• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Why no Woodpeckers in Ireland (1 Viewer)

I once spent an amusing hour phishing for birds around Baltimore gardens with Harry - Harry apparently completely unaware of the effect his phishing was having on the local residents ("hey ma, whats that man doing in the garden?" "i dont know luv but get into the house quick while i ring the guards")...as i recall we didn't find anything...

I once spent an amusing hour phishing for birds around Baltimore gardens with Harry - Harry apparently completely unaware of the effect his phishing was having on the local residents ("hey ma, whats that man doing in the garden?" "i dont know luv but get into the house quick while i ring the guards")...as i recall we didn't find anything...

Be fair, the guards have enough to do without charging someone for making odd squeaking noises! As for the presence of local residents, I shall have to take your word for that, as I was too engrossed in looking for birds to take much notice of people... ;)
That's the beauty of working 'typical' spots (in my case, the Old Head and Knockadoon), or well-worked traditional areas like Cape Clear, as the locals know that one's pishing and wandering around are harmless! I suppose I was still in 'Cape mode' when I was pishing in Baltimore.

This little feller was in a neighbour´s garden today. Sorry the photos are so bad, all I had was a pair of bins and a mobile phone. It doesn´t prove breeding....but it´s the one I´ve been waiting for!;) B :)B :)

Last edited:
This little feller was in a neighbour´s garden today. Sorry the photos are so bad, all I had was a pair of bins and a mobile phone. It doesn´t prove breeding....but it´s the one I´ve been waiting for!;) B :)B :)

That would appear to put a different spin on things ;) lol

Jan

Why do they say no woodpeckers in Ireland?

Absolutely fantastic Sancho:clap:

Replied to your PM separately; you led me to believe that the pictures were bad!

This is getting exciting; I think it's time to rename this thread!!!

Absolutely fantastic Sancho:clap:

Replied to your PM separately; you led me to believe that the pictures were bad!

This is getting exciting; I think it's time to rename this thread!!!
Thanks Pianoman....it´s an absolute Hiberno-Woodpecker-Fest Out There!:t:

hi Sancho

Great pictures and why are there not 'Any woodpeckers in Ireland' Yes.... yes..... after all

Yes there are proof in your pictures :t:

Kathy
x

hi Sancho

Great pictures and why are there not 'Any woodpeckers in Ireland' Yes.... yes..... after all

Yes there are proof in your pictures :t:

Kathy
x
Well, there´s a woodpecker in Ireland, that´s for sure. But I reserve judgement on its provenance...whether Native Irish or British Immigrant, I´ve no idea. I enjoyed watching it immensely, but I´ll be out in the woods hereabouts next Spring (Sans tape-lure;)), listening for drumming and looking for its Mommy and Daddy.....

but I´ll be out in the woods hereabouts next Spring (Sans tape-lure;)), listening for drumming and looking for its Mommy and Daddy.....

you'd be better off using playback, mate! A lone pair of GSW wont drum much, as they have no neighborus to ward off. It's skirmishes and aggro which makes the noise. A little judicious use of playback will (near as) confirm either way if there is anything there, and will do no harm to the birds at all. March would be an ideal time.

The real question is, does this arrival in the neighbourhood merit celebration by way of Sancho´s awarding himself a new pair of Swarovski HD/EL binoculars? (I think not, even if it is a Sign from the Woodpecker God....)

None of those seem to have hung around for more than a few days....

One of the great problems in irish birding is that there are so few birders. As a consequence, once a bird is seen and reported at a given location, and everyone interested has ticked it, it may hang around for weeks without anybody checking or reporting. This is a real problem when visiting Cork (say) in the Autumn with only a weekend to play with...the Cork boys do their best but there are so many great sites and so few birders...

I notice that the NIBA monthly report states "the pair of Great Spotted Woodpeckers in Co. Down is reported to have bred again possibly for the third year in row." And apprently the Birdwatch Ireland organ (Wings) has identified GSW as "Irelands newest breeding species" - though i haven't seen the item myself yet...

I notice that the NIBA monthly report states "the pair of Great Spotted Woodpeckers in Co. Down is reported to have bred again possibly for the third year in row." And apprently the Birdwatch Ireland organ (Wings) has identified GSW as "Irelands newest breeding species" - though i haven't seen the item myself yet...

edited out

Last edited:
Be fair, the guards have enough to do without charging someone for making odd squeaking noises!

I was thinking more of a conversation along the lines of:

Guard, on phone: "Sarge, he's saying something about seducing girls and recording their telephone calls"

Harry: "No, luring birds by taping their calls"...

Sancho said:
The real question is, does this arrival in the neighbourhood merit celebration by way of Sancho´s awarding himself a new pair of Swarovski HD/EL binoculars?

Go ahead, Sancho as long as we don't have to pay for them ;)

Birdwatch features the new breeders also. So, there we have it....they now breed here and can survive. No reintroduction needed, they'll do it all by themsleves.

Early days yet vogeljung.
Spotted sandpiper is one of just a few american waders to have bred in europe....but they havent established a population!

No gurantee the woodpeckers will establish themselves.

Owen

Last edited:
Following all the recent sightings and the media coverage heralding the 'return' of the GSW to Ireland, are we really seeing the species re-establish itself on the island or is it an irruption that will come to naught?

Following all the recent sightings and the media coverage heralding the 'return' of the GSW to Ireland, are we really seeing the species re-establish itself on the island or is it an irruption that will come to naught?
That´s the million-dollar question. The male of our local pair disappeared in early April, the young was raised by a lone female. I assume a sparrowhawk did for the Dad (I´ve no direct evidence, but they are active in the area and one has been hanging about the nest-hole, on adjacent branches and such-like). New blood from Britain in the form of an annual influx would be good, I suppose, and presumably healthy for the tiny established population.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back