• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Painting with Birds with Jim & Nancy Moir (1 Viewer)

Euan Buchan

The Edinburgh Birdwatcher
Supporter
Scotland
Just saw a trailer for this on tv and looks good ‘Painting Birds with Jim & Nancy Moir starts Wednesday 19th April 9pm on Sky Arts. Jim & Nancy go and look for birds to paint along with celebrities.

Bayern Munich - Manchester city, Champions league quarter final, also starting tonight 9pm.... Will have to make a choice !!!! 😋

Great programme with a couple of very passionate presenters. I was very important with Jim's painting of a curlew as I had only seen his cartoon type artwork before.

I recorded it and have just watched it.

It was a very pleasant hour of telly.... and I'm way far from being any sort of artist. I might be able to do landscapes now though LOL

The Curlew picture was a cracker!

I find it really annoying how the artists make it look so easy😄. This week's Golden Eagle was fantastic and Edwin Collins Oystercatcher was brilliant, I can't imagine having to learn to draw/ paint with my weaker hand full credit to him for persevering.

These programmes have been a bit of a mixed bag. The bits where Jim is painting and talking about painting and birds and the bits where he is talking to other artists are great. Some of the celebrity bits are excruciating and forced, Jim is not an actor! I don't really think Nancy adds anything to the format.

The person selecting the stock footage is just reading the catalogue description!

I think they could have been a lot braver and just made it Jim and painting and birds, and lost all the add ons. Plus hired a dedicated wildlife camera op.

Still worth watching.

It's a shame, I can't find any streaming link, except on 'Sky arts' where I have to choose a membership blablablablablabla :(

I would compare this to Mortimer and Whitehouse Gone Fishing as in they are more about the characters than the actual subject matter. Did I imagine a random scene where they were very briefly walking along the front at Filey? It certainly looked like Filey but didn't have any relevance to the show. Also how did they manage to get one of the Viewpoints to themselves at Bempton?

Also how did they manage to get one of the Viewpoints to themselves at Bempton?
Really? Usually location managers and their runners backed by a healthy budget......used to be and still is with Middle Eastern sheiks a big bag of cash, though nowadays there are probably lengthy contracts drawn up prior to filming, risk assessments, public liability etc.
I recall a farmer / landowner changing his mind and welcoming the BBC Southwest crew to roam freely on his land on Tresco to film after a fat brown envelope was warmly received. Hence why the farmer and his family spent that night in the New Inn ( per the then landlord ).

Back to Jim, whilst I much prefer his gentler old partner Bob, he does donate much of the proceeds from the sale of his artwork to many charities. I will watch this on catch up when the footie season is over.

I've only been to Bempton once but there was plenty of room for everyone at the viewpoints, even when there was a crowd watching the albatross.

I've only been to Bempton once but there was plenty of room for everyone at the viewpoints, even when there was a crowd watching the albatross.
You should have seen it just after the Covid restrictions were eased and the Albatross was present it was mental there certainly wasn't much space then!

While I think think the idea of the program is great, particularly as it incorporates painting, it seems unable to avoid coming across as wooden and contrived. When Jim appears on Sky's Landscape Artist series he always manages to achieve a great result, but I'm not such a fan of his bird painting which is constantly ruined by him using black paint, a very big no-no. I remember being taught that it was for lettering only and it's impact in a painting was to to just leave holes; shame. This is of course only my personal opinion.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back