• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Will Leica upgrade ratchety focus? (1 Viewer)

APSmith

Does anyone know if Leica will improve the focus of regular Ultravids to resemble newer HDs?

Thanks, APS

(EDIT) I mean as a billable service to the regular Ultravid.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if Leica will improve the focus of regular Ultravids to resemble newer HDs?

Thanks, APS

(EDIT) I mean as a billable service to the regular Ultravid.

Yes they will. I bought my 8x42 BRs from my local dealer who said this was the sharpest pair of bins to go through his store. It was a cherry pair that he used to compare every other bin to, but it had that bad notchy focus. I bought them and sent them back to Leica with a note complaining about the bad focus wheel.

They sent me back a letter stating that repairs would be performed in Germany under my Passport Warranty and gave a date of completion that was about 3 1/2 months from that date. I received them about five days ahead of schedule with what I think is the HD focus system, or at least some other Leica solution. Anyway my focus is much smoother so I have zero complaints about these bins.

John

Yes they will. I bought my 8x42 BRs from my local dealer who said this was the sharpest pair of bins to go through his store. It was a cherry pair that he used to compare every other bin to, but it had that bad notchy focus. I bought them and sent them back to Leica with a note complaining about the bad focus wheel.

They sent me back a letter stating that repairs would be performed in Germany under my Passport Warranty and gave a date of completion that was about 3 1/2 months from that date. I received them about five days ahead of schedule with what I think is the HD focus system, or at least some other Leica solution. Anyway my focus is much smoother so I have zero complaints about these bins.

John

Hi John. Thanks much for the reply.

That is very good to know. I now wonder what Leica would charge for this "repair", if it is NOT under warranty. Also, I'm wondering what time of the year I would miss the bins the least ...

APS

Interesting thread. But its not clear if Leica are simply servicing the existing pre-HD focusing mechanism, or upgrading the bins to the HD mechanism. I've got 8x42 BRs which developed a jerky focus and were serviced under warranty to be reasonably smooth (not brilliantly so). I would think you'd have to pay if you wanted the HD focus but I may be wrong.

Sean

Gang -

I can't speak for the entire world here, but at least here in the US this has been offered as a free upgrade. I know this forum (more than any other that I've seen) has really gone on about the "notchy focus" deal. This is a design feature in that we use metal on metal - brass disk on an aluminum helicoid - without gobs of grease like competitors.

The reason for this is that it allows uniform performance in all conditions. E.g. heavily lubricated focus systems congeal in cold temperatures and become very stiff, in hot conditions these systems often run too fast with a lot of "over travel" problems. Also, since these products are built to last (and I do see 20-30 year old Leitz Trinovids regularly being used at nearly every show I attend!) so without grease to collect dirt over the years this system will continue to work over the long haul. Heavily greased systems will turn to sludge.

The HD focus system, as I understand is not really all that different from the BR and the upgrade consists of a series of teflon washers placed at strategic points. As to the 3.5 month turn around I can't begin to address that. Likely has something to do with the timing, and of course when a product is sent to Leica USA, then to Leica Germany, back to USA, then to consumer you will lose some time as well, but who knows I'd have to look into specifics of this particular situation to know.

The good news is I believe these upgrades are now done in house here in the US. So no need to send over to Germany. Further from all I've heard over the past 3 months from consumers, Leica USA, and on the forums, binocular turnarounds right now seem to be running near 2 weeks & less here in the US. As a liason to the company working consumer shows, I ALWAYS hear about it if repair times start getting long! ;p

Regarding the question about all of the repair techs being on holidays, it is certainly a possibility. It's a very foreign concept to us here in the US, but indeed when holidays come in sumer, it seems half of Europe shuts off the lights, and locks the doors for a month at a whack!

Hopefully this helps!

Jeff

Thanks Jeff, my perception was that the bins now focus just like the newer HDs. I did have a spare a Nikon SE so I was set there, otherwise I would have lived with the sloppy focus wheel, though It was worth the wait to me.

John

I tried the old BR's at Cameraland last year and they were fine, a little play at first but smooth, and I just got a pair of HDs and they feel the same, smooth with a slight amount of play at first. I like them better than my Zeiss taking everything into play. I'd advocate to anyone getting Ultravids and sending them for a fix under warranty if you have a problem--if you like them for all the other reasons. I understand the personal aspect of alphas, but the Leicas have "fit" me since trying Ultras, but I just got a pair now.

I know this forum (more than any other that I've seen) has really gone on about the "notchy focus" deal.

Boy, isn't that he truth! I suspect parrots. I've had 5 Leicas over the years and found the focus excellent in every one of them. I think I encountered one pair in a shop once that was a bit notchy, not exactly an epidemic.

To me Leica gets it right. A very quick action, light feeling (read: not heavily damped like many others), and consistent hot and cold. I currently have 8x32 BNs and 7x42 BRs and the Ultravids are the best focusing bins I've ever used, regardless of brand. I should add that nothing else snaps to focus as quickly and positively as a Leica, to me. This is an attention to detail that makes for a great birding bin IMO.

Last edited:
..... Also, since these products are built to last (and I do see 20-30 year old Leitz Trinovids regularly being used at nearly every show I attend!) so without grease to collect dirt over the years this system will continue to work over the long haul......
Jeff

I have owned a 10x40 old Trinovid, and then bought a 8x32 BA Trinovid. Neither of these ever had a ratchety focus. And all the other ones of those models I had tried did not have a problem either. But when time came to get a new pair, the Ultravids (that was in the pre-HD period) mostly came with that crummy focus, to a varying degree. Silky smoot focus, that was customary on the earlier models, just was a matter of luck when one ordered a pair. Needless to say, I did not buy Leica then. And I'm still very happy with my Zeiss FL 8x40, though Leica's solution with the diopter adjustment is vastly better. But I still find it puzzling that all is blamed to be a "design" feature, when it was possible to achieve fine focus earlier. And my Ultravid 10x25 is perfect as well. (Don't know whether it has Teflon washers.)

I have owned a 10x40 old Trinovid, and then bought a 8x32 BA Trinovid. Neither of these ever had a ratchety focus. And all the other ones of those models I had tried did not have a problem either.

My experience as well. I still own two Leica bins: a 7 x 42 BA (an early model made when Leica was a GmbH) and a late series 10 x 50 BA (Leica was now an AG). The focus on both is silky smooth, free of backlash and consistent over the years and in all weathers. I had the same smooth and consistent focusing experience with my Leica camera lenses and have always attributed the results to precise machining, scrupulous quality control and the natural self-lubricating qualities of brass against brass (i.e., no grease).

My experience as well. I still own two Leica bins: a 7 x 42 BA (an early model made when Leica was a GmbH) and a late series 10 x 50 BA (Leica was now an AG). The focus on both is silky smooth, free of backlash and consistent over the years and in all weathers. I had the same smooth and consistent focusing experience with my Leica camera lenses and have always attributed the results to precise machining, scrupulous quality control and the natural self-lubricating qualities of brass against brass (i.e., no grease).

And my experience too; the focus on the 8x32BNs I used to own and the 8x50BAs I still do is first rate. Much better than my 8x42BRs, even after Leica servicing.
IMHO Leica was trying to solve a problem that didn't exist in designing its 'good focusing at all temperatures' Ultravid. But maybe it's because I bird in temperate western Europe; does anyone find the Ultravid an improvement in very high or very low temperatures?

Sean

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back