• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Why are those dang Habicht's so BRIGHT! (1 Viewer)

You are right. I don't look at the edges either, but the size and quality of AFOV is always an enhancing element of immersion. The size of the AFOV, the clarity on the edges and 3d effect contribute to the immersive effect of the binoculars. This immersion is also present in Habicht, but anemic. This illusion of immersion is more pronounced in even at much lower price Nikon E2, due to the higher and cleaner FOV (however no field flattener). What I mean is that for me it is not important a number on paper that characterizes the FOV, or if I see at 1000m a few extra meters, it is important this accentuation of the illusion of immersion created of wider apparent fields of view.
The binoculars must be seen as a whole story, not in pieces. In reality a bino is a sum of qualities and defects. I admire a Bugatti for the top speed that can reached (here the excellent clarity on the center of the Swarovski) but I prefer a Porsche (here Nikon e2 8X30) which also reaches sufficiently "high speeds" on axis for all binocular drivers (impeccable contrast and resolution), but also has many other important qualities for a car/binocular...the list of qualities does not stop here only in one feature

PS I'm talking about the E2 8x30 here because it's the only direct and real strong opponent for the Habicht 8x30. I'm curious if [email protected] can put them next to each other in a detailed comparation test.
I didn't compare them side by side but I compared them with benchmark binoculars. I compare every pair of binoculars that comes through my hand with at least one pair of benchmark binoculars. The clarity in the center of Habicht unfortunately I did not measure it on my resolution chart, but from field comparation with benchmark binos I rated it as excellent
I have both the Habicht 8x30W and Nikon E2 8x30 and I like them both. The E2 does have a bigger AFOV which makes it feel more immersive, but for me that is the only advantage it has optically. The E2 does have an easier focuser and better eye cups. The Habicht with its almost 10% higher transmission just put's it at a different level than the E2 for me. It is just significantly brighter, and there is just a magic sparkle to the view in the daytime that the E2 doesn't have. For me, the E2 doesn't have the magic or the wow factor of the Habicht. Even comparing a Habicht with an alpha roof, the Habicht is always going to be brighter because of it's higher transmission, and it is always going to have the advantage of the 3D view that the NL or SF just don't have. Sure, they have a larger FOV with sharper edges, but it is flat and lifeless in comparison to the Habicht's almost lifelike view.

Last edited:
Now, the Habichts again. I don't want to discuss the astonishing sudden enthusiasm for some through and through well-known traditional binoculars (that may be followed by a similar abrupt change of mind in the near future).

I just want to remind a wise thread initiated by Troubadour not long ago: It's Not Always About the Optics!. I'd like to add: for me, it's equally about the ergonomics (and other design elements of binos so important in the daily routine of birding). Unfortunately, that's IMHO the clover hoof of the Habichts:

So let them be the brightest optical devices on earth (BTW we talk about a few percentage points) - honestly I don't care as long as I had to abdicate even contemporary eyecups.
The Habicht's have very poor eye cups and a very stiff focuser, but for the sheer quality of the view for the money, I don't think even the alpha roof's can beat them. The NL and SF are without a doubt a better all around birding binocular because of their superior ergonomics, but when it comes to the view nothing beats a Habicht if you value quality of view not quantity of view.

Totally agree with this. If you have to resort to using things like a Bino Bandit (or whatever) on a so called "Alpha" bin, then for me it's simply not worth it. even if on paper it is a minuscule bit brighter....
You would be surprised how much the Bino Bandit helps any binocular, even the alpha's by reducing incident light. If you haven't tried them, give them a whirl!

The bino banter is def a drug. I'm finding myself wanting to try some 8x Nocts, even tho I have a couple of perfectly excellent 8x's already (not having any luck selling off my 8x40 retros on here!). And yes, I did not expect it, but I find myself grabbing the 7x35's all the time. The 7x view is of course superb, I very seldom really bird in pouring rain, and they pack in my Domke field bag/satchel better than anything else - not to mention that I can barely feel them on my neck. And the reality is that if I was to damage them - water, dust, whatever - the warranty is excellent and so far (two experiences in past year with old binos) customer service has been flawless.

Yep... I've been tempted by the Habichts. Must-not-go-there... the short ER would be an issue for me since I wear specs? But I'd still like to try them :p
Try the Habicht 7x42's but remember they have a NARROW FOV! But outside of that, they are amazing! They are extremely light for a 42 mm, very sharp on-axis and the brightest 7x42 binocular you will EVER look through. I have the Noctivid 8x42, and they are easily the best Leica I have ever used, and I have tried just about all of them, including 7x35 Retrovid. They still don't quite have the view of the Habicht's though!

The Habicht's have very poor eye cups and a very stiff focuser, but for the sheer quality of the view for the money, I don't think even the alpha roof's can beat them. The NL and SF are without a doubt a better all around birding binocular because of their superior ergonomics, but when it comes to the view nothing beats a Habicht if you value quality of view not quantity of view.
I've no idea what you mean by quantity of view??? For me the poor eyecups, short eye-relief, stiff focusing and (perhaps disputable) glare issues make the Habichts not worth the maybe 1% or 2% increase in brightness they might have over top roofs. In my opinion a top binocular is not just all about optical quality - it has to have good ergonomics, a good focuser, good eye-relief/eyecups, durability, and be waterproof (or at least shower proof) etc. All these factors should come together synergistically to create a good birding binocular. To me the Habichts don't have that. Maybe 20 years ago they could have been at the top, but not now.

I've no idea what you mean by quantity of view??? For me the poor eyecups, short eye-relief, stiff focusing and (perhaps disputable) glare issues make the Habichts not worth the maybe 1% or 2% increase in brightness they might have over top roofs. In my opinion a top binocular is not just all about optical quality - it has to have good ergonomics, a good focuser, good eye-relief/eyecups, durability, and be waterproof (or at least shower proof) etc. All these factors should come together synergistically to create a good birding binocular. To me the Habichts don't have that. Maybe 20 years ago they could have been at the top, but not now.

For me the 10x40 Habichts have good ergonomics - porro's are generally very well balanced, a smooth and precise focuser (no it's the fastest I'll admit, but none of that slop you get with some binoculars). I don't wear glasses so the eye relief and eyecups are perfectly functional. I don't think the durability of armoured Habichts has been questioned. They're waterproof too.

I agree the 10x42 NLs are better in many respects - the focuser is faster, and there's enough eye-relief for glasses wearers and they clearly win with edge sharpness. I honestly can't say glare has been a problem with the Habichts, or the short periods when I borrowed the NLs but I know some people report issues with both. I can't comment on the equivalent ELs as I've not tried them.

That both are sold as current models suggests there is a market for both.

I agree that the Habicht does not have as good of ergonomics as the top alpha roofs, and they have a stiff focuser and poor eye cups, but it depends on how much you like optical quality or the view if you are willing to tolerate these idiosyncrasies. The Habicht's are not as good of an all around birding binocular as a top alpha roof but when it comes to the view they will beat the alpha on brightness, 3D, transparency and a relaxed view every time.

Last edited:
For me the 10x40 Habichts have good ergonomics - porro's are generally very well balanced, a smooth and precise focuser (no it's the fastest I'll admit, but none of that slop you get with some binoculars). I don't wear glasses so the eye relief and eyecups are perfectly functional. I don't think the durability of armoured Habichts has been questioned. They're waterproof too.

I agree the 10x42 NLs are better in many respects - the focuser is faster, and there's enough eye-relief for glasses wearers and they clearly win with edge sharpness. I honestly can't say glare has been a problem with the Habichts, or the short periods when I borrowed the NLs but I know some people report issues with both. I can't comment on the equivalent ELs as I've not tried them.

That both are sold as current models suggests there is a market for both.
I disagree that the NL is sharper on-axis than the Habicht. The Habicht is an alpha porro. A porro is simpler to make perfect than a roof prism binocular. IMO, the perfection of the porro optics will at least match an alpha roof in on-axis sharpness, if not surpass it if you have equal quality glass and coatings like the Habicht has. On-axis, a Habicht is just as sharp as any binocular out there.

[email protected]

What are the first 3 digits from your Nikon E2 8x30 Serial Number?
My E2's are new and the first 3 digits of the Serial Number are 821. The newer E2's have higher transmission than the older models, but they still are about 10% lower than the Habicht's. The Habicht's are also way brighter than the famous Nikon 8x32 SE. Dang, those Habicht's are bright!

From houseofoutdoor by Dr. Gijs van Ginkel
20220321_090832.jpg

Last edited:
Yet I still prefer the views with my SE 8X32 and 10x42, which are good at thwarting glare, Oh that is right you have to use a bino bandit to deal with the glare. Dennis there are many binoculars who are at the top of their game and do not have 95% transmission.
So I am going to Vegas and am wondering (like the Clint Eastwood movie "the Gauntlet") which gets sold first - should I put money on the Habicht 8X30 or the 7X42 - (Strange you had these exact glass less than a year ago If I remember) or should I place my bet on the Noctivid, I am probably leaning towards the Noctivid.

Brightness is not everything and i find my old Swift Audubon Porro nicer to look through than my Habicht 10x40 but i guess Clint Eastwood characters would opt for the ruggedness of the Habicht's GA with all the action going on ;)

Yet I still prefer the views with my SE 8X32 and 10x42, which are good at thwarting glare, Oh that is right you have to use a bino bandit to deal with the glare. Dennis there are many binoculars who are at the top of their game and do not have 95% transmission.
So I am going to Vegas and am wondering (like the Clint Eastwood movie "the Gauntlet") which gets sold first - should I put money on the Habicht 8X30 or the 7X42 - (Strange you had these exact glass less than a year ago If I remember) or should I place my bet on the Noctivid, I am probably leaning towards the Noctivid.
Brightness is just one characteristic of a binocular, but I would just as soon have one that is brighter and has higher transmission than not. Especially when you only have 30 mm of aperture, as in the Habicht 8x30 W. Also, that 95% transmission sparkles in the daytime! The SE or E2 just don't sparkle like a Habicht. I LOVE the sparkle! I would probably sell the Noctivid before the Habicht. I like the bright 3D a little better. Don't lose all your money in Vegas, you won't be able to buy any more binoculars!:)

Brightness is not everything and i find my old Swift Audubon Porro nicer to look through than my Habicht 10x40 but i guess Clint Eastwood characters would opt for the ruggedness of the Habicht's GA with all the action going on ;)
The Swift just doesn't have that high transmission sparkle of the Habicht. The Swift is a relaxing view, but not as wow as the Habicht.

I absolutely agree.
Ultravids, and my Meoptas arern't as bright as some, but the view is lovely, warm and more saturated colours.
This brightness thing is not the be all and end all. I can see things at dusk with my 'less bright' 10x42 Meoptas, just fine thanks!!
Not quite as good, though! I like the view through my Noctivid 8x42, but it doesn't have the 3D or sparkle of the Habicht.

The Swift just doesn't have that high transmission sparkle of the Habicht. The Swift is a relaxing view, but not as wow as the Habicht.
But for my eyes the old Swift gives me the wow feeling, at the same time the Habichts are much brighter and build like a tank. I like to have options. For hiking the Habicht's rock!

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back