• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Winterwatch 2021 (1 Viewer)

The live wildlife webcams from Winterwatch where due to start today as was mentioned on the BBC Springwatch Facebook website from 10.00am-10.00pm from Monday 18th January the day before the Tuesday-Friday hour long evening Winterwatch programme started that series. There must be some technical problems as no word from the BBC today.

Pretty good first episode. Enough to keep the interest going and some decent factoids. Great camerawork! Looking forward to tomorrow's one.

John

If you want even more to watch, then Wildearth channel on youtube posts daily 3 hours morning and 3 hours evening live safari from South Africa. I especially liked frogs, spotted flycatchers, wood sandpipers and swallows... just kidding, best is the prime megafauna. In the past month there was a drinking cheetah snatched by a crocodile and a leopard hunting a warthog - both on live stream.

It's the calls in the background I'm meaning. Out of curiosity I made sonograms, and there are some which seem unlike any known W Palearctic vocal type (as well as others which look similar to Parrot).

I stumbled across a winterwatch bird of prey quiz on the BBC website.
I thought "baited breath" was a very strange term to use, especially with respect to illegal persecution. However, I have since found out "bate" does have a falcon or maybe falconry related meaning about flapping wings or something.

Screenshot_20210121_140027_com.android.chrome.jpg

A strange little cheat in last night's programme - a couple of seconds of a Red Fox on snow: clearly (to me) a North American Red Fox. They are hairier, having longer, more flowing guard hairs - less pumped up by dense-packed winter fur than our own. What was the point? It just didn't look like a British fox, and this programme is supposed to be about British wildlife. I suppose they think the hoi-polloi won't notice, but even if that is the case, its no excuse for showing them inappropriate fox photos from which even the observant can only learn wrong things. Very odd.

John

My highlight last night was Iolo in the cave- seeing the Cave Spiders, the hibernating droneflies as well as Herald & Tissue moths.

And boy did that Goosander have a hearty meal with that Salmon. Great footage though will probably irk anglers wanting to cull more of them!

I enjoyed the film on The Mandarin Duck a bird I last saw in 2016 found it interesting and I actually loved Chris's film on finding empty nests in winter and guessing what birds would use them, I got 2 out of 5. Maybe it's just me but I feel they are not showing live cameras as much as they have done before they just keep saying 'You too can keep a eye on the live cameras they are available from 10am-10pm' but they haven't done the usual oh there's a live badger, oh there's a Otter etc that's my only criticism.

Another good programme with the highlights much as described above. Within the limitations of both distancing and scale imposed by the pandemic they are doing very well indeed.

As if it wasn't bad enough Iolo calling Penduline Tits parrotbills last night, why is there a drake Redhead supposedly on the Minsmere scrape tonight?
John

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back