• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Why are Meopta's so hard to sell? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
But keep in mind,...that for these bins...a lesser FOV is really not that much. In fact the Meostar's shine in near 420 feet, which is just great. I know the Swaros (450 Feet) and SF's (466 feet) are higher but one has to ask, how high is high? When does the 420 foot FOV Meostar somewhat equal the 'need' a person actually can use? Look at the price difference. Even at full price of near $929 (Sports Optics), the Swaro's and SF's are 2.5+ (Swaro at $2769 and SF at $2450) times the $. Is that worth it? That amounts to an extra $60 a 'FOV foot" for the Swaro and $51 for the SF.

And if FOV is that important to you, think of the bargain you are getting with the Meostar over the Ultravid...FOV and price. jim
That extra real estate in FOV is worth it's weight in gold to me. I would carry a WX if it didn't weigh 5 pounds. When I go from 450 feet to 420 feet, I get claustrophobic. I LOVE a big FOV with a flat field and tack sharp edges, and the bigger, the better!

Last edited:
That will incur more fees, no? ebay had gotten ridiculously expensive. Seller beware...
I know, but sometimes eBay is the only way you can sell something. I tried on Bird Forum classified and Astromart with no offers. I sell 90% of my binoculars on eBay. The last four binoculars I sold were sold on eBay. I seldom sell any on Bird Forum Classifieds or Astromart. eBay has a 100 times bigger market.

Last edited:
Meopta simply has no traditional name here in Europe and especially in Germany.

When in doubt, the vast majority of people will opt for a Zeiss, Leica or Swarovski.
The same fate shared with Nikon, that EDG is more of an internet chimera, hardly anyone has ever used one.
I think it is very difficult for other manufacturers to gain a foothold here, the big three are emptying the market.

Andreas
Meopta had a very reputable and widespread name in Europe and Germany, just in the hunting market. Not birding.

And I think too... I know when I would go into Sportsmans Warehouse or Cabella's.... the optics they had to sell were catering to hunters. One almost felt embarrassed by saying, 'no....I am a birder'..... Even the marketing images of the Meopta caters to the hunter.

Meopta had a very reputable and widespread name in Europe and Germany, just in the hunting market. Not birding.
Yes, maybe, but that doesn't change the fact that most hunters prefer Zeiss, Swarovski or Leica binoculars.
You only have to look in hunter forums to see which binocular manufacturers are being discussed there!
Meopta is also very popular with bird watchers with spotting scopes, but Zeiss and Swarovski dominate the market here too.
Conversely, of course, that doesn't mean that Meopta builds bad optics, IMO they deserve more attention.;)

Andreas

Last edited:
Yes, maybe, but that doesn't change the fact that most hunters prefer Zeiss, Swarovski or Leica binoculars.
You only have to look in hunter forums to see which binocular manufacturers are being discussed there!
Meopta is also very popular with bird watchers with spotting scopes, but Zeiss and Swarovski dominate the market here too.
Conversely, of course, that doesn't mean that Meopta builds bad optics, IMO they deserve more attention.;)

Andreas
Actually Kowa and Leica do quite well in discussions of hunting and spotters.

Actually Kowa and Leica do quite well in discussions of hunting and spotters.
Yes, Kowa is also popular with birders and spotting scopes, while Leica is somewhat on the decline for spotting scopes.

But you shouldn't compare the US binoculars market with the European or even German binoculars market, I think the Americans are a bit more open when it comes to binocular optics, there's a very strong Zeiss, Leica and later Swarovski tradition here.

Andreas

You will lose repair support and possibly any kind of warranty also when you have an orphan. Look at the Nikon EDG. When you send it in for repair, they send you an MHG. 😁
There are many people still using the original Trinovid , Zeiss FL, original EL, etc. They're not thinking about it breaking. They're just using it and enjoying being outdoors. Not everyone is thinking about resale value, constantly buying/selling and what they're going to do 10 yrs from now if their binocular isn't under warranty anymore. If you used a EDG for 8-10 years already then you've already got a lot of use out of it. You can decide to pay for a repair from an independent shop or get a new MHG from Nikon (a nice option, really).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back