry for any confusion that I have caused. I am a neurodivergent person, so I don't always communicate in the most clear ways. I will try to edit, check my work, and correct things, if I make mistakes and confuse people. Thank you.

Well, that was totally unexpected.

Have you considered using something like ChatGPT for your writing? It could be very helpful. (Unfortunately it will also be to scammers... caveat lector.)

Well, that was totally unexpected.

Have you considered using something like ChatGPT for your writing? It could be very helpful. (Unfortunately it will also be to scammers... caveat lector.)
I have never heard of ChatGPT, but I will look into it. Or I could just learn how to use forums, be more mindful and not get ahead of myself when I am trying to do stuff on them, and become a better writer. Sounds better. It will take longer...but then I get the skills. :) Yay skills. Yeah I can see now how I initially came across as a chatbot and not a human. But I am a human...I will go to the Writing Center. We have one on campus.

No, it's just that your writing didn't exactly inspire confidence. Chatbots are basically spitting out language on a given subject that sounds just like tons of text they've been trained on, so their output will sound very "normal" or "typical" (even too much so but never mind that for now) and it seems possible that you might find that helpful as a starting point or model. If you're about to graduate, I'm surprised you haven't had to visit the Writing Center by now... or heard about ChatGPT. Professors loathe it because students can just turn the output in and it sounds much like their own work would have.

No, it's just that your writing didn't exactly inspire confidence. Chatbots are basically spitting out language on a given subject that sounds just like tons of text they've been trained on, so their output will sound very "normal" or "typical" (even too much so but never mind that for now) and it seems possible that you might find that helpful as a starting point or model. If you're about to graduate, I'm surprised you haven't had to visit the Writing Center by now... or heard about ChatGPT. Professors loathe it because students can just turn the output in and it sounds much like their own work would have.
No, I always turn in my own work. Usually I get a decent grade. I have a 3.34 out of 4.0 GPA. I do not agree with cheating. I think it's immoral. I'm in the College of Liberal Arts within the Sociology program but the degree inside of that which I am pursuing is Sustainability, so maybe that's why they don't tell us about specific programs like ChatGPT. Sounds like more something they'd share with students in the computer sciences program. I've stopped by the writing center one time. I like to do everything by myself and avoid help as much as possible. Most of the time, I feel like I write well, and I feel confident in my writing. Just today, I was not doing so great. But then I fixed it, and I learned. :) I'll try to think of a way to inspire confidence. I learned about "yes...and" from Tedx. :) How do you inspire confidence when you write? Please share tips if you want.

Last edited:
Actually ChatGPT can write an essay that sounds halfway decent on Shakespeare or Sustainability or anything else you like. It makes one think twice about how much ordinary human writing is basically just recycling.

So I didn't mean to suggest that you should just learn tricks to "inspire confidence"; you're taking polite indirection too literally. What I really meant was that your posts sounded awkward and unnatural in so many ways: the people you addressed weren't looking for a MeoPro model; you didn't mention which one you had; "$977.49" is strangely precise as an original cost, and way too much for an 8x42 HD, and surely you didn't really pay that while living on student loans and eating from a food bank? (Even now that seems implausible.) And then there's the repetition by cut and paste, and the odd phrase "due to my poverty", and all this coming out of the blue with no prior sense of who you are. That's why your posts seemed highly suspicious, because of course there are scammers.

Actually ChatGPT can write an essay that sounds halfway decent on Shakespeare or Sustainability or anything else you like. It makes one think twice about how much ordinary human writing is basically just recycling.

So I didn't mean to suggest that you should just learn tricks to "inspire confidence"; you're taking polite indirection too literally. What I really meant was that your posts sounded awkward and unnatural in so many ways: the people you addressed weren't looking for a MeoPro model; you didn't mention which one you had; "$977.49" is strangely precise as an original cost, and way too much for an 8x42 HD, and surely you didn't really pay that while living on student loans and eating from a food bank? (Even now that seems implausible.) And then there's the repetition by cut and paste, and the odd phrase "due to my poverty", and all this coming out of the blue with no prior sense of who you are. That's why your posts seemed highly suspicious, because of course there are scammers.
Yes I guess that ordinary human writting is kinda like recycling. It can feel that way when I have to cite sources and repeat things other people have said to write about my topics for class, or my thesis. I try to create new meanings and at least I know it's new for me, and I am growing and learning as a person, each time I write something.

Yes I take things literally because I am neurodivergent. I think that the chatbots are based on neurotypical people, and that is not me. Lets see, you brough up a lot of good points. I think I wrote that way because I am new to this forum and I don't know your norms or unspoken rules of behavior. So I just guessed.

I just was looking for anyone looking for anything made by Meopta which I could talk to. Mainly in the realm of 8x42 or 10x42, without paying attention to MeoPro/MeoStar/Optika. I was looking more at the "Meopta 8x42" type of search. I now understand that it was more important for me to specify MeoPro and that I ought to have said 8x42 in my comment because you guys did not know that I was thinking you already knew I was talking about an 8x42 because your MeoStar for sale was one, I think. I also think I was anxious talking to new people so I just copied and pasted without trying too hard to actually talk to anyone, because talking to people can be hard and scary. So I was excited but also scared, and that made me write like that. Then I fixed it. :)

The price comes from a website where I found a review. Meopta MeoPro HD 8x42 Binocular. They listed MSRP in 2016 as that price. As for me, yes, I did not pay that amount in 2019 when I bought it using my student loans for my ornithology class. I got it for $450 plus shipping from an online store. I think it was OpticsPlanet. I was just thinking that I ought to put the price it originally cost so that I could make enough money to live on for the next two months when I sold it for whatever it was worth now. I was hoping to live on $250 per month. But I'm now thinking it's not worth as much as I thought.

I read that it sells on Rokslide for $400 used. What does it sell for here?

I am more scared of Rokslide than here because I have more in common with birders than hunters. I usually get shouted at by hunters because I am eating a plant-based diet. In places where I have worked, such as outdoor schools and camps, hunters sometimes are chaperones. When they see me eating plants in the mess hall, they get mad and verbally abuse me. When people shout at me, I have a PTSD reaction that is very uncomfortable.

Maybe I could try to make it last me 1.5 months if it is only worth $400 and maybe by the first week of April, I will have a job, since I have two interviews coming up on Friday. I just keep on getting rejected from jobs and interviews. That's why I have to sell my binoculars to make ends meet. Yes, I said poverty because it's weighing on my mind. I am super stressed about it. Anyway yes I have a problem with coming out of the blue and just saying whatever the first thing that comes to mind without any lead up or introductions because of how I was raised in an abusive home and because I am neurodivergent. So I have not been socialized to interact properly in interactions with people. But with time and therapy, hopefully this is something that I can learn. It does not come naturally to me.

What comes naturally is to take everyone literally and just blurt out something, anything, to try to get a conversation going. So yes. I am not really much like a bot, more like a person who survived trauma and has PTSD. That's one thing that makes me neurodivergent. There are others but I'm working on getting the diagnoses for the others. It costs money I do not have to pay to see if I have autism, for example, and SSDI and Medicaid rejected me twice. So I am supposed to get a lawyer and then wait a year for the lawyer to win me Medicaid and SSDI. If I were to get into a PhD and it was funded, I could then get all the health insurance and stuff I needed. Yay! I'm looking forward to the day I get benefits. This is how we neurodivergents talk, until we get better at socializing. Thanks for giving me tips. I will try to apply them to interacting better here and in other places.

You’re fine. This is a tough crowd. Price them fairly and hopefully someone won’t be so jaded by chatbots and Nigerian scams that they’re paralyzed by fear.
Would you say $400 is a better price or $500? Please be honest. I'll take your advice. :) and LOL :p :D They should "let it go" like Elsa from Frozen ;)

This is a tough crowd. Price them fairly and hopefully someone won’t be so jaded by chatbots and Nigerian scams that they’re paralyzed by fear.
A tough crowd indeed.

So yes. I am not really much like a bot, more like a person who survived trauma and has PTSD.
By now this has surely been more than enough discussion about you, but thanks for clarifying the situation. I do hope you understand that I wasn't saying that you sounded like a chatbot, just the reverse: suggesting how using one might(?) at times help you communicate more clearly. It's a new technology, and just a thought, but you may need any help you can get. If truly effective therapy for trauma even exists, it's awfully hard to find. Good luck.

A tough crowd indeed.

By now this has surely been more than enough discussion about you, but thanks for clarifying the situation. I do hope you understand that I wasn't saying that you sounded like a chatbot, just the reverse: suggesting how using one might(?) at times help you communicate more clearly. It's a new technology, and just a thought, but you may need any help you can get. If truly effective therapy for trauma even exists, it's awfully hard to find. Good luck.
Thank you 🙏

What a pathetic scam.
  • "Carmen" has no member history here to be trying to sell gear
  • What format of MeoPro isn't even mentioned, odd that someone who loves them so wouldn't know
  • No MeoPros actually sell for as much as $977 even today, and "she" would have had hers for a while
  • The same post was repeated verbatim to someone not named Paul
  • This sounds ridiculous anyway, like a Nigerian inheritance email
I agree … Buyer BeWare. This seller is trying too hard to unload these here. To many excuses not to sell elsewhere. Poverty story, to much detail …. Really !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back